1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin State Shoot???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Everything you wanted to know.

Dave Eberhart

2. gordy h

gordy h Member

The program states ,the $5 fee is part of the $29 . As far as a rat hole, keep up the negative talk,it's just what our sport needs. Butch H

3. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I think WGC makes an attempt to host a good shoot. And it is the only club in good ol WI that has enough traps to do so. Even so, the perception is that this shoot is a cash cow for WGC, not sure if that's valid or not. I will say that WGC could improve its image a bit by painting the trap houses, mowing the entire range (last year it was not--which surprised me)and generally making the effort to put some earnings back into the facility.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Thanks for the information, Dave...Great Site...65 Pages worth!!!

I've never been there, but it's close enough to plan a visit and check it out.

Smok'n Joe

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I'm at work and I have to make this quick. The history of the Waukesha gun club is virtually unmatched. I believe a lot of hard working people try to give the shooters the best state shoot that they can offer. I do believe in these hard economic times the board, manager, should be congratulated on how they are bringing this club back economically as well as appearance wise. I have never attended a state shoot at Waukesha that I did not enjoy myself. Shooting, seeing old friends, eating, it's a good time. Enjoy it!
    Steve Balistreri

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Great shoot, great targets, and one of the BEST trophy programs in the country!!!

GS

7. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

one huge improvement would be to have the same type of machine on each field...since some shoot on hand sets, and others on Pat traps there is the preception that the table is tilted toward those who can get pre-squaded onto the pat's.

Short of replacing the hand sets with pat's, an alternative would be to have a blind draw to determine shooting banks.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hand sets throw a better target.

Simple physics.

Less friction, more spin. Problem is you need a human to load it. Any one care to comment on the retro thing?

HM

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

trophys are not that great for nonresident.

tony

10. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I've got no beef with WGC or the Wisconsin state shoot, but to say their trophy package is one of the BEST is crazy. If you're an out of state shooter, be prepared for disappointment. Other than that, though, I've always enjoyed my trips to the WI state shoot.

--Dan

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Butch, where in the program does it state that the daily fees are included in the $29.00? In fact, the only place I saw the word 'fee' mentioned was in the 16yd champ event where it states if you choose to shoot just the 1st 100 the cost would be $34.00, including the daily fees.

If, in fact, the fees are included in the $29.00 I think there could be a violation of rule III.2.b where is states all shooters must pay the same target fees.

Think about it. If there are two events one day and you shoot both of them, your second event you pay $29.00 for targets because the daily fee is collected only once. If I skip the first event, I'm only paying $24.00 for targets for the second event because $5.00 of my entry are my daily fees. To me, that's a violation of the above mentioned rule.

I really think they forgot to put the daily fee thing in the program.

12. gordy h

gordy h Member

Tom, I maybe wrong, I look at the admission as the ATA and WTA fees, what else can admission be? But you are right it's not any where I can find.
    I'll go anyway, it won't brake me, and it's the high light of the year for me. It's my time to remember old friends. Vic, Ray, Austin, and lots of others who are still blowing holes in the sky. Butch H

13. fly

fly Active Member

ask someone what they pay in Property taxes, and then lets talk about it being a cash cow. Support your sport.

Phil

14. dickotto

dickotto TS Member

Sorry folks - the $29 per 100 is the target fee. The daily fees (ATA - $2; WTA - $3) are extra even though the program does not state that. But then again it doesn't say "included" either. The only thing missing this year from the target & daily fees is the Wisconsin state sales tax. We don't have to collect that any more as we are now a 501-C3 organization

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

thanks for the clarification Dick. We'll be missing the shoot again this year. Just too many things going on. Don't know if you had heard or not, but my mom passed away last week. Dad's doing well and is even talking about trying to shoot again.

Tell Arlene hi from me and good luck at the state shoot.

Tom

16. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Hi Tom: This is Alex Kotter from Superior Wisconsin. I heard of your moms passing last week at the EauClaire shoot. I was asking where your dad was and that is when I heard. I give my symathies to you and your family. Say Hi To Dad for me I missed bS'ing with him at the last shoot. He did tell me last last time I talked with him that he was thinking of trying to start shooting again. take care alex.

17. brad patterson

brad patterson Active Member

Well as the WTA director who sets up a vast majority of the state shoot (as I did last year) let me clarify a few things. First the daily fee is not included in the target fee. It would be $29.00 per hundred plus daily fee on first event that day that you shoot. Trophies - We have a nice selection and are complimented on our selection every year. Granted we pay out more to our WI state shooters than non WI shooters - it is afterall the WI state shoot.

The club. The club has done a nice job for the past several years getting the traps and the grounds looking nice. They have repainted all the trap houses, rebuilt stuff that needed to be fixed, repaired or replaced. They have cut all the grass, made the grounds look very nice. They have upgraded the pat traps they have, have done improvements and upgrades to the bathrooms in the clubhouse and upgrades to the kitchen area outside, just to name a few.

As for target prices, the shoot has so many added costs that you do not have for a normal shoot, it has to be paid for. Yes rent to the club, labor is a huge cost, trophies, porta pottys, dumpsters,etc, we even have a gentleman put water down on the gravel road to keep the dust down. Yes we do have a great deal of handsets in use. like someone else stated slow down a bit and you will get a good target. We do an extensive training deal with our workers so I know the quility of kids we hire and the standards that they are held to. Plus everyone one has the same opportunity to get up in the middle of the night on the first day to pre-squad for the traps they want.

Trust me you give the club a long term lease and you'll get your upgraded power for camping area and more pat traps, can't expect it on a year to year deal.

Lastly, We have a great relationship with the WGC. We have worked together the past several years to provide the best shoot we can. But once the shoot begins, it's not the club. It is the WTA. The WTA runs and is incharge of the grounds and the shoot. I have no doubt that this years shoot will be very successful and many folks will attend and have an enjoyable time. If your a WI resident shoot great scores cause there are a bunch of youngsters out there shooting great. For our guests from out of state, you have to beat that Harlan guy - good luck on that one!!

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. My contact info is available on the WI website.

Brad Patterson

18. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

The WTA cannot afford Pat Traps for the additional fields they require once per year at WGC but think they can buy and run their own trap range!

Something wrong here?

Regards

W&W

19. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I've been at WGC as of late and there has been quite an effort to improve the appearence of the grounds.

In regards to my "cash cow" comment, its milk is used to the pay the property tax, or so I'm told-- I get that, money comes in and it goes out. My intent was to say that the cow won't milk forever. The taxes will still have to be fed, even after the cow goes dry.

The shade at WGC is nice. I would think that some temporary power could be brought in for more campers--I know of a number of camper equiped shooters who want to camp but can't, and are now spending $ on hotels.

The price is reasonable for a state shoot. If you want to see a fee problem then go to a skeet shoot once. 3 cents per target for the NSSA, and 3 cents for the WSSA for every target, and no money is returned from the NSSA, not ever, it goes to support the national and their grounds. They wonder why I don't shoot skeet anymore. The trophy focus should be on the in-state shooter, as the premier events are for state championships--not having this focus would make this shoot just another big shoot.

Just my 2 cents, I think the WTA does and excellent job running the shoot, and the WGC adequately perpares the grounds, and WGS has heard recent compliants, and is working to address those issues. The hand sets vs Pats will have to be delt with eventually--espeically for the doubles events. I agree that getting experienced hand setters in setting the targets and you'll get a fine pair, but put a teenager in the house who first saw a trap machine yesterday and the targets will be all over. Last year the worst double targets I shot where at state.

Given that, I'll show up, have a great time, hopefully shoot well, and if not, I won't my poor scores on the WTA or WGC.

onward and upward

20. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Anyhow tis the season to complian about WGC...as predictable as the changing of the seasons.

I don't think its always justified.

However, one small comment...if the investment in pat traps isn't warrented, then what investment is warrented to keep a vital source of income for the WGC? What investment would be needed to find replacement revenue if the state shoot went north? Just my two bits of logic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
where the wisconsin state trap shoot held on june 27 2015

wisconsin state trap shoot 2015