1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin state shoot-targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by petey, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petey

petey Member

Just talked to a guy shooting at the Wis. state shoot today. He was shooting on the hand-set banks and said it was terrible. Don't people understand that on these banks there is a person setting each bird on the machine one at a time and you have to give them a little more time if you want a good target?
    everyone is use to automatic throwers and the pace gets to be a little to fast for the person in the house,if everyone could just slow down a touch I'm sure the targets would improve. I think the management should put signs up that explain this. Of course the other alternative would be to put all pat traps in and make it fair for everyone.(my choice)

Pete

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Or make them all hand-sets. Whatever puts the entire field on the same level.

Tim

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have shot there for years and will be shooting there from Thursday on. I find it VERY doubtful that any singles or Handicap targets were not within ATA standards. However I have shot doubles that were very bad on the hand sets. Being a target handsetter myself I think it is very hard to set bad singles targets. Also handset machines or auto I have not shot a what I would call a "fast" squad all year.

GS

PS Do not be your own worst enemy and shoot too fast.

4. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Although I will not be there this year ( the Southern Zone is the same time ), I have shot many times there and always on the hand set traps. I have found the singles and hdcp targets to be mostly very good. The doubles on the other hand, mostly awful. Squads were calling too fast. Having said that, on my last doubles I shot there last year, I waited a little bit longer and shot my best score so far and my first 50 straight. Just give the poor setters a little time. You will get good targets from the hand sets. JMHO
    Nubs Wagner

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I will be there Thursday on, I like the hand sets, when you call for a bird, it is there, it seems faster than the Pats....but agreed, you have to slow down.(in my case that is good.)

Change your outlook, and you change your life.

tony

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tony, you're right - you DO see a target off a hand-set machine faster than from any automatic because the table and throwing arm of an automatic has to be lower so the target magazine can fit under the roof of the trap house. That makes it take a little longer for the target from an automatic to emerge from the roof.

Ed

7. Donm

Donm Active Member

Palos you had better get your facts right about the rubbers on the arms. According to the people that maintain the machines each year they are replaced when ever needed. How would you know when they were changed or how old they are?

8. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

Mr. Palos Shooter. I am one of the individuals that maintain the hand-set machines. We start meeting in January each year, to begin the over haul. I can assure you that each year,a minium of one third of the machines are completely torn apart, and parts replaced as needed. (This was the suggestion of the Trap Mechanic.) The rest of the machines are inspected, and parts replaced as needed. ALL of the rubbers, on the arms, are inspected, and also replaced when needed. Oil levels are checked, and oil applied where needed.

A polite thank you, I'm sure, would be appreciated by the Trap Repair Crew.

Respectfully submitted,

Joe Zukowski
    Ex Officio
    Wisconsin Trapshooters Association

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Palos,

What's your point? The fact that there are not PAT's on every field is something that we all have to deal with. Every shooter has an equal chance of getting a PAT to shoot on via presquad.com. Did you look at ALL the scores? I saw some pretty good scores in the 'caps on Wed. and I seriously doubt they were all shot on PAT traps.

Tim

10. racer

racer TS Member

Average Ed- I think you may want to review a trap layout diagram before talking about Pat's being lower than a hand set. If I remember correctly the lay out calls for the target to be at the same height as post 3 when on the arm. Pat's mounted with little rework on a western pad(assuming the turet cleared. Shoot lots, Dan

11. Westshore

Westshore Member

Don’t you just love these people!!!! They complain, say this could be done, that could be done.

I have helped set targets, filled water coolers and the like. Since 5:30AM our WTA members have been trying to get are shoot back on track after a natural disaster. Being a gambling man I will bet the complainers are not lifting a finger.

Oh yeah I just checked and I have a pair.
    Not hiding behind a handle

Paul Becker

12. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

You're right, Palos. It's a classic location for Trap. Right there in the metro area, with easy access to all the great things a city has to offer. It's a shame that people like Bigdon deny Trap's urban heritage and want to move shoots away from the cities, so we'll have nothing to do.

Food tip for the Wisconsin shooters:

Michael's House of Prime in Pewaukee.

http://www.foodspot.com/Clients/WI/Pewaukee/MichaelsHouseOfPrime/default.aspx?accid=14279

If you're new to Wisconsin, and if you have some time, head over to Milwaukee and have a look at perhaps the most beautiful trap facility there is in the country, a place that really embodies the history and essence of Trap:

http://www.cudahytrap.com/

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Man you guys are psycing yourselves out of shooting good before you even get to the club. The targets used to be real pigeons. They did not train the birds to fly straight out at the perfect level so that people would not piss and moan when they missed.

Think of it this way, if the gun goes bang, and you miss, you are the one to blame at least 99% of the time! CONCENTRATE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Donm

Donm Active Member

Palos. Wrong again moose breath. He shot on the far west end on the hand set machines. It is really a shame some people don't take the hint and shut up. If you don't know anything about what you are saying keep your mouth shut. Were you even in Wisconsin this weekend? You just don't have a clue. You have been totally wrong about everything you said so far except for the location. What is your problem. Ask anyone I am not a fan of Waukesha but if I say something negetive about them or some one I at least have some facts.

Oh Joe. Good job.

Well said Paul. I for one didn't help this week. I did how ever see alot of people out in knee deep mud and water. Volunteering. I guess I'm just getting to old.

And just for info sake. Most of the high scores in double were shot on the hand set machines in some brutal winds. I know of atleast two 97's two 96's and I had a 95. It wasn't easy but it could be done. Dale won with a 98 but I don't know where he shot.

Tomorrow they plan to use all but one bank of traps. The far west trap is still under water. It is truly amazing that they got that many of the traps going. Well done WTA and all the volunteers.

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

After five events, my son has shot on the Pats once and handsets four times.

All targets were equal except that there were a couple birds in doubles yesterday that must not have been set on the arm perfectly and came out at slightly different angles.

The wind was brutal and "Brain Fade" was more a factor in lower scores than the hand-set traps.

And Harlan was down on the west end for Doubles.

Other than trying to figure out where you were supposed to be with the new assignments Friday morning, everything went off fantastic. The WTA and crew (with a ton of volunteers) did a great job to keep the program running.

SW

16. Jay Adams

Jay Adams TS Member

StonewallRacing,

I'm not sure what point you were making about where Harlan shot his doubles, but you are incorrect. Harlan shot his 96 in Doubles on permanent trap 6, just northeast of the clubhouse.

I do believe that he shot handicap on the far west end, but cannot confirm it without looking it up.

Jay Adams

17. StonewallRacing

I was told by two people at the shoot that Harlan shot way down on the west end after the re-squading due to the water. It may have been handicap and not doubles. (I was told doubles, I did not see with my own two eyes.)

Point I was making was that if he did shoot down there it might help to dispell the "favoritism" talk.

SW

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I am not sure "favoritism" is "pre-squadding" Seems to me pre-squadding is smart. Also I did actually see bad single targets being set today on the hand-sets. I know because we removed the person, and it probally cost me more than I am willing to admit to today.

GS

19. StonewallRacing

I will agree.

But you hear the "nay-sayers" talking about it in the lunch tent.

I will learn to presquad as to what banks are the PATs. the darn banks always mess me up.

Handsets did hurt in doubles a few birds I believe, but not as much as the wind did.

I thought it was a darn good day after the events of earlier this week.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.