1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WISCONSIN - S.E. ZONE SHOOT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico46, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

On a very hot humid Sunday with barely 700 registered targets, junior Justin Bourdo runs 200 singles straight to win the Wisconsin S.E.Zone Singles Championship, held at Boxhorn Gun Club, in Muskego, WI. Justin just started shooting leagues a few months ago but has taken to shooting much like his dad Tony Defransisco, who is an accomplished shooter in his own right. Jim "Sully" Sullivan and Nick Thanos shot it out for second place with scores of 199. After another 100 rounds in the stifling heat, they finally settled it with Sully taken the runner up by flipping a coin.

On Saturday Tom "Powder" Hoppe smashed 99 targets to win the S.E. Zone Handicap Championship. I've shot with Tom for six years and never seen him better than Saturday. A week before the Zone Shoot, Tom ran a 98 in the caps and has now moved back two yards in the last two weekends.

The S.E. Zone Doubles Champion was Mr.Doubles himself Dan Murphy who defeated Steve Wolf after they both ran 98's. Dan is the smoothest doubles shooter I've had the pleasure to watch. He makes doubles shooting look very easy!

Jim Sullivan won the H.O.A. with a score of 390 narrowly defeating Tom Hoppe with a 389 and Shannon Dempsey with a 388. Congratulations to all the shooters who participated on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A breakdown of all the winners are on the Boxhorn Gun Club web-site.

I would like to thank the owners of Boxhorn Gun Club Rick & Debbie Schim, their daughter Melissa and their wonderful staff for putting on a first class shoot. The targets were great, the weather was fantastic, food was hot and the drinks were cold. It was a great way to spend a weekend. Special thanks to Dick & Arlene Otto who tirelessy keep the shoot moving by getting shooters classified and out on the line. Dick does a fantastic job in getting the scores posted timely and nearly flawless.

In the election results Brad Patterson was re-elected as the S.E. Zone Director. Brad has done a good job of representing the wishes of the S.E. shooters. He works very hard as a representative of the WTA, as well as being a good husband and father to his kids. With all that going on he still finds time to shoot trap. Congratulation Brad on your re-election.

Rick Brohmer

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh.........my old stompin grounds.........good to see all is alive and well!!

GS

3. black lab

black lab TS Member

Does anyone know what hit the lewis for the singles and how much it paid out?

4. Boxhorn

Boxhorn TS Member

Yes Friday's shoot had some initial issues. They were addressed during the shoot and equipment replaced for Saturdays shoot.

One trap had some problems on Saturday for some squads. It too was repaired.

Sundays event went very smooth with only some microphone issues which we all encounter at many clubs.

The shoot on Sunday had 21 100 straights. I guess something did run smoothly as evident from the scores!

The total shoot on Saturday (hcp/dbles) did double in entries of the 2006 shoot at Waukesha and Sundays event was up 13 shooters. The overall shoot was up 2000 targets over what was shot at the SW Zone in Janesville this year which I am told was that clubs 2nd largest shoot ever. We finished by 4pm both Sat and Sun. I am not bashing either club just stating the volumn of targets thrown over the weekend.

Being it was the first time a shoot of this size was held at Boxhorns in 30 years I think it ended up being very successful and unlike who ever Jim_Kneecricket is I have heard from many shooters who were very pleased with how it went. I am sorry it didn't meet his/her standards. I would be happy to discuss the shoot with them should they want to give me a call at the club.
    In the mean time when I have a disappointment at a shoot I will just address it with the particular club in private rather than bash them on a public forum where the purpose should be to promote the sport.

Thank you to all who supported the shoot and Congratulations to Justin Bourdo who is not only the SE zone Champion but Boxhorn employee who worked hard on Saturday and Sunday while still participating in the shoot.

Rick Schim
    Boxhorn Gun Club

5. Donm

Donm Active Member

I have been to about 20 or so SE Zone shoots and this one was better than most in recent past. I'm not going to bash other clubs but this one was done much earlier than any in the past 5 years or so. Granted he had less events but had he thrown more targets he still would have be done earlier. I remember I think it was three or four years ago with less shooters in the Singles event the next handicap event didn't start until around seven. My handicap squad finished at almost eight thirty.

For being the first major shoot they have had at Boxhorn since Rick took over they did a good job. I am sure Rick will learn from this shoot and take care of the few minor bumps and be ready for the next one. As long as he learns from the experience that is all anyone can ask.

Rick don't get discouraged by the BUG BRAIN. He never has anything positive to say about anyone but the one club. Keep up the good work.

We will see you this weekend for the five man.

Rick you have Mail

6. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Jim_kneecricket, no reason to insult Al Maxey! First, Al is a great guy and secondly he has every right to state his opinion on the shoot and the election of the S.E. Zone Director. I shot every event Saturday and Sunday and had no broken or missing targets. In fact, I had excellent targets. As my original post stated Rick and the( Boxhorn Gun Club ) put on an excellent shoot.
    Thanks

Rick

P.S. Jim, if you have so much to say don't you think its time to stop hiding behind a false screen name? Show yourself if you have the guts!

7. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Cricket definition: An exo-skeleton INSECT. Of no practical use to mankind other than fishbait for southern U.S. bream fishermen. Talk with their wings and often carry a fungus deposited by flies. They make a very satisfying "crunching' sound when stepped on. An appropriate choice of 'nom de plume' for mr. jim_knee.

8. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Jim_kneecricket must have gotten lost or taken a wrong turn somewhere and shot at another club last weekend but it certainly was not at the SE Zone. Have been shooting trap over 40 years and this was one of the best run Zone (or any other) shoots I have attended in a long time. Don't know what the so called problems were on Friday but they certainly were not on the traps I shot over and things could not have been too bad considering the number of high scores and 100 straights posted. Same goes for Saturday and Sunday. Excellent targets, great atmosphere, high scores, good food and some very hard working trap help. It was a rather nice change not to see 5 or 6 trap help sitting around doing nothing except eating pizza and drinking soda like another facility I could mention. And, if Jim-K really wants to throw bricks he might want to recall the Central Zone fiasco last summer at a best unnamed facility where any number of shooters arrived, saw the entry prices/prizes and then got in their cars and went home. Rick hosted one heck of a Zone Shoot and let's give credit where credit is due and expect it will carry into next the 5 man team next weekend. Oh, and by the way, Jim_K as an informed voter I am sure you will want to know that the elected WTA Director is spelled Patterson not Paterson.

Vic Share

9. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Rick,

I would be remiss if I didn't express my congratulations for a great zone shoot. Having run a few shoots myself, I can tell you no matter how much you try to anticipate problems, new ones always spring up. Your staff did a great job. Please convey my thanks to them all.

It's always a pleasure to shoot at Boxhorn and I will be back. The targets were fine. I just missed more of them than I anticipated.

Thank you again for having the dedication and desire to do a great job not just for the zone, but for all ATA. If you need help next year, I'll be happy to offer my support. Maybe others will offer their support as well.

John Semprini
    Chairman, Maywood Sportsmen's Club
    Elmhurst, IL

10. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I would also like to say that rick,debbie and the whole boxhorn crew did a great job running the S.E. zone shoot this past weekend. Friday was rough for me too but i work 3rd shift and after being up for 20+ hrs i was in no mood to shoot. Congrats to justin for breaking his first 50,100 and 200 straights. He was calm cool and collected during those last few targets, which is more than i can say for myself and his step father Tony DeFrancicso who is my regular squad mate. we watched every target we could while shooting one trap behind justins squad. Rick ran one hell of great shoot, had as perfectly set targets as you could ask for, and in general bent over backwards to try keep everybody as happy as possible. Im looking forward to the 5 man team shoot this sunday,plus all the prelim events friday and sat. Hope to see everyone there!
    steve wolf

11. Boxhorn

Boxhorn TS Member

Thanks for the kind words and comments everyone.

I do have a correction to my original post. I misinterpreted information on the amount of targets thrown at the SW zone and they threw substantially more targets than we did on Sunday. All other info is correct though.
    Trap shooting "Its just plain Fun" see you at the club.
    Rick Schim
    Boxhorn Gun Club

12. Steve Ebsenn

Steve Ebsenn TS Member

Congratulations to all for a great shoot. I've heard nothing but good things about last weekends event and I look forward to the 5 man this weekend.

It was the man behind the SKB and not the SKB that won the caps. Hats and ear muffs off to Hooptoduptie.

Rico.....give me a call as I need to talk to you about times on Sunday.

13. Lump'er

Lump'er TS Member

I reviewed the number of tragets that Waukesha threw the year before.

Waukesha threw almost twice as many targets on Sunday, and a third more on Saturday. Waukesha did not hold a shoot on Friday last year!
    Boxhorn did a very nice job on the shoot, but the numbers were down from the year before by about 40%! They handled a much smaller shoot than last year!

Ron..........!

14. crapper

crapper TS Member

From what I have heard Boxhorn did a wonderful job this past weekend and with no support from that club to the north. I hear the attendence could have been better if some members from a different club had participated.

Lets hope for the 5 Man they stay home again, they can play with their ball the took home.

15. Boxhorn

Boxhorn TS Member

Hi Ron,
    I was going by the numbers given to me by the WTA. I'll call them and see if they have all the numbers for all the zones for the past few years and maybe they could post them for us on the WTA web site.It would be interesting to see the gains and losses from one year to the next.

I wasn't trying to get into a wrestling match over who shot what or more at each club. I was trying to put a reference point up for what happened with the data I was given. Whether we threw more or less is not the point. The important point is did everyone have fun and was the shoot run successfully and my response to that would be yes. Hope to see you soon again and no more missing that 100'th target! :)
    Rick

16. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about, I saw lots of Waukesha shooters at Boxhorn, I think the IL State Shoot was going on and some of the shooters were there.

17. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Here are the numbers from Waukesha 06 and boxhorn 07

Saturday Boxhorn 160 shooters in events 07
    Waukesha 218 a difference of 58 shooters

Sunday Boxhorn 94 shooters plus about 7 or 8 in Hdcp
    Waukesha 169 shooters a difference of over 60 shooters

Friday Boxhorn 85 shooters Waukesha did not shoot on Friday

I shot the boxhorn shoot and it was up to anyones standards, Just the facts!

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

XXpowder

Waukesha also had one more event on Sat. and Sunday. You really can't count the handicap on Sunday. It was just a add on and not in the program. Had it been in the program and people would have known to bring handicap shells and gun then it would have been larger. According to the WTA's numbers for the championship events all of the numbers were up at Boxhorn. The WTA's numbers go by the number of total entries paid for each event. The championship Singles, Handicap and doubles. The singles were up only a few, like seven or eight but the handicap and doubles were up quite a few. Maybe if Arlene or Dick see this post they could give us the numbers.

What ever the total count the zone was well run, done in a more timely manner with very well set targets, good food and good friends. So lets all just move on to the Five Man.

Speaking of the five man there have been rumors of a boycot by a certain club. If this is true these people just can't get it through there pea brains that if this shoot would keep growing and get as big as it was before just think of how many club would be big enough to host it. So by trying to keep it from growing is only allowing more clubs to host it and in a matter of speaking shooting your self in the foot or other body parts. So lets keep growing this shoot and shooting in general in Wisconsin. In other words grow up.

19. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Donm: Dbls were down by one person, I know you think you know it all, but guess what you don't!

Just because total numbers were down, It's not any reflection on BoxHorn or Waukesha shooters! You guys are so quick to try to start fights! Grow up!!!!!!!!

20. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Good grief! The S.E.Zone Shoot at Boxhorn was a successful shoot period! The idea of this thread was to congratulate Rick & Debbie Schim on their first running. It was not to compare the S.W. Zone Shoot in Janesville this year or WGC last year. Who cares who threw more targets? I shot all three shoots and they were all run very good and all had excellent targets and scores. That should be considered a victory for all Wisconsin Shooters!

Hooptied, why are you starting these type of rumors? The fact is many of the regular WGC shooters( Gary & Karen Stingl, R.Rousseau, T.Hoppe, R.Brohmer, Sully, Linda & Dale Reimer, D.Murphy, Dick Otto, S.Wolf, Mike "Lucky" Thomas, Nick & Mary Thanos, S.Dempsey, Jerry & Brad Patterson, Joe Z. and others attended the Zone Shoot at Boxhorn. I know others ( Jahn, Ward, Elsen,& Jay) shot the Illinois state. One family ( 3 shooters ) shot the TN state shoot. Others may have had family plans since it fell on Fathers Day. If anyone else decided to sit it out..tough. They missed a great shoot! But to say WGC didn't have their regulars at the shoot is simply B.S.

Don, I shoot at WGC all the time. I have not heard even once, any one "boycotting" the Five man Shoot. We are coming with a team from WGC to shoot it Sunday. I know others will be their for the shoot. Just because some trapshooting regular doesn't show up for a shoot doesn't make him or her boycotting a shoot! Maybe just maybe they have something else to do that day with family and or friends and they simply can't make the shoot. But if anyone decides to sit it out..oh well then they are likely to miss out on a very competitive shoot. See you all Sunday!

Rick Brohmer

Cc: Goathead, I will call you this evening at your residence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.