1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

WISCONSIN HOMEGROUND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by X2 fan, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

Just remember, as you did read on those threads, that the price tag (or bid) given was for all the bells and whistles. Something that the BOD has said all along would not be done that way. Also not included was and labor or materials that shooters would wish to donate.
    Also, the contractor that gave them that cost has since been shown the door as I understand it.

Tim
  2. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

How can you have a "Home Grounds" when you dont even have a Business Plan in place ? The Wisconsin BOD have become very silent.
  3. Janet

Janet TS Member

We, here in Ohio had a dream and look at us now. Come shoot at Cardinal
    Shooting Complex and see. Oh, it was worth it. Keep on working at it as Craig
    Duda, my partner always said of every endeavor he was ever involved with.
  4. XXPowder

XXPowder TS Member

I've been to Rome several times in the last few weeks. I noticed very limited eatting places and hotel space. The hotels up there are very small, or you have to drive into Rapids which is about 20 mins away. The WTA thought they could support the ground with camping, but i talked to a guy at one of the area campground. The owner told me he WTA didn't know what they were talking about, that there isn't any money in running camp grounds with the price of gas, haven't they been listening to the news about record gas prices.
    We were talking at the club today that our state shoot might be moved to Iowa if Waukesha wouldn't take us back. We all hope that it works out, but it's a little hard to believe that board members that say they are to busy to return emails and set up a business plan will complete an home ground shooting range with in a year.
  5. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

Rapids is only 10 minutes away. I guess that's a bit far for the Milwaukee area shooters (Shooter Glasses 2001) who only have to drive 10 or less to get to the WGC. Nice of you to bring up Iowa (again) to stir things up even more....

Tim
  6. XXPowder

XXPowder TS Member

Tim, I think that it was the WTA that brought up Iowa, a number of years ago when they were fighting with Waukesha, lets get our fact straight! It may be a very interesting State Shoot meeting if we are not any farther along with the home grounds. Once again I HOPE that everything works out and we have a home grounds. I'm just very surprised that any member of the WTA would want to be kept in the dark about what is going on!I'm also surprised that the WTA would refuse to answer Brads questions, since he was on the board last year. Your right I do live only 10 mins. from Waukesha gun club like many others, There are a large number of shooters living in the Southeat part of the State, We all shot the State Shoot because it was within driving distance, That included a lot of shooters from Chicago and Northern IL., I hope that $5.00 gas and lack of resonable lodging does not keep large numbers of shooters from showing up. Just to let you know distance is meausred fron the center of town, not the edge of town. Mapquest says the distance is 12.9 miles and takes 20 mins, I don't know where you get your information, but that's where I get mine.Your right i do consider Rome in the sticks, I think the people living there also do. The one of the bigger restaurant near by was Called Critters, I don't know if that discribes the meat they use or why the main Gas Station is call the trading Post, That may be the place fur from the Critters is sold. So don't make fun of us city boys...........
  7. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

There are a lot of good people who are working hard to someday get a home grounds built in Wisconsin. It can not be an easy task especially in this economy. Even though I no longer shoot ATA tournaments, I hope the new home grounds can be built someday for all of the shooters who live and shoot in Wisconsin. I believe it will happen. I wish the WTA and Wisconsin shooters the very best, as you all deserve it.
    Steve Balistreri
  8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

For those of us in northern Illinois, we can afford to drive to Waukesha. Not
    so much Sparta. Waukesha is o.k. though Racine would be even better.
  9. JACK

JACK Active Member

We should have put together a "Phone shoot" 4 clubs, one in each quadrant of the state. But I'll go to Rome.
  10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The WTA board first got mad because we were talking about the homegrounds on Trapshooters.com. They did not like what we were saying. No business plan. So we switched to WTA.com. When we did they deleated our threads on the Wisconsin web sight. Still No business plan. Now they find out they had 1 million dollars, they spent on the land and the the cost will be 6 million dollars for the rest. This must be the new math I hear about. Maybe the WTA board should go to Washington and work for the gov. This kind of math works out there.
  11. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

12. Donm

Donm Member

99. Your math is the worst I have ever seen. "now they find out they had 1 million dollars, they spent on land and the cost will be 6 million dollars for the rest." Did you just pull these numbers out of your **s. You must be the politician.
  13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

Yea, one mil. sounds a little steep for land around there. We used to drive through there, and everywhere else there was not a road on the way back from Rapids, to lake Camelot, after closing time in our late teens. Six million would build you one hell of a clubhouse, and complex with fountains, flower gardens and all. Best of all, it is a couple of miles away from the Trails End Bar! Ahhh the memories.
  14. XXPowder

XXPowder TS Member

Don: I know you were appointed to the WTA board not elected, but why would you make a directly attact on a Wisconsin shooter, if you have a better accounting of the funds and cost of a home grounds why not just tell your fellow members!
    I don't know why anyone from the WTA would attach a fellow shooter on trapshooters.com. I get 99's point and respect his right to make his point, maybe you should show a little respect for members of the WTA...and your fellow wisconsin shooters........just my thoughts..............Tom
  15. tom berry

tom berry Member

According to the recent summary posted on the WI site, the 278 acres of land was purchased for 486,500. Then they had to pay another 187,000 to remove 240 acres from the tax sheltered MFL program.

It's laid out in the referenced link.
  16. Straight99

Straight99 Member

If I am so wrong why did the WTA board get rid of all of the threads on wta.com. Are they hiding something. No business plan. If they have all of this money then lets just pay for the work to be done and have the state shoot there next summer. Why would we have to go to Iowa for the state shoot?
  17. XXPowder

XXPowder TS Member

I know that the WTA has money from the sale of their other land, they have saved some over the years,Ray has made some gifts and some other members are willing to supply money to the new home grounds. When the bid came in at 6 million for the home ground, I think is showed just how much a new home grounds would be and a board without a plan. I think the 6 million is way high, but 3 to 4 million is more in the range. It was very easy to promise the shooters of Wisconsin a better place than Waukesha, but may be very hard or impossible to provide one. I think that's why the members are calling for some kind of reasonable game plan. The WTA website reponsed deleting the questions, not answering them. It makes one wonder who is driving the bus, and if it's worth riding, if they don't know which direction they are headed.
  18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

Reading the report, it appears like they have budget of $2.5 mil. to finish the project. We are supposed to get bi-weekly updates on progress. It also shows that currently the available fund are short of that amount and the BOD is basically asking for donations to get the rest of the funds.

"In the next few weeks, the homegrounds committee will be comprising a list of items and/or services that could be donated. In the mean time, if you feel that your services can be of value to this project, please contact any member of the Homegrounds Committee"

"It seems, that quite a few people have been taking a wait and see attitude before making a pledge to donate. Well that time is now! The WTA respectfully requests that pledges for donations be made as soon as possible so that proper planning for the completion of the homegrounds can be made."

"If we all work together, what was once just a dream can be a reality."

I am very hopeful that this can all come together and I appreciate the efforts that have already been done, but I think there is much more work to be done before this will become a reality. There is only 15 months until the 2013 state shoot. Our donations have come one $$ at a time into the homegrounds fund for the past 4 years.
  19. XXPowder

XXPowder TS Member

I'm happy they have put out some kind of plan, I think the pressure from the members helped get a plan going. I was just wondering how much money do they need to raise before they start building, and how much are they short. That would be part of any good thought out plan.
  20. Donm

Donm Member

Tom there has been a plan for a long time. Pressure from people like you had nothing to do with it. All that does is p**s people off. You just don't bother to find out the facts before you act. Like your post about the camping. We went to many sources of info from the town, county and private. None told us what you got from who knows who. There are atleast 3 different eating places within 5 miles. A great supper club called the Branding Iron, 4 miles, The Trails End on Hwy D. Good pizza, sandwiches and such, 3 miles and so on. If you can't drive more than 10 min. for a hotel or to get something to eat you won't be there anyway. If small hotels are below your standards then you will have to go downtown to one of the bigger hotels.

As for how much is needed, if you donated a grand or so like Dick Gries did it would be that much less.

As for me being appointed after I volunteered that has nothing to do with the way I respond to some of the stupid remarks I read. If I had been elected or not on the BOD at all I would and have responded the same way.

99 you fall into the same catagory as Tom. Get your info straight. There is alot of new info on the WTA's web site. The WTA didn't get rid of the thread on the site. Read Brad's post. Where do you get this stuff about Iowa and the WTA having all the money. Are you related to Tom? Try reading the information on our web site so you have some facts before you get diarea of the mouth. It was posted 3 days before your last post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.