1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin Handicap R/U DQ'd?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Codebrown, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Wisconsin Handicap R/U DQ

What's the deal? Who and why? Just curious on the facts -

Got a check in the mail after they refigured some options.

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Reprinted from the Wisconsin Trapshooters web site
    General Discussion
    http://www.witrapshooters.com/

I am writing this to clear up any rumors or any questions about what happened after the Wisconsin State shoot. We had a shooter that took second in the state handicap championship. When this shooter returned home after the state shoot, he found a letter in the mail from Foxvalley Gun Club that he won yardage at a marathon shoot the weekend before. He had checked with shoot management before he left the club and at that time he was not going to get any yardage. As it turned out, more shooters shot later that day and he ended up receiving a half yard. Now, forward to the state shoot 3 days later - it had not yet shown up in the computer. He shoots the Wed. event and takes a half yard, so along with the half he won the previous Saturday would have given him a full yard and he should have been back a yard. This results in him shooting the rest of the week from the wrong yardage. When he got home he see's the letter and is surprised about winning yardage at the earlier shoot. The first thing he did the next morning is to contact me about the situation - if he hadn't, it might never have been caught. I want to say what an honest and sportsman-like thing he did. As a result of HIS honesty, we disqualifed his last three hundered handicap targets- which really hurt. So - as a warning - always check your scores and yardage after the your competitionas have been completed, as it is the shooter's responsibility to make sure you are shooting from the correct yardage. Thanks Pete for being the honest person that you are.

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Sounds and looks like Pete did everything possible, at the time, to make sure he shot from the right yardage, and yet he still gets penalized. Am I missing something here?

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Terrible bummer for him, but what a stand-up act of honesty and good sportsmanship.

Whomever he is, I applaud him for what he did.

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

class act!

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Coyote 270,

People like "Pete" are what the ATA is based on. An honest shooter that made an honest mistake. He saw no reason to profit from it and wanted to make things right. I applaud him for being a true sportsman and everything that is good in competition.

It's the liars, cheats, etc... that bring a sport down!

ss

7. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

That would explain it. Gotta give the guy major credit.

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Absolutely, Pete proved he's a gentleman and a sportsman.

But the club where he won the yardage, 3 days before the state shoot, after he inquired before leaving, after "more shooters shot later that day"--it didn't occur to them that they might want to give him a call???

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't know the guy but he sounds like a true sportsman and no doubt a gentleman. That is the type of people that makes this sport so special.

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

MTA Tom you are right. The club should have called. They should also have called the ATA Delegate. He is ahead of the classification Comm. They would have been able to catch it when he got Classified.
    The shooter is a class act but unfortunatly the way the rule reads is that it is the shooter's responsibility to shoot at the correct yardage. So it all falls on him unfortunatly. I to have to say that he did a big time honorable thing.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I too admire and respect the man for being a true sportsman!!

Sounds like he got caught in one of those never ending shoots till no one else shows up to shoot? What a shame to have the scores he shot disqualified in such a manner! All it would take is one more shooter showing up late and shoot in the wind to put him over the threshold of earning a half yard for his score!! He did what was required at the initial shoot asking if he'd received earned yardage thinking obviously the shoot was over? If that's what happened, that system of doing business isn't right at all, nor fair to any shooter!

My hats off to the man regardless!!

Hap

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Let's run this guy for president. We could use one with some integrity.

Bob

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why wasn't the info in the computer? HMB

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Because it was only 3 days since he shot the score in question.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

870, when yardage reductions go out in snail mail, is that information available to classifiers reading your stats? When your being classified at a shoot after the reduction is offered.

Hap

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Hap:

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the data shows the yardage at the reduced number. Problem is the database used at a shoot isn't necessarily right up to date. That is just my guess; I do know the Shooter Info Center is updated when they send the reduction, but that is not necessarily the same database, although I think it probably is true in each case.

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

Hap. Generaly yes but then it is generated at the ATA office which is where the reports come from. The gun clubs have 10 days, I think, to get their reports to the ATA and then the ATA has to imput them into the system. So now you are a couple three weeks after the shoot. In this case the club probably hadn't even sent it in yet. The report at the Wi. state shoot was probibly 10 days or so old. So had someone got a reduction more than 10 days prior it most likely would have shown up on our computers.

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

what club did this happen at?

tony

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It was only 3 days. Computers, e-mails = 3 minutes. 10 days is the rule in the book, thats when they used the Pony Express isn't it? HMB

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

This thread is about targets being disqualified because they were shot at the wrong yardage. Consider the following situation: A shooter is sent a Reduction in the mail but before he gets it he travels out of state and shoots 500 Handicap targets at his old yardage. When he arrives home he uses his new card with the Reduction but he doesn't realize that the ATA computer has deemed his reduction to be VOID because he shot at his old yardage. He is NOT sent any notice that his reduction was made void. Should any targets shot at the reduced yardage be disqualified ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.