1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin Government Unions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Please take the time to read the information compiled by the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal regarding overtime and sick leave abuse in the DOC. (Department of Corrections) I can attest to the validity of this information. I retired with 22 years seniority in the DOC. (15 years as a Lieutenant and Captain) I dealt with this abuse constantly. The unions more or less constructed the sick leave/overtime policy and the state just went along with it. There were so many loopholes in the policy that it was impossible to discipline anybody. Hopefully Governor Walker will stop this. I would imagine this goes on in other states as well. Ed

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Public unions are a crooked deal since the taxpayer who pays was made helpless by the union bosses and the politicians they bought.

Not hard to figure out.

HM

3. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

Workers need unions.

Management has more ways to abuse employees than the other way around.

Take care,

Jim

4. esoxhunter

Jim: I will agree in the private sector this may be true. In the public sector, (government); that is certainly not true. The government unions have way too much power and influence. The website that I included is only the Department of Corrections. You can believe the same misuse goes on in all other departments and that includes the school teacher unions. Many years ago, I was a chief steward for a somewhat large manufacturing plant. (1000 union employees) I processed all 3rd step grievances. Believe me, if the employees in the private sector violated work rules like the public employee; they would be terminated. It is nearly impossible to terminate a public employee.

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Public sector does not need unions???? About halfway through my career as a Fire fighter/ Paramedic [full time career]I had seen enough STUPID come out of the front office to fill a book. But the one that takes the cake was the day the Fire Chief came out of his office and announced "tonight we will be starting training to fix Parking meters" This was to take place from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm. and once the training was complete that time period from 6:30 to 8:30 was to continue as the "regular work period time". I was on the shift with our union rep at the time I remenber him spelling it out for him..so chief we start at 8am, go through our daily checks, training fire inspections, and anything else the job requires until 5:30pm then we eat dinner and start fixing meters.....Right? Chief answers yes.....Union rep then says your out of your f-in mind and nobody here tonight is going to start parking meter repair traning.........now that is my kind of america.....

GS

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

So, What exactly is wrong with the city you worked for asking you to repair those meters while you are doing nothing else and on the taxpayers dime ????

7. esoxhunter

Midalake: You just supplied more proof about unions running the government. If you were on pay status and your supervisor said that today you will be picking fly $hit out of the pepper shakers, then you better "get pickin". (Along with your union steward)

8. midalake

WOW two idiots respond and have no clue about math or having personal time before I go to sleep for the night. I work there from 8am until 5:30 pm [8hrs] and just because I am there to respond to my residents I should extend my work day two more hrs and learn an extra skill for no extra pay......what do you two aZZholes do for a living???? Are you both company owners??? Maybe a transfer to china will help you if you like controlling slave labor. I am ALL for a good days pay for a good days work.....but it will be dumb AZZ thinking like you that will help put us back in the dark ages.............

GS

9. esoxhunter

Midalake: Before retirement I was a captain at a Wisconsin correctional facility. Your attitude reminds me of a number of the officers I used to supervise. Bottom line, they wouldn't have had a job without the union. The "slugs" get the biggest bang out of the union $$. (Along with the Democrats of course).

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Not only that ... now the unions are threatening businesses that support the Governor!

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/charliesykes/117764004.html?blog=y

Sure sounds like extortion to me!

11. halfmile

midalake, not to pee in your corn flakes but when I go to the store there is a ladder truck outside, and the boys are getting their meal supplies. When I go past the station they are outside pitching horseshoes.

Damn near every fireman in my town has a business he operates, and a lot of them have been for years. Never saw one get foreclosed or standing on a corner with a sign.

Tell us about your shift requirements. Is it 24 on, 48 off? Normal working people have to do their cooking, dishwashing, sleeping, etc. at home on their own time. Not so with you folks.

Now, before you go getting all pissy, I am not denigrating firefighters. Just don't come with a bunch of whining about your tough life. Ys, there is danger. Try being a high voltage lineman.

HM

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Any employee being paid by taxpayers should be willing to perform any reasonable work when asked.

Firefighters are important to the community but they are not prima donna's that should be permitted to turn down reasonable work requests in favor of sitting around and playing poker.

I never got paid for playing cards or engaging in other frivolous activities and public employees shouldn't either.

Another example of the entitlement attitude of some public employees.

"We need the union so that we don't have to do anything outside our job description" is a more accurate statement.

Bless our safety forces for being there when they're needed. My brother is a retired police officer disabled in the line of duty.

13. midalake

esoxhunter if your too stupid or did not take the time to properly document boat anchors underneath you do not blame the rest of the public sector work force. I do not even begin to listen to people who tell me you cannot get rid of dead weight in a union....oh ya it may take a little more effort but it can be done. Our station was 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on and 4 days off. YES we are real people we do wash there after a few calls in a row we eat their sleep there, clean it, wax it paint it replace it............in fact the fire station is better than 90 percent of most homes in this country......and as a matter of fact I would appreciated a hi or thank you every once in a while if called upon to rescue your life or a loved one’s life or save your business or personal property for what amounts to be pennies a day on your tax roll......and guess what if you want to work for that "rich" wage get your fat AZZ off the computer get a two year Fire Science degree, probably work locally as a volunteer, and ambulance service with full EMT training and MAYBE...just MAYBE you will be one of the chosen few...... if not then just man-up write a check for your taxes and have a nice day.........

GS

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

FWIW.....there are less than 100 firefighter deaths in the US per year avg. There are around 4000 heavy duty trucking deaths per year......Now just tell us how dangerous your fire fighter job is. You have a bigger chance of being struck by lightning.

We need to reel in some of this heroic sympathy act. These people choose to be in these professions and if they are truly a dedicated servant to the people they should not need a stupid union. Also notice that the smartest of the union members are never in management. The smartest business minds in the US and they are hiding behind a union.

Can you imagine our military with a firefighters attitude????? Can you imagine the greatness the US could have if we would just let the union rank and file run things.

15. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Midalake claims on the other thread that he is too "poor" to attend the Grand while claiming that the rest of us (90% of whom live in filthy houses) are rich.

I have friends who are firefighters with seniority, including one who is a retired Chief. Not a one earns less than sixty grand a year. I guess all you guys who go to the Grand are making more than that a year?

With regard to his comment about it taking a "little" effort to get rid of a bad worker:
    As a retired Labor Relations Manager, a "little" effort means following a "progressive discipline" policy found in most bargaining agreements. Done properly by a manager, following the steps, with NO mistakes or procedural errors, and dealing with a grievance at every step, maybe - MAYBE you could terminate employment within two years or so. Any mistake by a manager along the way and the step will be removed in grievance. Yes, that's the "little" effort of which he speaks.

85% of America works without a union. What are public employees so afraid of? Being too much like the rest of us? God forbid!

Dave

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I was able to find the report, it's almost worth the time to read it as it tells it like it is with union public employees.

http://watchdog.ohio.gov/investigations/2007037.pdf

There is a well documented Case involving an employee of the ODOT.....He was given a office in the Columbus ODOT facility and paid him ~65,000.00 a year for something like 5-7 yrs to do absolutely nothing.....seems when he got the transfer he had been forbidden any access to any ODOT computers, yet was transfered to an IT management position. His new supervisor had failed to give him a definition of his job, and failed to request that he turn in weekly status reports...... The secretary that took his calls said he only would show up 1-2 hrs a day, and if anyone that wanted to talk to him had to be able to reach his cell, or go to the I23 rest area north of Columbus where he went 2 times a week to check a counter that was in the rest area.

To read the ATTY generals report on this jackwagon was next to nauseating.

17. halfmile

I do, unfortunately "have a clue about math". 72 hours of presence in 9 days sounds like a real grind. Until you take out 27 hours of sleeping, another 12 hours of pissing, shaving, bathing, and all the rest of the normal self maintenance activities (that other people do off the clock)leaves 34 hours of work time. And you don't want to do anything outside of your job description in that time.

The average worker supposedly works 40 hours a week, which averages to 5.71428 hours for each day in the week. The example above works out to 3.7777 hours for each day in that period.

whine about it now.

HM

18. esoxhunter

Midalake: You don't happen to have relatives in the Wisconsin DOC do you? If so, I probably got stuck supervising those fools. As you haven't the slightest idea what a supervisor goes through in their ongoing efforts to correct or terminate problem employees; I won't try to explain anything to you. You are a true union, (does just enough to get by and no more), employee. You will never progress in your chosen career and will continue to use the union to protect you due to your less than average job performance. So what if you are a fireman. There are a percentage of fireman and policeman who are worthless and without their beloved union they would be working at McDonalds. Your "holier than thou" attitude, (just because of your position as a fireman), wears a little thin. Hopefully your supervisor gets assertive and at least tries to confront you and "your steward". Meanwhile, get off your a$$ and fix the parking meters. That would be a direct order if I were your supervisor.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

In our county we have 3 fulltime fire fighters. The rest are volunteers, and they do a great job. One of the best departments is a little township group of FARMERS! All the departments call them for back up. Even the larger cities outside the county.

So, midalake. Your job ain't that special.

20. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I know several firemen, and have yet to hear one complain about working too hard. As a matter of fact, they like to brag about what a cake job it is, and the retirement package they will receive when they retire. All at the expense of the taxpayers who typically earn less. I wonder sometimes how they would make it in the "real world", where they would actually have to produce to earn a living.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.