1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin: Darien Gun Club Suspends Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico46, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I hope things work out good for Dave & Mary. They run some of the finest shoots in the state. Thanks

Rick

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

That sucks.

Tim

3. Janet

Janet TS Member

Sorry to hear that - great people and well run club. Always enjoyed myself when I went there while living in Wisconsin.

Janet Fritch
    CJ Enterprises

4. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Hey Janet, did you ever buy that house near the Ohio grounds? I will see you at the Ohio State shoot. Nubs Wagner.

5. guncase

guncase TS Member

The Waukesha Gun Club should and will do whatever it takes to earn the dollars to pay the taxes and upkeep on the property!! If that includes Sporting Clays,, then I think they are smart to pursue it. There is a huge population near Waukesha! Just think of it as the "Sporties" paying for our trap Range!

I have been there for a regular Trap Shoot and seen 50 or 60 people drive thru to shoot sporting clays, same day. Didn't bother the trap program at all, could barly hear the guns go off, course with the trap being shot who couuld tell the difference.
    I think that people better get off their high horse and show some support for the only place in Wisconsin that the State Shoot has a chance of being a sucess! ! There is lots of room for compromise!! Has been a great shoot there for years, and will continue to be,, I hope!

As a group, the W.T.A. cannot afford to build a homegrounds,, unless you want a membership fee of $200.00 each,, figure it out for yourself!! 16oo members to pay taxes and upkeep. Just think of the money that has already been poured into the "homegrounds search". Every time you turn around they(WTA) are paying for yet another "study" or paying for an appraisal. I would like to know just how much money has been used on this.

Sorry to hear about Darien,, they threw lots of targets. Not only Wisconsin Shooters but many Illinois shooters will miss them.
    Paul

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Maybe ... just maybe the ATA could get involved and help the WTA find a place and give some financial support in the search as well. I know that in another thread the ATA was asking about promotion of trap shooting and what better way to promote trap shooting then to help the WTA find a new homeground.

I would suggest you contact the ATA and ask them for some help.

7. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

If you let the ATA help you find a place they will tell you to take your state shoot to Sparta. Its close to you isnt it? lol

I have shot at Darien and I have to say it was a good shoot and very well run.

8. kolar12

kolar12 Member

At least someone's skull on this forum isn't so thick! By the way Paul, a belated congrats to you being inducted into the Wisconsin Hall of Fame!

Now back to the issue at hand. Will Darian be open as a sporting goods store? The best to Dave, Mary and Scott. Gary

9. Donm

Donm Active Member

Darien will truly be missed. Lets hope that something can be worked out.

Ron how much has the range protection act helped Dave and Mary? You sound like another club President (EX in your case) that I knew. Only he was the Pres. of Milw gun club. Lets see now. Where are they now. They kept saying we have the backing of the police, sheriffs, the city and the county. All it took was one upset polititian and before you knew it they were out. Lets see do they hold elections in Pewaukee and in Waukesha co. And if you think that WGC is in any different postition I have some nice dry land in the middle of Big Muskego lake for sale cheap. Just give me a blank check and I will take care of you, trust me. Gee I might just have to run for public office.

Paul how much money has been spent on "studies" so far? The most recent studies on the land we already own have been donated as far as I can tell. The appraisals on our land have had to be done for a number of reasons other than the search for a new home grounds. Where have you gotten your "facts" from? I can't seem to find the cost of these "studies" in the minutes that I have read recently. Do you have some kind of special in that you know thing that the rest of us don't?

Now lets get back to the original thread.

I will truly miss shooting at Darien. I have shot thousands of targets there over that past years. I will miss my thistle that Dave took care of and Mary's grumpy smile. I will also miss Scotts hustle and the good looking girls and women that work there.

Don M

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: how much has the range protection act helped

As posted: "They were encroached on by a new owner of an adjacent property and he pressed them to stop sending pellets out on to his property."

If the information is true and they were dropping lead onto property they did not own, no law will protect them...

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... I aint part of the WTA or the WGC and I aint never shot trap in Wisc but the WGC sounds like the deal of the century for the WTA and a modernization of an excisting facility is far cheaper than purchashing suitable land and building a new facility.

It does sound, as you mention Rick that somebody has some personal biases about things. To bad those biases cant be set aside for the good of the whole WTA.

It really does sound like WGC could be a great place ... images of "Grumpy Old Men" with shotguns instead of fishin poles comes to mind.

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen - I don't know the layout of this club but as a BOD member of National Capital Skeet and Trap club (currently out of operation due to shot fall issues also), we found that it is not too hard to build an earthen berm to block trap shot. Blocking skeet shot is an altogether more difficult proposition due to high angle shots on stations 1, 7, and 8.

We have found that local road builders were more than happy to build berms for nothing...well, not exactly nothing...they saved tons of money not having to haul their excess dirt to more remote fill sites. Perhaps this can be done at this club.

13. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Sorry to hear the bad news about Darien.

They are good to have for shooting, guns and supplies.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

http://www.delavansportsmensclub.com/

15. guncase

guncase TS Member

Don,,, I said that "I would like to know how much has been used on this."
    You seem to read only what you want to! You can e-mail me direct, or call me if you want to discuss it further. I am really easy to reach!! I will even pay for the call! 866-868-9410 Anytime

Paul

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If I remember, the property line of the field in front of the traps at Darien, is just beyond the trap houses.

The going price of land along the WI-IL border is the hottest property in the two states.

17. Janet

Janet TS Member

Hey Nubs! Bought home South of club. See you at the State shoot

Janet CJ
    Ohio

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

Yes Paul you and right but the sentence before that one you said " Every time you turn around they (WTA) are paying for yet another " study or paying for a appraisal". Maybe it is you that can only see parts or remember parts of what you say or type.

Joe Potosky. You are correct about the shot drop issue. What I was trying to point out was that if the local, county or state or even a private party, wants you closed they will find a reason and a way to do it. Everyone thinks they are safe until it is too late. Government agencies have to many Lawyers sitting on there hands getting paid looking for people to harass. When the time comes most clubs don't have the cash to throw at their own Lawyers to fight of the wolves. I was the Pres. of Cudahy when the county wanted us and Milwaukee out. I sat through over 70 hours of meetings before Cudahy and the County came to an agreement. Unfortunatly Milwaukee couldn't and they are gone.

Rick. What happened to your post. From what I remember of it I would like to know where in my post of April 4th at 9:51am did I say anything that could be even remotely negitive about WGC. I may have an ungly head but I don't pick on how other people look. I think if you knew half as much as you think you know about me that I don't hate WGC anywhere near as much as you think. I think you and Paul only read what you want like Paul said in his last post. As a member of the BOD of the WTA I do try to the best of my ability to state only the facts as I know them, unlike some others on this site.

Lets just all hope that the Darien situation isn't over yet and there hopefully is still some hope for Dave, Mary and their crew.

19. Donm

Donm Active Member

Zarathrusta. Delevan is a wonderful little club to shoot. They normally were done shooting by the middle of May and I see this year that they have some shoots later in the spring and summer. I haven't seen it yet but I hear they have a new club house. The have voice releases and Pat traps. The targets are normally set well. The back ground is a little different but all in all a very nice place to shoot. You won't be disappointed.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Having never been there, how small is this place? 71/2 Lead has a maximum shot distance of 209 yards. We operate on a tiny plot of land in the center of large city and I thought were small.

Ranges today can be grandfathered for noise, avoid annexation above a minimum size, but if your operation is not contained to your property, you're at the mercy of the adjacent landholder - did they think this day would never come?!

Is the range responsible for the future remediation of the deposited shot? It a shame when any range has to shutter it operation - been there, fought back!

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

darien gun club

darien gun club darien wi
darien gun club wisconsin
darien sportsman club
darien trap club
darien trap range
darien wi trap shoot
trap guns darian wi