1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wis. conceal carry question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

I talked to a local police officer about Wisconsin conceal carry permit training requirements. I believe permits can be obtained beginning in Nov of this year. The officer said it takes more the a Wisconsin hunters safety course to obtain the CC permit. Does anyone have more deals about training requirements? Thank you, Len

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See link above.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks V10

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What kind of training is required to get a license?

In an application for a license, an individual must include proof of having received firearm training. The proof of training requirement may be met by any of the following:

A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that conducted the course or program, that indicates that the individual completed any of the following (but see note below):

IMPORTANT NOTE: DOJ is currently in the rule-making process and is evaluating what information will be required on the certificate to substantiate proof of training. We will not have specifics until the rule-making process is complete.

-------------------

The rules regarding the sort of training required for permits will be announced in mid- to late-October after approval by the state Department of Justice and Gov. Scott Walker, said Dana Bruek, spokeswoman for the DOJ. The law allowing people to carry concealed weapons takes effect Nov. 1.

5. len loma

len loma TS Member

Thanks for info and link. I certainly hope the requirements do not change. I was once held up by 2 thieves when I was young man yet. I surprised them and they grabbed gun from their car. In this situation had I had a handgun I think they would have taken off running. I plan to get a permit. Len

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Len, if ya had a gun and did it right, they wouldn't have been able to take off running.

GneJ

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As the law was written, a Hunter Safety course, if certified by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), is one of the acceptable courses satisfying the Concealed Carry License training requirement. However, the DNR has recently been complaining to legislators that the Hunter Safety course was and is not meant as a "firearms training course" and that many people are signing up for such courses simply to qualify for CCW. For now it appears the Hunter Safety course will be acceptable, but don't be surprised if this changes by the time the law is implemented on 1 November. Nonetheless, the Wisconsin CCW is one of best "shall issue" laws in the country now, and we still have hopes that we will get "Constitutional Carry" also in the next year or two.

Jim in Wisconsin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.