1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wiring Aprilair fan powered Humidifier?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Aprilaire 700 Powered Humidifier

Wiring:

From Furnace= 24v common & W to Humidistat control= R & C

From Humidistat= H & H to Humidifier= the two brown wires running outside the unit.

Here is the diagram. I used diagram #1

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The scheme:

When fan is plugged in to 110v receptacle and the two brown wires, from the humidifier, are tied together, the fan runs and the solenoid opens to allow water to drain over the filter. With that being said, when I wire the 2-wire thermostat wires each from one H terminal to each of the wires, I should be completing the loop and the H & H is the switch. If I bypass the H&H terminals and touch the two thermostat wires, the fan turns on and the water line is opened.

I get continuity from the H terminals when the humidistat is either in the test position or when it calls for it during the heating cycle.

The Problem: Why when I tie the two wires, from the humidifier, into the H&H terminals on the humidistat the fan/humidifier doesn't work??? Heater is running, fan is running, saddle valve is opened. All of the trouble shooting the book gives have been checked out.

Any Heating and Air guys have any ideas??? It only took a half an hour to install everything, then I've been struggling with the wiring for the last 5 hours. I read, re-read the wiring diagrams and by the way it looks right. I also have it set up for Manual Mode not the automatic mode with the temp. sensing probe. (not enough time to fool with right now)

Any ideas as i am pretty stuck and pissed because I know it is something simple and I just can not figure it out.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

2. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

In your final paragraph you say that when you have it hooked up everything is running but not the humidifier. According to Diag.1 unless the heat is on the Humidifier will not run. If I am missing something in what you are saying let me know. If the heat is on and you can't get the humidistat to work try jumping H & H together at the humidisat if it works you may need a new control. Hope this helps.
    Darrel

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

W/W1 is the heat on the furnace correct?? Its a Carrier unit and its pretty new (<3 years). I tied into Comm. 24v and W/W1 on the furnace. I thought W/W1 is the heat.

If what you mean by jumping the H & H together means tieing the Humidifier wires together (the ones that go into the H & H terminals), I did that and the humidifier runs (fan and water).

I am assuming that the H & H is the switch that controls the humidifier to turn on and off. When the furnace is running the H & H connect (without the wires ited in) I get continuity between the H&H (around 200.00), and when the furnace is off, H & H separate and I lose continuity so I figure the control is fine. But when I tie the humidifier wires into the H & H the continuity drops substantionally and stays around .100 no matter when the furnace is on or off.

But... the humidifier turns on when I connect the two humidifier wires together so I don't understand what is all F'd up. I fugured the H & H is the switch and when they connect when the furnace turns on and the humidifier should run.

I just don't understand how I get great continuity at the terminals AND I get great continuity when testing the wires BUT when I tie the two together it drops to damn near nothing and it shows doesn't show a rise or drop in continuity when the furnace is on or off. Its like the switch works, but when I tie the wires in, it doesn't.

Its like the control works the way its supposed to when the furnace runs, and the humidifier runs the way its supposed when it isn't tied into the control, but when I connect the two using the H & H I lose continuity and neither the switch or the humidifier works BUT I can hear the control turn the switch on.

I am totaly baffled!!!

Hope you understood my layman description.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I have the manual mode resistor connected into the ODT terminals. I checked continuity with the wires connecting the humidifier wires to the Controller and they are fine too as when I tie the two together the fan cranks up.

I am totally baffled!!!

5. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Is the humidifier plugged into the wall or hooked to the circuit board in the furnace. Also make sure the wire going from W/W1 on the circuit board is attached to the R terminal on the Humidistat. If you are hooked to the correct terminal on the circuit board you should also have another white wire hooked to the same terminal. This one is coming from the thermostat to turn on the heating.

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

sounds like from your discription the humidistat is bad because when you jumper it out everything works as it should. You should get somewhere around zero ohms not 200?. Try this, turn the furnace thermostat up so it is calling for heat when furnace blower comes on check for proper voltage (24 volts) at humidistat controller terminals R and C you must have proper voltage here first, if you do then check for voltage at the humidifier wires, if you don't have 24 volts here with the humidistat calling for humidity then the controller is bad. You may have to use another wiring configuration like #2 or #5

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aprilaire humidifier fan test
easyest way to wirer in a fan humidifire 110
how to check a 24 volt humidifier valve for continuity
how to hook up aprilaire 700

manual humidistat tied into furnace

should i use w1 or w2 to hook up my aprilaire humidistat
what is the continuity in a humidifier fan