1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wireless voice calls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by james huffington, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Guys I'm tired of picking up mic's and winding cords, I'm thinking about buying a set wireless voice calls, can anybody tell me about there experience using these calls ? how reliable, maintance, durability, and of course cost. This is for a small trap club. any help would be appreciated, good shooting

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

They are great. Wish we could replace all our wired sets. Bob Schultz and Brian Pierce sell them. Jake

3. rea5339

rea5339 TS Member

A set of 5 ERADS and the receiver is apporximately $1600.00. The ones we use work great. You can do a search on this forum and I think you can find the exact cost.

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What j2jake said.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham Park we just added a wireless CVR set to our wired CVR's. Everyone loves the wireless especially for h'cap. Cost for a new CVR wireless was $2095 from Bob Schultz. Eventually we're going to change our other three wired sets to wireless via the CVR upgrade kits at $1600 each. Set up is a bit fussy the first time out but after that it set & forget.

Eric

6. DUSTER 99

DUSTER 99 TS Member

Our club has replaced all our old wired CVR sets with wireless in the last 6 months. They work great, take about 2 minutes to set up a field, and we have yet to change any batteries. Now is the time to replace your old sets, while clubs are still interested in the wired sets. We listed our wired sets on this website and sold all five sets in a little over 1 week, for an average of $800.00 / set. Makes replacing them a pretty good deal. Dusty

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

CVR Wireless have worked great at the clubs I have attended using them.

Regards

W&W

8. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

ERADS are great. Maybe Choice. Wireless is certainly the way of the future
    and that should be today if possible. Moving Mikes and cables while shooting
    is a Distraction, one most avoid Distractions.

Gunnerx

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you get ERAD's get six callers since one may walk off. I've found one clamped to my shirt when I got home!

They are the very, very best, though.

Neil

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Aren't the Erad microphone units designated for a particular field? In other words, don't they have to be changed as you move from field to field? Seems that could present a logistics problem during a tournament and as Neil said units walking off unnoticed by the shooter.

Eric

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

ERADS work well but keeping them on one field requires an attentive scorer. They need to be encased in a plastic sandwich bag when it is raining. They don't work wet. They also have a major design flaw, from my perspective. They can be programmed to do too many things and to accomplish this, they have many buttons and settings. It takes one person a lot of time to learn how to use them and reset them after a shooter has pushed the wrong button. They have about 10 setting buttons, and pushing them in different combinations results in the transmitter doing different things. The ERAD clip is a bit small and sometimes I need help getting it on my shirt. Overall, I do like them.

The wireless CVR system will also work well. At my club, the receivers had to be mounted on the outside of the trap house in a protective box. They would not work inside the house. Also, the batteries always get weak during the middle of a round. Changing them causes a disruption. They are working well for us.

I have used both systems quite a lot. Each has advantages and disadvantages. I honestly do not know which one I would recommend.

Pat Ireland

12. trapcrew

trapcrew TS Member

We started out with two units at our club to try and justify the expense for equip we already had in use. Within a month, we bought another 4 sets of wireless and now have all 9 fields setup on the wireless system. The units are great, with the only problems being generated by the shooters. Gary @ Rocky Mountain Clay Sports is always available for questions and 99% of the issues are resolved over the phone. You won't be sorry you bought them

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pat,

The batteries in the CVR should last about 200 hrs of on time. Figuring 8 hrs a day of use, they should last 25 shooting days. Are you using alkaline AA batts for replacement?

Eric

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eric- You are probably correct in assuming that our replacement batteries may not be top quality. The batteries we use come from a building supply store that employees an active worker at our club. The last set of 4 batteries I put in apparently lasted from the time I screwed the cover on the box until I called pull. By the time I called pull to test the new batteries, the batteries were dead.

Pat Ireland

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, That's too funny, but I'm sure it wasn't for you at the time. I have found that having a meter handy to check battery strength to be very worthwhile. Shoot often while we can, Bob

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pat,

Don't cheap out on batteries. Bet those batteries were not alkaline's. You can get 36 Energizer AA alkaline batteries at Home Depot for around $14. They last a little longer than the Duracell and they're less expensive.

Eric

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our tests show that Eveready alkaline AA (the Bunny) batteries work longest and best. We have had clubs go 3 months on a set. Best price is Sam's club 48 pack for about $15 thats 2 complete changes.

We have wireless sets and upgrades in stock ready to ship. Visit our website above or feel free to call us on the toll free line 800-684-6329.

Thanks

Bob Schultz

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob..... Have you tested the units using the newer AA lithium batteries? I would think that they would outlast them all. I use them exclusively in my digital camera and they last far longer than the Energizers or the Dura Cells.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

AA Lithiums will work much longer than alkalines but they're about $3-$4 each-vs-the .32 each for the alkalines that Bob mentions. At 10x the cost I doubt they'll give you 10x the operating life.

Eric

20. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Or you could go to the Erad....cheaper and last one full year on a battery set.

What ever you decide.....but the future is wireless.

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.