1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wireless voice calls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3@8, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3@8

3@8 TS Member

We are considering the possibility of installing a voice call on one of our traps. Could you guys offer any suggestions as to the best brand of wireless set up to use. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks Brian.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

We have a new set of canterberry wireless for our trap filed and it is a joy to use. Be sure to put extra weight on the stands if it is windy where you shoot. Five pounds of prevention will save a lot of problems later. Good Luck

I also have a wireless ClayDelay set for skeet field use. I have been very happy with it also.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

We use the Outer wireless units at our club with no issues.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you've got $2k to spend for a wireless system then the Canterbury is the way to go.

Eric

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

My opinion,

If you have more than one trap I would not get Outers. We have two sets, they work great except for phantom targets. (phantom targets = unwanted release of targets because of gun fire from adjacent trap). This happens quite frequently when running two traps. We must turn the system off and go manual.

We tried every "gimmick" we could thing of, nothing resolved the problem of phantom targets.

Was shooting at another local club last Saturday, same problem, phantom targets. They also have Outers.

Frank

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

We have three sets of Outers, all in a row. No problems like you are having. Have you dealt with Champion on that issue?

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

The manufacture has, in the past, replaced the units with the latest revision of the circuit boards.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

We use ERADS at our State Shoot and clubs around NC are buying and using them also.

At the Rockingham Gun Club we have 4 fields of ERADS and about 40 members that own their own units.

Nothing on the field but shooters.

FRedmon

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Shot the Dogwood events in NC back in 2009. Loved the ERADS, they really are the best wireless voice release devices I ever used.

Frank

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the harry koch trap field in omaha ne. has 3 near new sets of cantebury wireless forsale--i think $1300 each--they went to a new style w/ lapel mics and target management system--these are well worth the $--oh and yes , go to walmart and buy the 5# weights for each stand

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

ERADS work well but they have a lot of buttons that must be pushed in the correct order. This seems to be more complicated than most shooters can handle. The ERADS require one person on the line who understands the ERAD system and can push the buttons in the correct sequence to get them working. They are also very sensitive to moisture. The fine NC club mentioned above solved this problem by placing the units in plastic envelopes with a small ventilation hole in the bottom.

My club uses the wireless Canterbury system. This works well if the transmitter on the speaker stand can get its signal to the receiver on the side of the house without interference from the concrete block of the house. It seems that we go through a lot of batteries when it is very hot or very cold.

I actually like both the ERAD and the Canterbury systems but just be aware that both can have unique problems. Both are good but neither is perfect.

Pat Ireland

12. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

I've found that discarded cast iron weights from a Marcy "Universal Gym" machine are useful to windproof voice release microphones. It's as if they were made for that purpose. They keep them from blowing over in the strongest of winds.

13. maka

maka Member

Our club also has three set of outers in a row. The frequence of the control box in the trap house must be set differently for each trap house. We have no problems.

14. 3@8

3@8 TS Member

Thanks alot for the quick responses, it's much appreciated. We are a small club, (4 traps, 1 skeet field) and plan to start with one trap and then possibly expand from there. Do most of the manufacturers build units for trap and skeet models as I think it would be handy for us to have a unit on our skeet machines as well. Thanks. Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
voice caller trap and skeet
trap voice call weights

voix call for trap shooting