1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wireless Skype help..Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Anyone know how to fix a laptop computer.. trying to run Skype with a Wireless internet connection that plugs in the side with a little antenna.. I'm in America.. and the laptop is in Europe.. We connect with poor quality transmission for no more than 1.5 minutes.. and the connection gets dropped.. When on a hard DSL line.. everything works perfect.. The wireless adaptor is suppose to be for DSL.. Help please.. All thoughts are appreciated.. All Good.. Mike

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

PBB,

First question - do you know if the wireless adapter runs using the Windows software, or a separate software that came with the adapter??

Also, which version of Windows??

Second question - do you know what the wireless base station is?? (make, model, etc.)

Third, which country in Europe is the laptop located in?? Which ISP company is being used for internet access there??

How far is the laptop from the base station when being used (is there any tool that shows signal strength between the two??)? Are there walls or physical objects between the two?

Your question has so many variables involved more info is needed to figure out what is the causative agent.

Feel free to e-mail me directly...

David D

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Mike, how good of a connection are you getting on the air card with the laptop?
    The air card is nothing more than a cell phone connection for the internet and even though it is supposed to be 3g it will drop a call just like a cell phone will. it might help to move around room to room to find where the strongest signal is being received.

Best

Bob

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

My bad,

I'm thinking wireless connection to a base station, not a cell phone type unit.

Which company are you using (Vodaphone, O2, etc.?)?

Which OS on the laptop??

Are you sure you are getting GOOD cell coverage with the unit??

As I recall you are in Italy at the moment - I fly into Milan tomorrow from Germany - where in Italy are you??

David D

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

OK.. Toshiba laptop.. aircard is Vodaphone.. The cellphone works perfect.. from everywhere.. the laptop aircard does not.. Both use a Sims card.. The operating system is Vista.. Nothing to do with this.. but the internal Wi-Fi system works fine where there is Wi-Fi.. But none is where we are at.. The Toshiba is 2 years old..

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have gotten one 20 second SKYPE call that the camera and sound worked perfectly.. Now.. I'm told the 'aircard" has no external antenna.. but then again.. neither does our cellphone..which works perfectly... Maybe it uses different towers???

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Mike,

The Aircard should have a built in antenna.

Again, I suspect there is a mechanical issue with the card.

David D

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

David.. you have mail.. I'll forward this last thought.. and see if they will furnish a replacement card...

10. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Mike, I use Skype. My daughter in in central India, Harazibag. Power and internet is intermitent at best. Hard to get a video call of any length, Skype chat work great just had a long, 30 minutes chat with her. Transmission from my laptop to a wireless DSL to her laptop in india.

Also have Sykpe on my iphone, chat works great, better than on the laptops.

Richard Luckett

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hi Friend..Thanks for the comeback... I have found that I must be on the brink of range.. When the laptop is on the 3rd floor balcony facing a big city.. It works flawlessly.. BUT.. on a cloudy day.. we can only poorly.. if at all hook up for a few seconds
    NOW.. I have a thought that maybe someone can help with.. Seeing as the antenna and contraption that plugs into the laptop is on a USB connection..What if it were attached to a USB.. male/female extention and attached to a parobolic dish?????? Would that improve reception on a bad day??? or is the signal for a wireless phone need a different type of antenna.. I am told the antenna is 2 strands of flat wire imbedded in the plastic housing.. HELP PLEASE..
    David..my wife thanks you for the call.. Maybe we can go shooting sometime over there.. It's been a year since I fired a round.. go easy on me..LOL..
    All Good.. Mike

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.