1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wire shell catchers and the Beretta 391?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Jst bought two 391 Berettas. The problem is the neither the Beretta bolt release or Carey Closer works with a shell catcher. I would like to have one of the wire catchers, with the stif wire installed in the receiver lip , but not sure where to go to find who does it. Does anybody know installs them?

2. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

Is there a specific reason you want a wire catcher? I'd recommend the T&S catcher which simply snapped into place and is easily removed for doubles. No permanent mounting required and they are made of a soft plastic that won't scratch up your receiver. Just my 2 cents worth.

You can check them out at: http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/

Rich

3. ray 4n6

ray 4n6 TS Member

I have a T & S shell catcher on my 391 and have no problem with the factory bolt release, but I was warned that the Carey closer will not allow the use of a T & S shell catcher.

4. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

The Carey Closer Classic is said to work with the T&S shell catcher. You can see a picture of the setup at: http://www.fieldandclays.com/carey.htm.

Rich

5. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

Whoops - Says "Except the 391". My error.

Rich

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

I never thought about it not owning one but drilling holes in the aluminum receiver does not sound like a good idea.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

First of all lets get this right. There are NO HOLES drilled in the receiver for the piano wire shell catcher, the holes are drilled in the barrel.

Mine was installed approx. 25 years ago on my Super-X, I have lost and remade the wires many times over the years. These wire catchers are much easier to use than the T&S as far as inserting a shell, but they are not always 100% at catching a fired shell, usually about 90%. But I would much rather use the wire than the clip on catcher.

Mine was installed by Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster, CA. their phone number is 714-894-9100 talk to either Fred or Jason.

Tom Strunk

8. slide action

Tom, Thanks for the info. I may call them and see if I can get them to. There used to be a couple of guys in Ill. that did it, but that was a long time ago. The holes WERE drilled into the reciver on the Win. 1400 my wife started out on. The barrel lug did not extend out into the receiver like other guns. I loved the wire shell catcher and it worked better than any other. Installing and removing it for doubles was really easy. I thought about trying to do it myself, but can't find the stiff wire required. For some reason the wife doesn't want me cutting the wires on her piano?! The catcher will be installed on my wifes gun. She doen't like the extra pressure required to push the button on the realease. She loves the Carey Closer, but it won't allow the use of the snap on shell catcher. At 5 cents a pop, I can't see letting those STS hulls go.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I used a wire catcher on my 1100 for years, but looking at my current 391 it looks like trying to drill into the barrel and use a wire catcher is going to be very difficult, and probably won't work very well. The receiver looks like the only place for a wire shell catcher on the 391.
    Carey makes a shell catcher to go with their closer. You ought to contact them and see if they will sell you one individually. (The closer and the catcher are only sold together as a package.)

10. crew

crew TS Member

Hi, About four years ago someone on this sight told how to make a wire catcher maybe they will see this and respond. I had a 391 and made one myself it worked great my reason for making one was the T&S catcher didn't work well with the stud that was installed for knocking down the hulls in Doubles. I used a drill press and cut slots in the barrel with a band saw it wasn't hard and came out fine. The guy said what size drill and paino wire to use and where to drill. I got the wire size drills and wire from Brownells. I had an 1100 years ago that had a wire catcher before any catchers were ready made so I knew a little about what to do. Any gunsmith would be able to make a catcher pretty easy I made a couple of them but I don't remember the sizes now and I don't have the 391 to look at.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mike---Some where in my collection of junk I have some of the heavy dental wire that I used to put a catcher in my 391. Give me a call and I will send it to you.

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

send email I can't upload picture of shell catcher snapcapguy@ameritech.net

13. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Run a search on this, I think Tron or someone posted a pic one time on how to do this. JD

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's a pix of one on a 1100 barrel, I would guess the 391 would be similar.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. slide action

Thanks for the replies. Shadow, I'll give you a call this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 shell catcher wire

t&s shell catcher super x