1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wire Shell Catcher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Many moons ago, I had the address through this site, of a fellow who did an excellent job putting a wire shell catcher in my 1100. I would like to know where, I can buy a small amount of this type of wire. Brownells have it listed but in too large of quantities for me. I know I'll have to mike the diam. of the wire. I no longer have the name/address of the installer.
    Many thanks,
    JJJ

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

most hardware stores sell it. .040 spring steel wire.

3. Team Benelli/Beretta

Team Benelli/Beretta TS Member

or you can now put on the shell catcher that you stick on with heavy duty mounting tape and you can remomve it really easy. i bought 10 of them for our highschool trap program for some of our kids. only takes a few sections to install and uninstall. i got mine from gamalli shooting supply or gamelli or something like that. TJ

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

What kind of "heavy duty mounting tape" do you use? Any particular brand? Hardware store type? Thanks, Ed

5. oldcop

oldcop Member

The one I have, that I have never mounted on my X1 (Birchwood Casey) appears to have a slightly thick double-sided tape like you might use for mounting outdoor address plaques, etc. The package includes several die-cut pieces. Got some extra at Home Depot in a roll called "Scotch outdoor mounting tape".....in case I really use the catcher. Ruck has a good method for catching using rubber bands cut from old bicycle tubes I am gonna try.

6. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

old cop, the type of catcher you have is the most versatile kind you can get. years ago it was the type used on win sx1's in a hard steel blued type.(the company that made these quit making them or went out of business) and then birchwood casey started making them again. the double faced tape wasn't as good as it is now though, this type of catcher will work on any type of auto. i have always used these on my 1100/87's rather than the t.s. which will mark your reciever over time. also the spring type is easier to remove a live round should you have to. shotgun sports sells these i believe. dennis

7. JLW

JLW TS Member

A guy drilled two holes my bb'l ext. and fashioned a bobby pin to catch the hulls.

Also, the same company that makes the metal one, makes a plastic that won't scratch your blue.-Jerald

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The guy who did my 1100 used piano wire.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

For what it's worth. I called Stu Wright yesterday as they were installing a weld on my barrel extension, (Super X-1) to deflect the shells downward. I asked them if they could drill the 2 holes to enable me to use the "wire" shell catcher. They do not want to drill in this area. They said that they found several barrel extensions that had cracked due to the drilling. Anyway that's what Scott told me at Wrights. Ed

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Someone on another forum suggested a rubber band in front of the carrier handle, over the front part of the ejection port. My 1187 is not a trap gun, so I never get to try it. But I just tried it with a snap cap. The shell stays in the chamber. Not sure how it will react in actual firing.

Cheap, if it works, and no drilling required. Saves that piano wire for smiting ones enemies!!

Danny

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Danny...there are MUCH better ways. Long, slow torture is preferrable.

12. blooper

blooper TS Member

i've done a couple for myself...use .062 piano wire, drill the barrel tang with a #52 .063 number drill

13. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

I made mine out of a heavy paper clip.

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I work in a dental laboratory and I found that .045" orthodontic wire is perfect for this application. This stuff is normally bent by a technician and installed in retainers or even sometimes soldered to a partial denture framework to replace a broken clasp arm. It is designed to be bent, is very durable, and will not rust no matter how wet it gets and it comes in small lengths. If you have a local dental laboratory try dropping in and asking if they have any they would sell you or perhaps talk your dentist into throwing in a piece with the price of your next cleaning. Just make sure you tell them what thickness you want, they sell this wire in several different diameters.

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Tim M.. Thanks! Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.