1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winter targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by petey, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petey

petey Member

are tagets harder to break in cold weather ? It seems like I have better luck with 7 1/2 shot in the winter.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't think the targets are harder to break, but it is harder for us to break the targets. Heavy clothing, cold fingers, Sun low in the horizon giving us less light and reduced velocity due to cold powder all may contribute to lower scores.

And, my gun shivers when it gets cold.

Pat Ireland

3. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

The picture above was taken at the Dixie Grand. Pat is shooting his favorite kind of winter targets!

38-01615

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I agree with Pat. The slower shells and more open patterns due to the cold make it much more difficult to break good scores. This is a spring time shoot at Anchor Point Alaska. It was just above zero.

5. petey

petey Member

The burn rate of the powder is lower due to the low temps witch in turn lowers the barrel presures, witch results in lower velocities. Is this correct ?
    So everybody that says targets are harder to break because they are cold or frozen (the tagets) are full of it.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

petey you asked (or told I am not sure which)if "The burn rate of the powder is lower due to the low temps witch in turn lowers the barrel presures, witch results in lower velocities. Is this correct ?" I would say not if you are smart enough to compensate for the conditions it is easy if you reload.

Bob Lawless

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

The one thing you can't compensate for is the denser cold air that disrupts your patterns. At zero I loose as much as 15-20% of my pattern to flyers compared to 40+ degrees. This past weekend we were shooting at zero degrees from the 27 and a guy behind me remarked that it seemed like it was taking forever to break after the shot, and it really was. That is my excuse anyway. LOL

Jim

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When targets get cold they get brittle. When it is cold out the humidity is usually high. This makes the air less dense. How am I doing so far? Use a fast burning powder and a hot primer and stop complaining. HMB

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You were doing fine, HMB, until you got to the humidity part. While true that high humidity causes air to be less dense than it would be dry, when it's cold even a high relative humidity is very, very low absolute humidity and it's the absolute humidity value that determines it's effect.

So the upshot is that cold air is going to be denser than warm no matter what the humidity and the targets are going to be drier as well, if they absorb moisture from the air much, which is also an unproven conjecture, but one which you, personally, did not offer.

Neil

10. petey

petey Member

I am not complaining but I always hear the old boys at the club say that that when it is cold (below freezing) the targets are harder and more brittle.
    I would think if they were more brittle they would break easier.
    Maybe we need to call MYTH BUSTERS.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

OK, my secret is out. Fred posted a picture of me shooting in bitterly cold temperatures at the Dixie Grand. I did have on a heavy long sleeve shirt in the photograph. That day, the temperature did not get above 65 degrees. I only got to wear shorts two days during the entire 9 days I shot.

The second photograph posted by otnot must have been made with photo-shop. There appears to be snow in the background and surely no shooter would walk out on a trap field with snow around. I am in my heated office and I had to put on a coat to keep warm after just looking at that picture. I question the ability of humans to survive at temperatures below 35 degrees.

Pat Ireland- a rugged outdoors man

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Targets are harder to break in cold weather....

just one more irrefutable reason to stay warm and comfortable indoors until it's again time to shoot in short sleeves!

Morgan

13. JimE

JimE Member

Here's a little hard data to toss into the sea of speculation already churning on this subject. It basically says that there's a moderately significant relationship between air temp and pattern efficiency. Simply put, you loose efficiency as the temperature drops, very likely due to increased air density. I did these tests several years ago, and had I to do it again, would probably change a couple things to eliminate some variation due to non temperature factors.

Jim