1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LFT687, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFT687

LFT687 Member

The wind has been howling fiercely here on Long Island for the past two days. It's a little better today, with steady wind 20 - 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. and a temp., without windchill, of 20 degrees. It certainly feels windier. At our local range, the town range in Ridge, our winter league alternates Sundays between trap and skeet. Since our last trap day was snowed out by 26+ inches on snow, my shooting buddy and I were anxious to get out and break some targets. What a hoot! Now I know a lot of you guys live in really frigid climates, but this weather sure makes breaking clays interesting. The wind was howling across the field. There were times when the wind would push us off the station. Station five was particularly tough with the wind blowing directly in our faces. At other times the blowing snow would make the orange target disappear between the time we yelled pull and the time we went bang! After the first 25 my fingers wer so numb that when I reached into my pocket for a shell I often came out with two or three. A few times I didn't notice that the shell hadn't made it into the chamber until I saw it laying in the snow. Thank goodness for Winchester red. We had to take a break between the first and second fifty so our fingers and the kid who was pulling could warm up a little. Up in the clubhouse we heard of other shooters who left after just a few shots or stations, most not completing a full round. Why come out at all? Our second fifty was no more successful than our first fifty, but boy did we have fun! Since I register any target I get the chance to my ATA average really took a beating today, but I shoot for fun, not average anyway. I can think of few things I'd rather be doing on any day than shooting trap, even in the winter!

Break 'em all, even the frozen ones!

Dave

2. PODO

PODO TS Member

Dave - know were your coming from - just came back from my club in Michigan-
    18 deg 15-20 mi wind - Thank God I was not shooting ATA birds today - busted a pair of 20's from the 16 yd - TOM (could not feel the shells in my pocket even with gloves on)

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Ah yes, shooting in the Northeast.....(or North).....c'mon April

4. tdhrlyrydr

tdhrlyrydr TS Member

can I get an amen!!!!!!!!!!! c,mon april !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

It was about 5 degrees this morning at the Plug&Pellet in Rockford. Tough shooting.

6. Single Shooter

Single Shooter TS Member

Falling snow and cold weather will never stop me from shooting.

I love shooting and always will.

Zach,

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ever notice how good that gunsmoke smells when you are shooting in fridgid weather?

Good going Dave, you have the right mindset. When it is all said and done this game is about the memories you make and taking on winter shooting is something you won't forget.

8. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I forgot to mention that even after we got back in the truck it took me quite a while to get my earplugs out. My hands were so numb that even though I could feel around the general vicinity of my ears, I couldn't get a grip on the little handles of the plugs! One good thing about it was that I couldn't hear my scores!

9. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

80 degrees at Redlands,Ca New Yrs Shoot yesterday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.