1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smthro06, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smthro06

smthro06 Member

I'm having trouble adjusting my gun fit for the colder conditions in the northeast. Went from averaging 96 to about 86 in 1 month because my POI has moved about 3" left at 20 yards. I'm finding it difficult to achieve a proper gun fit from the extra clothing. I've changed my recoil pad to one that is 1/2" shorter which helped minimally. Any suggestions to be more proficient in the colder conditions? I am trying to find the right combination of clothing to stay comfortable in the conditions while minimizing the cumbersome nature of heavy or loose clothing bunching up in my shoulder pocket. What I've been able to tell so far is that the gun wants to set more on my chest than in the shoulder which I find is causing my POI to be where it is now. Thanks for any help.

SF

2. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Beretta, Browning and Cabelas all have wind proof jackets/sweaters. Start with a base layer of fleece and add layers as needed under your wind proof shell. The sweaters can be bulky but the sure are warm. I winter camped in younger days, just remember cotton klills (and does nothing to keep you warm).

Wiser folks will advise on poi.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would be nice if trap ranges had heated firing points for winter shooting. HMB

4. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

3"...? How can you make that claim? There are some many other variables

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats winter for you, we usually have to change over to long pants for a week or two when winter hits then its right back to shorts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. smthro06

smthro06 Member

Headhunter,

I tested a number of rounds on our patterning board once I saw my scores start to drop and my hits get less centered. I installed my extra-full choke and shot about 12 rounds or so and measured the center of the pattern. Without fail, the center was at least 3" left on every shot. I made some adjustments to the recoil pad and comb which didn't do much for me. This has been a similar pattern for the past few winters. We had a warmer stretch when I could shoot in a long sleeved t-shirt a few weeks ago and broke 48 of 50 in our league which was about what I had been doing most of the season. Once it got colder and I started using flannel-lined, hooded sweatshirts again, I went back to 18-22 for a round and have been there for the last couple of weeks. I've also done my own experiments on the practice line. If I take extra time and REALLY make sure that the gun is in my shoulder pocket (which is a bit tough to do when you can't feel the gun) I definitely make more clean breaks. If I just go through my normal gun mount procedure that I've done the entire seasin and do what seems to be comfortable, I invariably make light breaks or flat out miss. From what I've learned so far through this work, there are too many coincidences to not want to focus on the variable gun mount that seems pretty apparent this time of year.

Scott Felix

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Scott, You a big guy? If you are, get a windbreaker sweater. If you aren't, get a windbreaker sweater! Your biggest problem is mental. The "feel" is different and it's working on your brain.
    Maybe reduce your LOP 1/8 to 1/4" at the most.

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Shooting trap here in NE Ohio in the winter is best for me when I don't use a shooting coat. Instead I wear a turtleneck, sweatshirt & shooting vest. I'll shoot with golf gloves on both hands. That seems to work best for me as it doesn't change my length of pull. A stocking cap and sponge ear plugs works out fine. BT100dc

9. smthro06

smthro06 Member

Thanks for all of the tips everybody. Christmas is coming, I think I'll ask Santa for some new shooting clothes. I didn't see much difference in switching pads. I'm certain my problem is all in feel and I'm going to focus on that variable. Hope I get it straight soon or it'll be a long winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.