1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Are some people just terrible shooters in the winter? I'm seriously starting to think I've lost the touch of shooting trap. I can't get how terrible I've shot the past few months out of my mind and it's almost driving me crazy. It seems like regardless of what I do I just can't break the low 40s. This past weekend I shot a 23 the first round and then went and shot 15 the second round. My shooting has almost become embarrassing at this point.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Welcome to the CLUB I'm a life member. (grin) A 17 on the 1st round then a 22 last week. Today 24 & then 23, today was 70 degrees in Ga. Hopefully better next time, hang in there. Ross Puls

3. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Way too much negative thinking. Practice the basics with each & every shot. 1 common mistake I see people make is way too much clothing restricting gun fit & movement. You are generally out for 10 minutes or less. Wear just enough to get through it & then head for the clubhouse! Either that or make some serious adjustments to yuor gun to allow for the extra clothes. Personally, I like the just enough to get by option. It is the same game as in the summer except you are colder. Mind of matter....if you don't mind - it doesn't matter. Some try to shoot faster, hold different places, etc from what they do in the summer. Making radical changes will produce radical results, generally negative in my opinion. We shoot in upstate NY in the snow, wind cold, rain or whatever so I have some experience at this... Just don't give up. If you broke a 23 once you can do it again. Only next time make the goal a 24.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I shoot in upstate NY too and wear just enough clothing to get by. Usually shorts and a t shirt with a light fleece jacket. Shooting terrible scores week after week is getting old, hopefully my scores are directly related to temperature.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Leo that was quoted saying,"If it's too cold to shoot in a tee shirt, it's too cold to shoot! But then consider the insulation he carried back then. There were photos of him standing knee deep in snow shooting in his tee shirt.

Big Jack

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Shot a 49/50 today, I think I'm getting back in the flow of things with the warm weather on the way. Missed the easiest bird of the day. :(

7. bigk

bigk TS Member

Nothing to do with how cold it is. It has all to do with the light.In winter the sun shines at an angle to the clays.In the summer it shines on their back.Result easier to see. You cant hit what you cant see and trap shooting is all to do with seeing the target.
    K

8. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Here in southeast Idaho we shoot all winter.

The winds howl fiercely, the snow blows, and visibility does not quite reach the front bead.

We bundle up accordingly defying all notions of gun fit.

When we have mastered this condition (means we're shooting half as good as we were last summer), the weather changes to something tolerable.

Without the bundling clothes and wind, our scores drop dramatically and it will be July before we relearn to shoot.

We trade a lot of guns during all this time trying to cure our ailments and sometimes end up back with the gun we started with and a little less money in our pocket. Someone must net out a gain in all this trading plus cash, but no one confesses to being ahead at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting during winter