1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Shooting Glove Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapdaddy, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

We have a young lady shooter in our youth program which suffers from cold hands. It is due to exposure the last several years working outside around horse barns in the winter. She does not want a bulky glove, but needs some warmth. We are located in central Virginia so the winters are not brutally cold, but can be cold and damp. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gun Gloves

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Cabelas electric hand muff. Operates on 4 AA batteries or rechargables. It has heated grips inside.

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Gun Gloves, in my opinion are not very warm. I have some uninsulated Windstopper gloves that are pretty warm, I have never gotten cold hands in the Windstopper gloves. Also, ColdGear gloves are pretty nice.

5. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

Thanks! I checked out the website and will call tomorrow.

6. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

Are the ColdGear from Under Armor?

7. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of "windstopper" gloves out there. Which brand is it that you recommend?

Thanks,
    Chip

8. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I use Gripswell here in Alaska.

http://www.gripswell.com/gsi.php

If it's really cold (below 0 or colder),I put some hand warmers in them.

9. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

Trap, I picked up a pair of Ryno gloves at Dicks for winter shooting. They are black leather, 40 gram Thinsulate and all for a whopping $15. Sometimes, you just find a bargain.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

WinterSof gloves from Footjoy. Golf shops have lots of them this time of year.

Wayne

11. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Winter golf gloves are pretty good but I can tell you from experience that gloves are NOT the way to keep hands warm if you are sensitive to cold... mittens are. And thin tight gloves are way worse for warmth than loose bulky ones.

If she's going to wear gloves she needs to consider an additional heat source like a Jon-E warmer or heat pack in each pocket to keep her hands in between shots.

Mike K

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Leather golf gloves. HMB

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Specialized websites that sell to law enforcement have the best selection. Last year we explred this in detail, maybe someone has a link or 2.

HM

14. open choke

open choke TS Member

well to avoid bulk a "standard weight gun glove" with a hand warmer is what I will be using

until then I will use my golf gloves

15. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have used ssg winter gloves for years. They are horse gloves with thinsulate on the back and thinner palms. I use the all weather glove the rest of the time . Get them from Dover saddlery $25 .

16. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

The Gripswell gloves have holes in them. BUT, they still keep my hands warm while shooting. Between squads I put big, orange shooting mittens over the gloves -or I go inside and sit by the fire. The second option is preferred in almost every situation.

Larry

17. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Save a whole bunch of money.. go to the local golf store and buy "winter" golf gloves. If it gets really cold.. use one of the shake up hand warmers in the back of each glove.. the blood runs close to the surface and will keep the fingers warm.

18. kbud

kbud Member

http://www.manzella.com/index.php/products/detail/wp-10
    These are what I have used the last year and a half. So far I think they are the best shooting glove I have owned.

19. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

I appreciate all the suggestions. Everyone has been so helpful-as usual!

I will explore the options with her. We have a local "tactical" store (5.11) so will check it out also. Good time to remind her of the obvious-thermal underwear top and stocking hat go a long way to preserving warmth without drastically affecting gun fit. I like the handwarmers placed in the glove on the back of the hands. Thanks again for all the help!!

20. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

This thread has reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask folks.

I do not like cold and I do not shooting in a coat...and I do not like gloves. So, I pretty much quit shooting in the winter. Then, about ten years ago, someone told me that if I kept my "trunk" warm, the rest of me would be OK. So, one day, I layered up: T-shirt under a thermal undershirt under a turtleneck under a sweater. I could still wear my regular vest, so I went out and tried it in 30-degree weather...and it worked. Even without gloves my hands were fine for the 45 minutes it took to shoot 50 targets.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

-J.F. Wolfington, Phila., PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content