1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Shooting Coat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Daryl Middlebrook, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl Middlebrook

Daryl Middlebrook TS Member

I am looking for recommendations for who makes a good winter trap and skeet shooting coat. I am a left hand shooter and live in upstate New York.

The "hunting" coats that I have looked at in Gander Mountain, Dicks, Bass Pro etc. are all to bulky and do not provide the freedom of movement neccessary for trap and especially skeet shooting.

Thanks for your help.
    Daryl Middlebrook

2. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I like to wear a shooting vest over high quality light weight freedom of movement jackets made by Marmot. These are not shooting jackets but are designed for mountain climbing. Jackets/coats with Prima Loft insulation are the best. Light weight, litle bulk and very warm.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Contact Custom Sportswear and Optical, their coats are very shooter friendly and have zip in liners for cold weather, Have been wearing one for 10 years now and it is still in good shape. Phone number is 740-862-6066

They make their own coats.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i second the one for custom. I have two of them and they are great. Mine has the zip out lining but probably should have the sew in lining and save the extra cost. motordoc

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ke4yyd - Aren't you from Florida? Daryl is from upstate NY. Different needs?

6. Garry

Garry Active Member

Here's the website for Custom Sportswear & Optical.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Closeout sale on Bob Allen coat at link.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Bargain Cave at Cabela's. $39.99. I got a close-out shooting jacket there a while back, but this one looks even better.

or cut-and-paste:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Shooting-Clothing/Mens-Shooting-Jackets-Coats|/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104563080/i/103954680/NRA-Quilt-Jacket/725687.uts

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

He asked about "freedom of movement". There is nothing better than the Marmot line to meet the need of freedom of movement and warmth. Much better than any thing I have seen in the "shooting line". However, they don't have the pockets shooters need. Thats why I wear a shooting vest.

10. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Just purchased a Filson

http://www.filson.com/

for a friend, she likes it very much, so much, in fact, I ordered one for her mother. I also ordered two from Shoot the Moon,

http://shotgunveststm.com/

they haven't arrived yet, but looked very nice on thier web site.

11. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

AMEN! to John Storm!!!

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Beretta winter down shooting coat. Very light, not restrictive, very warm. Best below 32 degrees.

13. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Another vote for John Storm!!!Glenn Allison

14. brownk80

brownk80 Member

John Storm. Get the quilted liner that can be removed when it is too warm. Also Beretta makes a down coat that I also like. They aren't cheap but they are worth the money.

Brownk80

15. flyfishdave

flyfishdave TS Member

Daryl,

I recently purchased the Wild Hare Cold Weather Shooting Coat, available in black and olive, left handed versions in black only.

WildHarejacket-vi.jpg

Nice coat and has pockets like a regular shooting vest. It's sized generously so it can get a bit 'bunched' up when mounting, but is certainly warm with the right layers. The short collar is nice, and avoids interference with the stock. Fit was a little big for me so went the Marmot route like others have suggested.

marmotgravity-vi.jpg

Marmot Gravity softshell form fitting jacket. Relatively warm and windproof, but not bulky. Arm movement was excellent without encumbrances during the mount, and very little 'bunching' of material in the shoulder pocket, especially when worn with form fitting synthetic base layers, etc. Wore it tonight with a plain t-shirt (always wear a t-shirt no matter how hot or cold), a thin synthetic base layer, and another thin synthetic layer (Techwick Thermo by EMS) under the jacket in uppper 40' temps and was fine. If colder, I'll likely add a warmer base and/or mid layer.

I thought the coat collar (taller than Wild Hare) would be an issue (I have a short neck too), but presented no problems with my usual gun mount. Softshell material is slick enough allow a smooth mount, but did not allow the pad to slip at all. Shoulder area has no prominent seams to cause pressure points either. Pockets are too small for shells so you'll need a shell pouch with this jacket. Sleeve cuffs are adjustable which is nice. I looked at a similar Patagonia (Guide Jacket) softshell which was GREAT, but had non-adjustable cuffs which was a deal breaker.

While I'd rather wear my trusty beater Barbour international vest, keeping my arms and body warm required too many bulky wools and synthetics.

Jacket lists for $150 but here's the BEST part.......EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) has an online coupon you can sign up for which is good for 20% off any regular priced items (not just one item) either in store or via online ordering. Just go online and look for the 'friends and family' coupon offer.

Good luck!

Dave.

16. David P.

David P. TS Member

Another vote for the Beretta down coat> I have had mine for two years now. It withstands NY winters with minimal clothing underneath, has leather shoulder patch and stand-up collar, and is machine washable. Very light and very warm.
    David

17. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Can't say enough about my Shoot The Moon Polar Fleece jacket. I wear a silk long sleeve turtleneck under mine. Keeps me warm in MA winter, sleeves are nice and long.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mrskeet410 try this link to the Cabela's site you that posted. It fits the window and saves the copy and paste needed to get there.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cold weather shooting jacket
trap shooting coat
trap shooting jackets

winter shooting coat

winter shooting coats

winter shooting jacket

winter shooting jackets

winter skeet shooting jacket