1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter reading material

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

With winter going to be here soon I was thinking about getting some good books to read, preferably bird dog or hunting books. Does any one have any favorites or suggestions?

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

One of my favorite authors is Jim Corbett - look for anything written by him. His stories chronicle his life in the jungles of India - fascinating stuff.

National Geographic has an excellent list of the 100 Best Adventure Books of all time - I've read many of them and the list is a good place to start for non-fiction related stuff.

If you like hunting stories then Ruark is excellent and I really enjoyed Pres. T. Roosevelt's african safari stories.

3. happy

happy Member

Read Patriots by Wesley Rawles Then rethink youe world. Most dangerous book in america according to liberals and our government

4. biff

biff Active Member

I have a tendency to read 3 or 4 books at a time unless they are spellbinding. I just finished a book on Lance Armstrong "Every Second Counts" which I really enjoyed as it is about what happened during his battle with cancer and his comeback with consecutive wins in the Tour De France. That is the most grueling sport event there is and it goes into what it takes to be a champion!

I started a couple good mental traing books "The Mental Edge" by Kenneth Baum and another "The New Toughness Training for Sports" by James Loehr. They are good in that the authors are not self glorifying like a lot of Mental Help programs who tell who they helped rather than give concrete examples like these books do.

Another book I have started but can read only a little at a time is "First into Nagasaki" by George Weller who was a reporter during WWII who was the first into the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima even before the military went there. What is so devastating is his reporting which was completely censored by MacAuthur, was his interviews with the surviving prisoners of the Japanese who received the most brutal treatment by American soldiers ever! I can hardly read it knowing that possibly those Japanese guards were never punished. As a companion book "The War" by Burns and Ward chronicles 4 U.S. cities and some of their citizens who wrote letters home about their experiences..Mobile, Al, Sacramento, Calif. Waterbury, Conn. and Luverne, Mich.This is a coffee table type book with some great black and white pictures of that time 1941-1945 and has some very compelling graphic images and stories.

I don't get alot of time to read during the Trap season, but hope to cozy up to some of the books purchased off Amazon.Com and the bargain books picked up here and there. Biff

5. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I you like bird dogs and shooting find something by Gene Hill, you won't be disappointed.

He will always be my favorite author on those subjects.

Joe

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Anybody know where I could get a hard-bound copy of "Trolling for Lurkers" by Tron? .....Rick

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rick, That's available in soft covers only. Great line though. Happy enticed me to get the Patriot, should be here soon. And Joe is spot on with Gene Hill, there will never be another like him. What a way with words he had. Tears to laughter at the turn of a page. Wish I'd met him. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.