1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter league over- random observations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pugs, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

Winter league is complete for most of the shooters at my local club as we are allowed to shoot ahead. League is not officially over until March 30. Some observations: 1.) Participation is about half of what it has been in the past. This is true for all events; trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand and sub-gage skeet. Sub-gage took the hardest hit.. only 30% of what it had been. 2.) Practice lines, (Participants used to shoot a practice line before shooting their "scorable" line) is about 25% of what it usually is. 3.) Far fewer "novice" trap class shooters. Only three that I know of.. usually about 15-20. One gentleman in novice class, a likeable enough guy, scored a 3 x 25 on his last line with his high score of 9x25 (we shoot 12 lines or 300 targets) still maintained an enthusiastic attitude until the end. 4.) Snowiest/windiest league that anybody remembers... over 100 in of snow this Winter and it was common to have "snow devils" run in front of the traphouse while shooting. 5.) Winning scores are UP from past years..AA class trap was won with a score of 294x300. I was off that pace by 6 birds but was over my last years total by 2. How did your Winter leagues go?

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

At the Naperville (IL) Sportsman's Club - western suburbs of Chicago - our club has a winter doubles league. I started it 3 years ago for two reasons - get people shooting doubles who might never do so and increase the number of rounds during the months that we typically see the lowest round counts.

We must shoot steel at our club, and our membership is made up predominently of recreational or social shooters. There are a handful of us that are active ATA shooters, but our club does not throw registered target. We purchased our first Pat Trap three years ago, so prior to that we did not throw any doubles.

The first year our doubles league had 15 shooters, then 19 last year and 18 this year. We shot for 7 weeks, 50-pair a week. As in the past two years, we added a week to the league because we had to cancel shooting due to what we considered dangerous conditions (very low temps and high winds causing sub-zero wind chills). Our spring and fall leagues (singles and wobble) usually attract about double that amount of shooters.

Our leagues are centered around getting people out to the range and having a good time. A couple of us that are competitive fight it out for the HOA trophy, and we give class trophies based on the Lewis system, but most people are there because they like to shoot and spend some time with their friends that shoot.

The highlight of the league is the "banquet" on the last day of the league. We fired up the Sportsman's Grill and cooked burgers and brats for everyone, and a couple of members provided breasts from 10-15 pheasants that we marinated and grilled. Everyone has a great time finishing up their league rounds and standing around the grill on a late winter afternoon enjoying something from the grill.

So, to answer your question - our winter league went great!

Scott

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

And I might add the brats where phenominal.

These leagues are always fun. The competition is friendly and they create a local outlet for those of us who might not travel to ATA events for whatever reason. The trophies change each time and the formula is really working thanks to Scott.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

we had 25 shooters for our winter league, we got some new young blood shooting also, not quit hooked yet! I think the hardest thing is just getting people there. Here in Mass GUNS can be a very hush hush thing.OOOHHHH you shoot GGGUUUUNNNNS. Any way. Are leauges are fun we have 3 classes if you win you move up. best 2 scores per week shoot as many as you want, which is a clever way of getting shooters to shoot more rounds to improve a low score. we shoot 3 days a week. total of 16weeks best 12 weeks for the final. We will need a new class either a HOA club champ class or a platnium class? Then the pot luck dinner at the end brings it all together. I love shooting ATA I and 1 other member are the only ones that do. The local league and compititions are a tad better in overall fun. I like the compitition level of ATA a tad better, heck I just like to shoot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.