1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter League Clothing Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I shoot Winter League in New Hampshire, maybe not the coldest place going but it's up there. I have developed some circulation issues (mostly hands and feet) and the cold effects me a LOT more than it did when I was younger. I am looking for suggestions from all of you cold weather shooters as to what works for trap shooting in winter. ANY ideas will help. Electric gloves, socks? I know that layers work best. Florida works better.(That was pre-emptive.) I also know that keeping your core warm will help with your hands and feet. I really don't want to not shoot Winter League. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There is nothing warmer than spandex. Go to a local bike shop and get a spandex outfit, something really colorful with a bunch of foreign corporation names all over it. Wear just that. Have someone take pictures, Post them here. Please.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Give this web site a go. Hot Hand hand and toe warmers work great. Available at most Walmarts around WI/MN.

http://www.industrialsafetygear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=warmingpacks&gclid=CLK975CX9I8CFQSOFQodARB2Kw

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

We shoot in some cold weather and even colder when the wind is blowing.
    I find layering is good for the body and use good pack boots with toe warmer if necessary. I hate shooting with gloves but will wear one on my non-trigger hand. A chemical hand warmer works good in your pocket as you wait your turn.
    Also a really warm cap keeps a lot of the heat in and when the wind is really blowing I'll also wear a hooded coat.
    Between shooting we gather around a wood stove and it's important to take some off the outer ware off to keep from sweating. Keeping dry is important in keeping warm and comfortable.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a high tech gortex golf rain suit, pants and jacket. Runs about $120.00. Keeps the heat in and lets the moisture out, it is also wind proof, and is light weight. Put a hand warmer in each pocket and you will be toasty warm while you shoot. HMB

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

winter sucks. i hate shooting in the cold and snow.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I wear my favorite themal unders right now thats the Underarmour brand. A bib type ski/snow pants Red wing insulated boots. For up top I will wear my inner liner of my ski jacket. Any wind proof winter fleece is good. I also have a warm hat. a fleece neck warmer, winter golf gloves. I buy the hand and body warmers at a discount store and keep plenty handy. If I need more than this I wont shoot. The ski pants are key to my comfort. they cover my boots well, have zippers running full length down both legs. Easy on and off. Keep the wind off you best as possible.

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Ron,

Go to Carol Davis Sportswear (a sponsor of this site, link above) and pick up the Style 3 Body Sock. Then go to SierraTradingPost and pick up some fleece shirts or some Woolrich shirts. Use a neck gaiter, a warm hat, chemical hand warmers, gloves and a Cabelas Dry-Plus shooting coat and you should be set.

Incidentally, SierraTradingPost is having a 50% off sale this weekend.

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Nothing warmer, with less bulk, than fleece.
    Gore-Tex is a waterproof membrane; it will keep you dry but has no insulating properties.

I've heard good things about the UnderArmor line of clothing, and have been using Thermax undergarments for my duck hunting for a long time with complete satisfaction.

Thermax or ColdGear (UnderArmor) teeshirt and unders, fleece long-tailed pullover and pants,and a wind-breaking jacket and overpants should keep you comfortable through a round of trap in most weather we'll be shooting in.

10. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be doing some online shopping today. Yesterday was 30 degrees with a 25 - 30 mph wind. As I write this it is 16 degrees.

JB, could you post pics of you shooting in your Spandex? On second thought, please don't.

11. KenC

KenC Member

Winter GOLF gloves are good. They keep your hands warm while providing a firm grip.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This would be subjective at best because everyone has a different idea of what warm is ... Where I live we go from shooting in shorts to long pants and maybe a sweatshirt for the winter ... I thought winter was never going to end last year because I had to wear long pants for almost 3 weeks, but then the weather finally broke ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The trick is to layer without adding bulk. Take a look at Patagonia and Lowe Alpine clothing. They will keep you toasty without bulk. You will need three layers at a minimum. A next to skin layer of Patagonia Silkweight capaline undershirt, something like the lightest Lowe Alpine Aleutian fleece (or a Patagonia R1 or 1.5) and a super thin wind proof/ water resistant shell will keep you warm to 32 deg F. with less than 1/8" of bulk (less when the gun compresses it). If you are going to be moving around a lot, Lowe Alpine dry-flo fabric is the best around at wicking moisture while keeping you warm. If you are going to spend a lot of time standing around in 20 deg weather, add a Patagonia puff ball vest, preferably down.

Dry-flo tights under your jeans will keep you warm in any temp.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wisconsin can get as cold as anywhere, and to make matters worse we shoot at night. My Thinsulate deer hunting boots, duofold or other good underwear,and a turtleneck. then the Flannel or fleece lined jeans.

top it with a good sweater over the turtleneck and a Browning or Bob Allen Cold weather shooting coat and you're good to 10 below. Heat packs are in use a lot here. They last longer than the shooting so we toss them back and foth among us.

But....you also have to be acclimatized to the cold. Good thing it comes gradually instead of all at once.

HM

15. JEB

JEB Active Member

I shoot in two winter leagues on Long Island. The temperature isn't as cold as New Hampshire, which I know well having spent four winters in Hanover, but it is much damper and that goes right through you. On days below 20 degrees all I need is fleece lined jeans, better than flannel lined, a Duofold shirt, then a fleece turtle neck shirt, and my shooting jacket which is from Shoot The Moon -- light weight and wind resistant. Insulated boots with heat pack insoles keep my feet warm. I also use Cabelas insulated shooting gloves, and a fleece hat under a baseball cap. The only thing that gets cold are my fingers despite disposable hand warmers.

Years ago I used heavy wool pants, pac boots, wool shirts and long johns. They were a lot more bulky and not as warm.

John Bergman

16. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I buy the silk long underwear, tops and bottoms (heavyweight) from Cabelas and they work great. I also use the belly pak with a large heated handwarmer, zipped into the pocket. I wear it over my jacket. It keeps your middle warm and also your hands, between shooting. I hate gloves! Shooting and then putting my hands into the warmed belly pak, keeps my hands warm for the whole round.

17. razor

razor TS Member

we go with thin layers of under amour and a fleece lined shirt or sweater topped off with a storm or pavillian coat this still allows movement and you can just take your coat off in the clubhouse and be comfortable. as far as hands go my wife heard this last year on this site and this works great for her.buy some ADHESIVE toe warmers and stick them to the back of your hands and then she puts on her thin shooting gloves. this keeps the blood warm that is flowing to the finger tips. you can not beleive how this works. hope this helps, up north in wi. razor & ellie

18. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

The stick-on warmers work even better if you put them on the undersides of your wrists! Try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.