1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Blahs - No Trapshooting - Your solution?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Due to weather, work, and other issues I haven't fired a shot at a clay target since just before Thanksgiving. I didn't figure I would miss trapshooting so much. Shooting trap must do more for my psyche than I realized.

I am starting to see that, unless you live in Florida, or a similar climate, trapshooting really is a seasonal sport. There are still shoots in my area, but crawling out of bed on a Saturday at 5:30am when it is 28 degrees out, and driving for two to three hours is hard to get motivated to do, especially after a grueling work week. Somehow, when the weather is warm, it seems easier...part of getting older I guess.

Anyway, I was wondering what others do during the off season. I don't reload, and I would think even that would get old after a few weekends, so I am curious, what do you do to stay sane until shooting resumes?

bluedsteel

2. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I do the only thing that works. Go to the club, dig out the trap fields from under the snow and make some noise.

Happy Holidays, Oxford Gun Club, Oxford Pa

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you dont go because it is cold, I guess you just dont like to shoot that much. We shoot no matter what, rain, snow whatever. Life is too short to miss out because of the weather

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a DriFire computer system, and shoot 50,000 targets this winter.

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Go to Arizona for a couple of months...Hard on the pocket book but good for the gun and my tan...Odie

6. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Build lottsa bullets for when the weather is nicer and go ice fishing.'Gills are much tastier then clays anyway!

7. warren

warren Member

Get ready for shooting by shoping for and acquiring amunition, if you reload it's a good time to load em up for next year, get your shotgun out and give it a good cleaning, then do as suggested and go somewhere that's warm and you can shoot. That's what I'm gonna do fortunatly my son lives in Phoenix and I can go visit.

warren

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

With the winter weather upon us I can relate to what is being said ... Somedays its so overcast that the sun don't shine until almost 10 AM which kind of puts damper on my day ... I wear long pants in the winter (when cold) and last year I had to wear them almost two weeks, I thought winter was never going to end ... The weather here (Arizona) provides us with over 300 days of sunshine so we don't even bother going out to shoot on those dismal and dreary days or if the wind is blowing hard enough to snuff a match ... Hey, Its winter what does everyone really expect, sometime we just have to grin and bear it and tough it out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Having arthritis that is made worse by cold weather doesn't help. The suggestion about the Dry Fire product is interesting. I went to the web site, and it was pretty informative. I wonder if others here have experience with this product..?

It is too late this year, but perhaps I can make plans to shoot in the Dixie Grand in 2011...

bluedsteel

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is cold and overcast, not shooting weather for me. But, two weeks from today I will be on the line at Silver Dollar. God made Florida so we can shoot in the Winter.

Pat Ireland

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Winter coyote hunting.

12. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Winter league. Its not warm by any stretch, but busting clays is quite therapeutic...

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I save all of my reloading until winter. Our club opens every Sunday so we can shoot, but most of the guys are skeeters. We do get some league combo stuff going so that helps. Skeet, 16's, sporting and mix in handicap or doubles.

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I reload. I get some gun project going like right now I'm refinishing a stock on a Ruger 10/22. Something gun related to pass the time. I even go shoot skeet on a Sunday afternoon just because that club is closer!

Steve

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Jef we shot the day after the snow last Saturday and going to shoot in the morning. Get a grip and get out and play......

FRedmon

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's what we're doing in a couple of weeks...

Curt - Delaware

[​IMG]

17. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I shoot at a little club in the south that is southern indiana,they shoot games and a 50 bird calcutta every sat. nite.. a cup of coffee cost a whole dime the food is good and the shooters are friendly.They will shoot no matter what the weather does..

18. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just got into it this year but There is winter league and the local clubs still shoot practice every week, just changed nights from summer to winter days. Besides myself there is always a nut to go to the line with me, and the local York-Penn league sees anywhere from 90-130 shooters per week.

Jerry in SW New York.

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Obviously, the closer one lives to a trap range the easier it is to make it to shoots, and the warmer it is when you have to leave the house...especially if you are shooting registered and have to make a start time.

Part of the problem around here is not only the cold, but most weekends have been rainouts since Thanksgiving...no fun shooting in 40 degrees and rain...in my book anyway.

My days of proving something to myself in "Iron Man" competitions are behind me.

Hopefully, the weekends will improve, and some club shooting can be enjoyed soon.

bluedsteel

20. JRW

JRW Member

I agree with a couple posts above. In 2-3 weeks I will be on my way to see WPT in sunny AZ. Will be there 12 weeks. Merry Christmas Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.