1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winner of the Krieghoff

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick (Pa), Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Winner of the krieghoff at the Pennsylvania state shoot today. I don't remember his name. some good shooting
    rickpa_2008_030311.jpg

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Howard Burkholder from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.

Ed

3. AveragEd

He also was the resident senior veteran winner with a 96. I don't know his yardage.

Ed

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

Howard 'Red' Burkholder has been a trapshooter for MANY years, although he has not shot a great deal of registered targets. He has been shooting a KS-5 and shot a BT-100 before that. Red is an active member on the trap committee of the Shippensburg Fish and Game Association. (Note stylish SF&GA blue and gold logo on his t-shirt.)

Red shot from the 20 yard line yesterday and I think he said that there were 5 rounds in the shoot off for the combo. He told me at Elysburg yesterday morning that he was going to bring the K-80 home. Good shooting Red!!!

5. AveragEd

It's great to see an "average" shooter win something like that. I'd also be willing to bet that Howard is not the type to post the gun for sale on here right away. Bob, please pass along my congrats to him. I had to work at Williams Grove last night, so we couldn't stay for the shoot-off.

Ed

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I second the average shooter response. Good shooting Howard and congratulations!!

Bill

7. Bob M

Bob M Member

Ed, I plan on offering him $5.00 for the combo at practice Monday night.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ed, what type of person would that be?

9. Randy P

Randy P Member

Way to go Red, and Bob, on Monday night I'm offering $5.00 for the o/u barrels...and I'm pretty sure knowing Red he will be shooting that K-80 for a while. Not sure what load or how many times he'll change those loads, but we'll have fun harassing him!!!

10. Bob M

Bob M Member

Randy, do you think he will dig up some of the 5000 Active hulls he has hidden in his basement for a new load? OK, you offer him $5.00 for the OU barrels and I'll offer him $5.00 for the rest of the gun.

The first thing Red said yesterday when I talked to him was, 'the good Lord was with me today, Bobby'.

If he doesn't go for the $5.00, I might go as high at $10.

11. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hey Randy, tell Red to bring it along for the league shoot at Waynesboro on Thursday. A good many of our team members went to Elysburg this week and no doubt some of them witnessed the shootoff. Way to go Red.

Your pal, Phil.

12. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Ed,

I would like to know the answer also to RECURVYARCHER'S question!!!!!!!.WHAT IS AN AVERAGE SHOOTER??????.

Sandy Holehouse.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The look on his face tells it all ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. AveragEd

Sorry for my delay in responding - I was away at a sprint car race for a few days and don't type well on a cel phone. My fingers are too big or the keys are too small.

To me, an "average" shooter is a person who like most of us never has and never will achieve ATA All-American status or be a state champion. Most probably never will win anything at their state shoot. They are your basic, laid-back shooters who might dabble in registered shooting but don't make a job out of it (like I used to) or try to earn a living from it.

As Bill said, the look on his face says a lot. I'm going to interview "Red" one evening this week or next for part of my October column on ways clubs can build shooter attendance and from what several of his shooting buddies have told me about him, I'm looking forward to spending some time with him.

As far as what kind of person immediately sells a nice trophy on the Internet, well, I think most of you know I hate to see our better shooters peddling trophies that most of us would love to have the good fortune to win. If I was ever lucky enough to win a new trap gun (skill would have nothing to do with it), I would keep it as an heirloom for my children. After all, darned few trapshooters - especially us "average" ones - can say they won a $15,000 gun.

Now, if I needed the money to support my family, I'd sell it but you don't find very many folks who are that cash-strapped shooting trap, especially at a state shoot. And if I didn't care for the gun and my kids didn't mind, I'd sell it but do so very quietly and when asked why I was selling it, I'd say something generic like, "It just doesn't work for me." I wouldn't compare it unfavorably to another gun. Doing that and/or selling it on the Internet right away is an insult to the club that sponsored the event, the manufacturer that donated the prize and the dealer for that brand of gun who handled the transaction. If you want to sell it years later, that's different.

If that hurts anyone's feelings, I'm sorry.

I will never forget one new car announcement day back in the 1980s when our dealership gave away a very well-equipped new Chevrolet via a drawing in our showroom. The young couple who won it didn't seem very excited about it when I called them and wanted to know how much cash we would give them in lieu of the car. I told them we could not do that, as Chevrolet had given us some financial assistance for the promotion and would have representatives there to help us present the car to them.

A local newspaper had a reporter there and a radio station covered the presentation live. When the radio personality speculated during the on-air interview with them that they would enjoy that prize for a long time, they matter-of-factly stated that they had arranged to trade it on a new imported car and even mentioned the brand. Real nice folks, huh?

What goes around comes around, though. A year or so later, they had the gall to call our service department for help. It seems they were packing the car for a trip and left the doors and trunk lid open for an extended period of time, draining the battery and their selling dealership was too busy to come out. I told them that the Chevrolet they won was equipped with battery rundown protection and would have shut off the voltage to anything left on ten minutes after the ignition was switched off. I also told them that our shop was just too busy as well.

Ed

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ed, while I did not sell a prize gun on the internet, I did sell a gun (that I couldn't shoot at that stage of my shooting) for a camper that I needed to attend shoots and have a place in which to lie down in the A/C in between events, and to fund some more shooting. I did give Krieghoff a little of my own business afterward, but more importantly have recommended them and their guns to many, many others. They have a fan for life here...their service is fantastic, they are approachable, and they are one of the few companies that I can think of that supports state shoots on a regular basis. You can rest assured that Krieghoff and Deiter, himself, are greatly appreciated and respected by everyone that has either purchased, or won, one of their fine guns. Just like Deiter told me, I will probably be back to buy another one some day.

16. PA POOCH

PA POOCH TS Member

Along with KRIEGHOFF lets also thank Allem's Guncraft and the PSSA for their part and support in this venture.

Rick

17. AveragEd

Agreed, Rick.

Devi, I don't recall mentioning any names.

I just feel that if you don't want the prize, don't enter the contest. In 2001, I managed my second 200 in another state's singles championship. I was one of four non-resident 200s and the shoot-off was to be held that evening. To me, breaking that score was reward enough so I went into the clubhouse to see what the trophy was. I haven't won all that many ATA trophies but ironically, I already had the exact item, so I forfeited. Why waste more time and shells trying to get something I really didn't want? That's like entering a drawing for free replacement windows when you don't own a home. I told shoot management that I regretfully could not stay for the shoot-off, thanked them for their hospitality and left for home.

Several years ago, one of the largest canines in the trapshooting world participated in the Pennsylvania State Shoot and, of course, broke the 200 in the singles championship. I also had one and when the resident and non-resident shoot-offs and trophy presentations were over, I wound up walking with him to the parking lot. He opened the tailgate of his vehicle, threw the trophy in with numerous others and sarcastically said to his companion, "Just what I need - another one of those!"

If he didn't want the trophy but did want the All-American points, why couldn't he have autographed it and donated it back to the PSSA, who could have auctioned it off at a subsequent shoot? I lost a lot of respect for him that evening.

THAT's why I like seeing "average" shooters win something. They treasure those prizes forever, just as I do mine. I haven't spoken to the fellow who got me back into this sport in 1989 for several years but saw that he won third place in Class "C" in the singles championship with a 192. I don't know what his trophy was but I'm pretty sure that Robin Hartman will never sell it. But if he ever elects to do so, the whole Internet community will never know it.

Ed

18. AveragEd

According to the ATA Shooter Information Center, his assigned yardage is 20. What's the difference between shooting games and other events from longer yardage or practicing from a longer yardage, which a lot of people do?

My club runs an evening league every year where you shoot 25 targets from 16 yards and 25 from 20 yards the first week with the high three scores each week earning yardage for the following week. Since there are very few registered shooters at this club, most of the participants in that league wind up shooting from longer yardage than they would if they were shooting registered targets. If they were to join the ATA and win something from 20 yards, would that make their accomplishment less valid?

I wondered how long it would take for the sandbagging innuendos to emerge. The next thing someone will probably post about Mr. Burkholder is that he has a relative in Kentucky.

Ed

19. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

The first thing Red said yesterday when I talked to him was, 'the good Lord was with me today, Bobby'.

Amen brother!! congrats Red. Jr

20. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Howard's no sandbagger. He's gonna get some good-natured ribbing on Thurday from all his friends in the league. He might even get a little teasing and get called one. But he's not a sandbagger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.