1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WinMag - shooting a .410 in a .45/70

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hey you little redneck;

A buddy of mine shoots a Springfield Trapdoor 45/70 and he was wondering if he could shoot a 410 bore shell in the thing so he can take care of some varmints nibbling in his garden.

I told him to get a decent air-gun but he doesn't want to spend the dough.

A .22 is out of the question because he could get a ricochet from some of the rocks that are used as borders around the garden beds.

I remember a thread a while back about you asking about shooting a 44 Mag out of a 410 but I think someone posted that the 44 mag would be too small to fit in a 410.

I have seen guns chambered for .45LC and 410 so we was wondering if the 410 in a 45/70 was doable.

Don

2. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

no, but you can shoot deer with a 410 usen a 44 mag shell and bullet.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If he's got a .22 rifle or can borrow one, just get some .22 cal shotshells at the local sporting shop. They're quite effective and can be shot just like a rifle round. If he's really concerned about ricochets know that lead shot can ricochet just like bullets....Bob Dodd

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

DO NOT SHOOT 44 MAG IN A 410!! I have seen it cause a large bulge in a barrel.

The pressure of a 44 Mag can rupture a .410 shotgun barrel. At least if you are going to do it, make me the beneficiary of your insurance.

Stupidest thing ever so far. I thought only the drunken Polack would do such a thing.

HM

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

.22 shotshells loaded w/ #12 shot. Deadly on small critters to 15 yards.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If he doesn't have a .22, he can still get the shotshells in a variety of calibers, such as .357, .44 mag, .45 acp, etc.

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

If he reloads he could probably order wads from www.circlefly.com and load the .45-70 as you would a brass shotshell. http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/page10.html has instructions on loading brass shotshells.

john

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

John: Might work. The .45-70 and 3" .410 cases have very similiar volumes, and .410 loads might work in a .45-70 case, with proper .460" wads. I too wouldn't fire a .410 shell in a .45-70, as the .410's case head's .025" smaller than the .45-70's. It'd fit, though it'd rattle around some, but it'd probably split badly & blow. Phil E

9. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

wouldn't u use a .41 mag in a 410 since .410 is actually the only gauge that is really a caliber. I know guys who have done it but I wouldn/\'t take the chance of a blown barrel or worse. Sgt.

10. halfmile

.410 is the bore size, not the cartridge size. The chamber size is more like .430.

It's around the 4th of July, and the hospital emergency rooms are going to be busy.

If you'
    re going to screw with this stuff, you might hae to wait in the E. R.

I hope the genius shooting 41 mag in a .410 hasn't reproduced.

HM

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My buddie had an old springfield 45/70 that he used squirrel hunting with 410 shells. This was 50 some years ago. He is still around and the old rifle is too. I don't know how dangerous it is, but they both survived a lot of shots.

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Halfmile, Want to explain the drunken remark?

13. halfmile

Sure, the Drunken Polack was named Alizego Jakubovski. He took my pal Greeny's prized marble's Game getter .410 pistol (quite valuable) and fired a 44 Mag in it. Produced a large bulge in the barrel. Ruined the value, of course.

Like I said, I didn't think anyone else would ever contemplate such an act. BTW, My wife is Polish. Around here at weddings one of the songs played a lot is "she Likes Kielbasa".

Na Strovya.

HM

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've made up .45-70 shotshells for my various .45-70 rifles. The rifling causes a very wide, very erratic pattern with very little density.<br>
    <br>
    You'd be better off buying a cheap used .410 and using that.

15. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

Annie Okley was said to use shot in her 44-40 pistol and rifle to avoid shooting holes in the tent. The early 410's were chambered for 44-40 and are too short for modern 410 shells. This was supposidely the origin of the 410. Does anyone know more about this story?
    houston6

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Houston6, I've read that story numerous times, and it is accepted as the origins of the .410, but it appears no one has hard facts on who exactly did it. The case dimensions between the .44-40 and the .410 are similar (excepting the neck, of course), and it's easy to see how a stretched .44-40 could become a .410.<br>
    <br>
    In fact, if you look in old Stevens catalogs, there is reference to a brand of cartridge cases called "Everlasting". These cases had very thick walls, and did not swell like regular cases. They never needed resizing, and needed no crimp either. While most were for popular target rifles, there are some Everlasting cartridges in a .44 caliber that holds 50 grains of blackpowder (.44-50) and a longer one that holds 65 grains (.44-65). These are advertised for special order taxidermist shotguns, for the purpose of shooting small birds for nature mounts. Both of these are amazingly similar to the metallic .410 military issue cartridges. There's a drawing of these cases in the Stevens Number 50 catalog on page 111, of which a run of reproduction catalogs were made a few years back.
    <br>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.