1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wingmaster conversion for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter505, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter505

hunter505 TS Member

I have a Remi 870 wingmaster in mint condition. Gun is from the 80's. Would it be feasable to convert a field modle to a trap modle. She is 12 ga, 28"bbl.I would hate to by a new one, let a lone the expence. Any suggestions would be appreciated. steve pagano

2. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Pick up an 870/1100 monte carlo stock and perhaps a 30" choke tube barrel and go for it. You can't get set up for trap any less expensive than that. There is an old saying that's been around for years...."Beware of the guy who shoots a $500 870, he's probably going to take your money".

Good luck and have fun.

Larry

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely! The best thing about it is there are 870 trap gun parts being sold constantly, and are readily available. You can piece together a gun, and keep the original parts.

Just make sure you are getting a deal on the parts, or you may be better off buying a 870 trap all together.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What is your barrel choked now? If screw-in chokes, or Mod or Full, keep it. Get a Jack West stock for $200. It has an adjustable comb. Set it up to shoot a little high and go shoot targets. Mark

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

All the above are dead on, I shot a field grade 870 for several years before I bought a trap grade. For right now spend your money shooting & learning, maybe some moleskin to raise the comb a little, look at other guns--some people will let you shoot their O&Us--Single barrels--semi etc. a few shots just so you can see if "you" like that type. Now I shoot an even older Rem. pump, an old m.31 that I like, it just fits & feels good. Enjoy your 870-- Ross Puls

6. hunter505

hunter505 TS Member

The 870 has a 28" bbl with a fixed choke in full.It has a ventilated rib on it. Can i use this bbl and just put atrap modle stock on her. Thank's

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A trap stock will move your eye up, which moves the pattern higher, so that you still are seeing the target when you pull the trigger. If you shoot the gun as is, you will need to cover the target with the end of the barrel when you pull the trigger. How much higher you want the pattern will determine how much higher your eye, and your comb should be. Most trap stocks raise things an arbitrary amount, and you have to adjust to that new sight picture. You can raise things gradually with moleskin, until you decide what works best for you, then decide how to proceed from there. You don't need a new barrel. You might consider having a midbead installed, to facilitate a consistant gunmount, but that is a different topic. Mark

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

you could use your barrel as it is.

You could also try shooting trap with it just as it is and see how that works for you before making any changes.

9. rondl

rondl Member

Jack West stock with the bump buster works well.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hunter505, YES, you can simply find a trap stock - straight comb or monte carlo - pair it up with your full choke 870 and you are in business! I have just this set-up and it shoots better than I am capable of. Best Regards, Ed

11. Snooky

Snooky Member

2nd on the jack west. I have one without the bumpbuster and love it. Bought it from Speedbumps last year.

Snooky

12. hunter505

hunter505 TS Member

Thank's to you all. I will follow your suggetins.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I know a game shooter that shoots an 870 field gun with 28" plain barrel and kicks as*

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I know a guy who, while waiting for a release trigger for his regular trap gun, shot a 200 singles event with a 3" 870 field gun with a moleskin Monte Carlo build up and a Timney release. I seem to remember he broke a 199x200 with it.

Ron Burr

15. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

My son shoots an old 28 " full wingmaster for trap and he does great on the long range game too as the targets are falling off on the second or third shot and a 50 50 gun is an advantage. I sugest to shoot it as is and maybe try moleskin or a cheek eze pad to raise the poi a little. One other suggestion which you may consider. Field wingmasters tend to be a bit light. Add a skeet weight and some weight to the stock. This will make it less whippy, smooth out your swing, and reduce recoil as well. A Remington Supercell pad is also reasonable and fits most wingmaster stocks almost perfectly. Instead of a skeet weight you could insert a shell filled with lead or a mercury reducer in the front of the mag tube.

16. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I second the comment on adding weight.
    I have owned many 870 traps and they are really just warmed over field guns.
    Gun Parts Corp. has trap stocks for sale or you can fiddle with yours to get it to fit you.
    There are only 3 things that have more accessories than a 870
    #3 AR-15
    #2 1911 .45
    #1 Barbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

converting 870 wingmaster for trap

setting up 870 wingmaster for trap

wingmaster for trap

wingmaster trap stock