1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine and Tequila

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Apparently a vice my wife has acquired after spending a week in Italy is a growing taste for wine - which I know nothing about. She seems to prefer red vs white. Suggestions for a good red wine that won't break the bank. Since I live in Indiana it'll have to be available in this state or by mail order.

Secondly, I have a preference for tequila. Nothing sophisticated, just always bought Jose Cuervo. Suggestions for other brands - not looking for a $200 bottle - just wondering if there is much difference in the tequila brands.

If there's not much difference I can always stick to an old back up - Crown Royal Reserve on the rocks !

Thanks in advance.

Noel

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Some of Sammy's finest, Caba Wabo, as far as tequila. At least Sammy Hagar used to own the distillery. Patron works too in a pinch.

Red wine, and wine in general I know nothing about.

ss

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Wine Thunderbird As for Tequila anything will do after the first three or four it,s all the same .

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I prefer Ripple. but it may not be for the ladies. It seems to be more of a man drink.

For the tequila, just make sure it has the worm in the bottle, then ya are good to go.

Gne J

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

There is a wonderful winery on the north side of Bloomington that has some of the best table wines,,,,It is called Oliver Winery

Estancia is a good winery and their Meritage (blended) is real nice. You may also try some chiraz wines

Tequila for me is Patron, Sauza, and Herradura are always good pours and you don't need the lime and salt,,,,just good with a meal

Cheers

6. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

mezcal with the worm,comes with a bag of sea salt

7. Gunzup

Gunzup Member

Casadores Reposado, flavorful and best value for sipping served neat or on rocks.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Italian reds are generally dry, IF you have a Trader Joe's in your area check out the variety of red wines, I would try dry Italina Table Reds, or Chianti's about 5 to 6 dollars a bottle at Trader Joes. As a rule of thmb Chianti's are not that expensive check prices at Costco or liquor stores.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

California Zinfandels and Cabernet Sauvignons are a fairly safe bet for trying tasty reds. Try them until you find ones you or she prefers. You will pay less for modest CA reds than most any decent Italian or French similars.....Bob Dodd

10. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

We like Ste. Genevieve, Sweet Red...it is just that, sweet and red...about 9 bucks a bottle, but it is a large bottle. I also like some of the jug wines like Gallo, 1/2 gallon for 12 bucks or so. There are some good boxed wines too...Franze or something like that.

Never had much liking for the dry wines. If they say it tastes like oak with over notes of moss and has an excellent nose...I take to mean it tastes like crap!If it costs more than 15 bucks a bottle, I doubt I'll like it. My brother is a real wine snob and is always having me check out this great wine, only 80 bucks a bottle, and most taste like crap to me.

I guess what I'm saying is, try 'em, like 'em, buy 'em...gotta find what she likes and then stick with it.

11. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

OK, once again a reasonable question resulting in a buncha smart-arse answers and a few serious ones.

I'm a west coast guy, pretty familiar with some decent west coast wines. My suggestion for somebody in the midwest is go visit a good wine shop and talk to the owner. Most of these shops are owned by people who like what they do, i.e. deal in wine. You'll get the best advice on what's available to you in your area right there.

As for tequila, I'll admit to a fondness for the stuff and YES there is definitely a difference in what's in the $20 bottle versus the $40 bottle.
    Rules of thumb: look for 100% Agave on the label - Blue Agave is even better. Reposado means the tequila has aged a while (I forget the period of time, something like 6 to 24 months but that's just my best guess) and Anejo means it has aged longer, like over two years (again, best guess). Point is, like with a lot of good things, the older stuff is smoother. A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Brands, I like Herradura, Cazadores, Hornitos, but you'll find most tequilas that have the info I mentioned on their labels are pretty good and way better than than the cheap stuff.

As they say, your mileage may vary... Sorry to be so long-winded but you got into a couple of my favorite non-shooting subjects here!

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, I have spent a bit of time in the cabernet... And currently am buying an Argentina wine called "Trapiche". I buy their "Oak Cask" for about $8-$9 and their lesser brand for about $5. Trapiche is the #1 wine in Argentina. But my fave of theirs is their Oak Cask Malbec. Very cabenet like with a lot of character.

I have drank most of the under $25 cabs from CA and could recommend quite a few. But from a value standpoint the Trapiche stands out. You cna prob find a distributor via google.

13. philk

philk Member

Noel, there is a winery in Plainfield by the hotels we stay at during the US Nationals races in Indy. You can taste test every thing you want, might be something to do if you ever stay in Indy.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yellow Tail Cabrnet Sauvignon at $7.00 per 750 ML bottle from Australia.

15. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

You might try the Sattui family winery in CA. Great wines not found in stores, fair on pricing and shipping. Forget that tequila and stick with Kentucky Bourbon...lol.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.