1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windy Days

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brett44, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brett44

brett44 Member

Thought I was starting to do a little better with a few 25s here and there, until recently. It seems every time I go to the club there is a head wind, trail wind or cross wind that moves the targets one way or another. Average has dropped two or three birds per round. Does anyone have any tips for shooting better on windy days. Do I just need to learn to shoot faster or what?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Practice taking the target as soon as possible. If you can get good at doing that, it can be a big help on windy days. HMB

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We shoot in a night league where wind exist most nights. I actually slow down a bit. See the bird...determine what it's doing....shoot it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't really like to shoot in the wind/rain. My scores go down on such days. Last year on a windy rainy day, I watched Kay O. shoot several practice rounds. Later I asked Kay what he was doing practicing in the wind/rain. He told me that he doesn't get to practice under these conditions very much. Kay shoots better in the wind than I do because he will practice in the wind while I sit in the club house.

Pat Ireland

5. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning "brett44" -

You have a very good question regarding the rain and wind. I once asked Kay O how he approached the wind/rain situation and he told me the following:

- remember it blows on all the shooters as well as yourself.
    - don't try to be perfect - just go out to break every one you can.
    - half the shooters will give up once they loose a target, lower scores win too.
    - don't try to "out think" the target - err on the aggressive side and just shoot it.
    - in rain look through the glasses at the target and don't fixate on the rain on your glasses.

I hope that is of help and you can deal with those challenges. Good shooting to you in 2010.

Bruce Maxwell

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well, where I shoot most of the time, there is always wind. It swirls around, as the club is in a low pocket. We never know witch way it's comming Strangly, when there is no wind I can't hit a anything. I think it may have something to do with the wind-----------or lack thereof. LOL

7. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

In line with what Setterman wrote, I will hold a little lower on the house so I can see the bird sooner. This gives me a chance to see the flight sooner and determine where it's going. You kill the birds with your eyes; the better you see the better you score.

I also like to shoot the occasional round of wobble, it helps to point out when I have "developed" that oh so annoying habit of anticipating where the bird is going to go.

Relax, lower my hold, remember that the shot is faster than the bird and I have time to see it fly, and most important, laugh when it does something really weird.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am beginning to think the problem is with the White Flyer targets. They are smart. They know how to quickly move down in the wind just as I release the trigger. I think they do not want to be shot.

Pat Ireland

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Its always windy here in NE Indiana, except when its 90 and high humidity. I have more of a concern about how the wind moves me around than the targets. Yes your going to get clays that jump or dive, but its that gust that moves you and your gun right after you call for a target that bothers me. Wayne

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Being from the land of Kansas I have shot one or two days in the wind so probably not as experienced as some of the others...

The way to ascertain yourself disaster scores is to start screwing will your normal technique. Things such as 1200 fps shells instead of 1145 fps. Shoot faster. If anything, slow down and take alittle extra time to read the flight path. You can hold a somewhat lower gun to get a better read on the targets flight path but if you were smart you would already be doing this!

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wind causes me to shoot 7 1/2's instead of 8's. Aside from that I have to agree totally with the advice given to Bruce by Kay O.

Robert

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic Reinders once told me that most shooters lose targets from the neck up, especially in poor weather conditions. he said when the conditions are poor it made it easier for him to win because it knocks out most of the competition. he said be mentally tough and your chances of being in the winners circle will increase. he said a large majority of shooters are just looking for an excuse when they miss targets in these conditions. here is one example of Vic's mental toughness. i was shooting with Vic in the Wisconsin state 16 yard championship on a saturday. we shot the first 100 targets in nice weather. in the evening we got shot in a rain storm. i noticed that vic never took his hand off the forearm of his gun during the entire 100 targets, even when the round was over. afterwards, i asked him why he did that? he said i did not want my hand to get wet between my palm of my hand and the forearm? all i can tell you is Vic shot better in the rainstorm than most shooters. his second round was higher than his first?
    steve balistreri

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I can see holding a lower gun if it's windy but I'm holding a low gun anyway. I keep the same hold point regardless of how much or wind direction. But to ride a target longer in the windy condition to see what it's gonna do, that makes no sense to me. Some guys shoot quick anyway, but to shoot a bit quicker and still being able to aquire the target shouldn't be a big deal if you are a good shooter. I don't put myself in any elite group and couldn't hold a candle for alot of shooters and I don't find shooting a bit quicker to be a big problem. To let the wind catch a target or to give the wind a chance to catch a target seems senseless. All I ever shoot at trap targets is 7 1/2 shot, 20 deg. F - 95 deg F, dead calm to blustry winter wind and don't change the choke tube. Changing the choke tube is just one more head game. I would keep my head on the stock, aquire the target and shoot a bit quicker. Watch to see where pieces of your targets are hitting the ground and this will give you an idea as to how much quicker your shooting.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Spanky, When Pheasantmaster, I, and others say "Slow down" we not talking about "riding the bird". Wait just a split second longer to see if the bird is going out flat or elevating right out of the house. If you shoot too fast you'll blow right over a lot of birds.

15. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

When the wind is in your face,,,,leave the gun in the case,,,,,,,,,,

Some one told me that years ago but I never listened,,,,,,,,,,

I prefer the wind at my back and blowin hard, (Mo. State Shoot 1996),,

16. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

You can't let the wind get to your head, you have to shoot normally, see the bird shoot the bird.

Tony Fortino

17. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

what wind? Come down to the Silver Dollar and shoot, the wind never blows here.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The wind can actually get inside your head and begin moving in circles. This is more of a problem for shooters, like me, who have much empty space inside their heads.

Two interesting comments from pheasantmaster (Martin W.). First he stated that he grew up in Kansas, actually Western Kansas. There, the wind only blows once each year, but the blow lasts for 365 days. He also suggested slowing down a little when the wind is strong. But, Martin can slow down a lot and still be shooting twice as fast as most shooters.

Pat Ireland

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin (pheasantmaster), and Setterman, have the right answer! Shooting faster will only lead you to even lower scores over the long haul. One thing you must remember about shooting in the wind. The wind will effect a target FROM THE MINUTE IT LEAVES THE HOUSE. A head wind, or tail wind, will drive the target up, or down, as soon as it leaves the house. Taking just a split second longer to aquire the behaviour of the target will often make the difference between a dead bird, or a lost target. Shooting faster, or, "snap shooting", will cause you to rush the target and result in shooting it before you have actually locked onto the target... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Quote by Frank Hoppe- The wind is your freind!! Kind of like the others stated.Mental focus is #1 Try shooting at Sage Hill in Nevada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.