1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windy Day Shooting ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot the same shells (#8 singles and doubles, 7.5 handicap) when the wind is blowing and when it is calm. Some days, I shoot very well in the wind. Other times, the wind causes me much anguish. On some calm days I shoot good scores and on others, I embarrass myself. The effort I put into my shooting seems to be more important than the wind.

Pat Ireland

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Shooting when it's windy will "tell" on you. It tells whether you really look at the target or not. If you really look at the target you can hit it regardless of whether it's windy or not. If you don't really look at the target, if you normally just glance at the target, shooting in the wind will not be fun.

The basic advice is that you shouldn't do anything different when shooting in windy conditions.

enjoy

3. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

I have found that If I take my time letting the bird take it`s own final direction I score very well. That is the consensus around the fire place among the shooters who all score well in windy conditions. Trying to hurry up and beat the wind is only mildly successful. I favor quick shells, 8`s are fine. Im choke or full. And enjoy yourself, I never had such great practice!! And so much fun. Last nite we shot in 20-30 mile an hr gusty winds-challenging!!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Shooting clays in wind is tricky business. Wind velocity and the direction it's coming from has to be considered too. The only way you'll even know how the slight to very high velocity winds affect your pattern is patterning it during such winds. It's a PITA to do but you'll know how winds affect your POA in relation to the actual POI. A 10 MPH breeze will drift a trap pattern about 8 inches at 40 yards or there abouts! Above 35MPH winds will really play havoc with scores! Try patterning your gun during a tough cross wind, it's a real eye opening experience to totally miss a 4X4 sheet of cardboard that's sitting still? Shooting basics go out the door during hard blowing winds.

Just kidding guys! Don't pay any attention, just a morning ramble here :) Hap

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You want wind you should be at Silver Dollar this week.

Don

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I normally do pretty good in the wind seeing as I got quite a bit of practice in it last fall. I used the same shells as I normally use, 8's and my full fixed choke. Only problem I seem to run into is when the bird jumps right when I shoot...that cost me my 2nd 25, I'm never too happy when that happens. But it's all in fun.

-Jollytrapshooter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best shells for trap on windy days

clay shooting on windy days

gun for windy days

trap shooting on windy days

trap shooting tips for windey days

trap shooting when very windy