1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIGDON, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Anyone using it?? Is it good or bad? Are you using it in a business setting?

Any info would be apppreciated as I am buying some new equipment.

Thank you in advance.

Don

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've been running Vista Business 32-bit since January without problems. I did have to upgrade both my CAD programs and Adobe Creative Suite to get them running on Vista. Everything else ran fine.

Bear in mind you need 2GB ram and a 2GB USB 2.0 drive optimized for SuperFetch to make Vista sing. Since memory is cheap, 4GB main memory with the 2GB USB drive is better yet. Just to give you an idea, with 4+2, AutoCad 2008 loads in 3 seconds flat. Yes, that is three seconds. If Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended is in Superfetch, it loads in 2 seconds flat. Outlook in 2 second. Excel in less than one second, etc., etc. I'm happy with Vista. It's very, very stable, but so was XPSP2 on a workstation.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have it . It works about like the old XP. Had a few problems at first with older programs and printer but the companies gave me fixes and they work. I don't like to approve everything new coming in but I guess that keeps the bad programs out.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

zzt; Sounds like you run more complicated software than I would. I would be using it for spread sheets and accounting software. Thanks for the info.

Don

5. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i bought a new toshiba laptop{p105 s6147} i have windows vista in it & use aol. if you have aol.i wouldn,t recommend vista .i have had several problems. when i took it back to comp usa for work THEY THEN INFORMED ME THAT VISTA & AOL. DON,T WORK TOGETHER REAL WELL. I BOUGHT THIS SET UP USING COMP USA 6 MONTHS THE SAME AS CASH PROGRAM. I AM CONSIDERING TAKING THIS WHOLE DEAL BACK & TELLING THEM TO KEEP IT & SUE ME IF THEY WANT THERE MONEY.I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT A JUDGE WOULD SAY AFTER I TELL OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD & WHAT COMP USA TOLD ME AFTER I BOUGHT THE COMPUTER & HAD PROBLEMS.DWAIN

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Can you say turd?

Jerbear.... Bad mood

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I loaded it into a new machine that I built and it ran fine. I then tinkered with it to the point that I got totally frustrated with all sorts of problems, in fairness probably some of which I created.

I reformatted the hard drive and re installed Vista (Home Premium)and controlled my tinkering. It is now rock steady and programs load extremely quickly. Excellent Multi Tasking.

The only major conflict I still have is with Quicken 2004. Quicken runs fine but refuses to back up to my hard drive. I got around this by backing us to a USB jump drive. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a new version of Quicken, eventually.

My evaluation is that it is extremely fast, is very stable, but still has some issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.