1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I realize that there are some computer literate folks here who know a lot more, a lot more, than I. Anyway, I am quite happy with my "elderly" Dell computer running XP and its vintage is about 2002. In the future, it will not be compatible with Windows 7. I realize that one day one has to upgrade simply to do what most others do on the 'net etc. I am angry/sniveling 'cause I believe some of my favorite programs will no longer work under Windows 7. I am not entirely sure about that.

So I wish to ask if anybody knows: 1. Will MS Office have backwards and forwards compatibility with W7? 2. Will Adobe Photoshop 5 have backwards and forwards compatibility? 3. Will the elderly and antique Palm computing platform have backwards and fowards compatibility? 4. What about elderly, elderly, DOS ballistics programs?

There is some "cool" stuff with W-7 computers that I saw tire kicking..like a touch screen from Sony, etc. But...one hates to be forced to spend $$ for a new system due to old programs becomming unuseable.

'Preciate any insights; folks here have helped me many times about consumer product information.

Thanks,

David

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Help??? Thanks..

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Chango2,

I would suggest going out to Microsoft.com and downloading a compatibility piece of software. It will evaluate your hardware, and let you know if there will be any driver issues. It will also run through your software and let you know if any of it won't move forward.

I have some RAID controllers and such that Windows 7 will digest immediately. The only program that would require some tweaking is Win Fax, which is discontinued, but I still use it all the time receiving faxes primarily. Saves a lot of ink and frustration. I have a lot of software on my system, and was surprised that was the only issue.

That said, I am quite happy with XP Pro, and not losing any sleep not upgrading right now. I believe it will require a full install and reload of everything, which is no big deal, I do that all the time. It is time consuming however, and until 7 has rocked along a bit more, I am happy with XP. Many firms won't install a new MS OS until SP1 is around and tweaked.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Yes, download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor at the above site.

[​IMG]

5. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

You must be a Republican - 'angry/sniveling' about something that doesn't effect you, may never come to pass, and likely wrong on the facts (kidding).

Windows 7 is great, but no one is making you go there. Like an old Xray machine taking good pics, just 'cause a new new one come out that may take better/faster pics, the old one works as well as it ever did. If you're angry 'cause you have to pay money for something new and shiny that you want - well me too. Sometimes my worst instincts take over though and I can't help myself and I just have to spend money on something (which I guess is why I have so damn many shotguns). Thank god I can still control my feet from tapping outside my own stall though...

No need to ever go to Windows 7 unless you wanna. XP will be actively supported for years, and even after that will run forever, or until your PC breaks down - which could be tomorrow. When the day comes that your current pc doesn't work any more, I promise you that it will be because the hardware fails, not because XP won't work any more.

Unlike guns, computers do change dramatically from year to year, there is nothing about the computer you have from 2002 that hasn't been technically exceeded at a small fraction of its cost. When you decide you can't stand it any more and have to buy something new, suggest getting a whole new package including hardware and new operating system. For $500 or so you can get one that will run circles around whatever PC you bought in 2002 - don't waste $120 upgrading the O/S on a seven year old box that may die at any minute.

When that time comes to buy, go to Frys, Newegg, Tiger Direct, or even Best Buy or Costco. Greatest deals are on used refurbished Dells on Dell Outlet website.

So to recap, keep using what you have until the machine dies or you succomb to the temptation to have something new and exciting (hey I'm a divorce lawyer, that kind of thinking by people pays for the Pguns). When that time comes, DO NOT waste any money on upgrading the box you have, get a new complete package.

If you have a seven year old PC, its been on borrowed time for a while, drives of that generation tend to be questionable after about three years. Do backup anything on your current PC that's important to you asap, 'cause a seven year old drive is asking for failure.

XP is a great OS, on that box would not change if it were me. At home we've got two XP boxes and two W7 boxes, w/ no plans to change/upgrade the XP's.

Good luck!

6. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

I later realized I hadn't attempted a couple of your specific questions.

Palm - I'm guessing not, seems like we lost that functionality when we went Vista, or perhaps my wife just left Palm for blackberry about that time, the middle age memory thing... I'd bet that Palm support is gone, but any of that functionality available on most cell phones or similar devices. Ballistics programs probably will work unless they required a special driver that the writer/developer may not have updated, but I'd guess ok.

If a program works under Vista, it's going to work under W7. Most XP programs do/did work under Vista, problems were when a special device such as a specific printer or scanner worked under XP and the manufacturer went out of business or discontinued support and never bothered to update it for Vista.

On Photoshop, I believe you are asking about Photoshop Element 5.0 - yes it will work, I've got 4.0 working. MS Office is still around in a newer version, but I'm guessing that you'd have to buy a new version, particularly if you are running XP MS Office, instead of Office 2003, for example which works under XP, Vista, W7.

Unfortunately your hardware is probably going to be the area that lets you down, when your devices start failing. Ballistics and Photoshop probably ok, Office and Palm functionality may require a change on your part.

And remember - nobody's forcing you to do anything, Windows 7 didn't change a thing - your old box will just keep running as is until the hardware pieces start to die.

Again, good luck...

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, if it comes down to it, I likely can use a new computer and run XP on it so I don't have to buy a whole new MS Office Suite etc. Or I can also, come to think of it, go to dual boot with one OS XP and the other Win 7 so everything can be run.

But, again, can one run a dual-boot system with the new 64 bit stuff that's coming out?

I first got burned when I went to XP, snivel, from Win98, and my MS joystick I got for MS Flight no longer would work..

But I hear you, I'll continue just fine with XP until it is just not practical.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This is what you will need...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

But, works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

9. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Actually more expensive Windows versions may or may not help. The driver issue - such as Palm units, old printers, scanners, etc, may not be resolved in dual boot system.

What's going to likely end your run is the Palm unit, it's going to cr@p out on you with no replacement, so to build or buy forward based on functionality of a 'buggy whip' doesn't really make sense.

Most all computers now have 64 bit hardware, most all in 2002 didn't have the route complete, if at all. When you get your next box, you'll want to get the 64 bit O/S version. There is no problem, 64 bit O/S can run 32 and 64 bit programs. Newer software is written to take advantage of the 64 bits. But the key advantage is memory, now very,very cheap, 32 bit operating systems can use a maximum of 4GB (3.2 for apps). You'll want lots of memory, 6 or 8 GB min.

All applications will run better in a memory rich system, even the 32 bit ones that still run under the 3.2GB limit, because there are more resources for the other tasks the computer is multitasking. So get 64 bit o/s (actually a reason to go to W7 over XP on a new box - XP 64 not their greatest product, Vista 64 and W7 64 much, much better).

So prepare yourelf, your Palm days are limited, and wouldn't factor that in as you ponder your future plans. Definately get the 64 bit o/s and lots of memory next time, computer applications are more and more coming to take advantage of it. Even Photoshop 5.0 is a happier camper w/ more more memory...

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It seems a little like seeing how many reloads you can get from a once fired hull. You've gotten a lot of mileage out of a 2002 computer. Saying goodbye to old applications and peripherals is difficult, but when you step up to the current technology you may wonder why you waited so long. I'd suggest you keep your current system intact for the old applications you need and simply invest in a current and up to date computer. Laptops far and away exceed the needs of most users if bought wisely, may be worth considering. I don't believe I'll ever buy a desktop system again.

Robert

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I run a Dell Dimension 2350 and I think it is about the same age of yours. Mine will only read 1 Gig. ram where the next year model will read 2 gig ram. I liked this machine so well I went and bought another 2350 so when this one fails I will have another like it ready to go. I do have an external hard drive and back up every so often even though my information is not real important.

My neighbor got the Vista and hates it and I was not real crazy about it either. There was something real easy to do with XP and I never figured out how to do it with Vista.

Now I am thinking maybe I should have not bought the back up machine as it is just too obsolete. I think Windows seven is the way to go. PC World said it did load apps slower than XP.

I use an old (1994 era )Canon BJC-250 and also bought 4 more as back ups as it will fit the small width of my computer desk. I fill my own cartridges and also have back ups should a head fail. I have replaced one cartridges where the print head went bad but I had no idea it would last so long. I also should not have bought so many back ups. Does anyone know if this old printer will work with Windows seven? Probably could go to "add hardware" and see if it is on the list. Ray.......

12. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

IMHO - get a mac and you won't go back.
    by the time you add in all the updates/upgrades/software your over the price of an entry level mac book
    ~1K.
    I was a Dell/pc user for years and finally got frustrated with all the popups- virus software - browser navigation updates ~ although i do use pc @ work.
    my kids all use mac without any problem (4-11 yrs) and needed nothing more than bookmarking age appropriate sites.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Joe Potosky hit the nail on the head. Micro$oft added an XP Mode functionality to the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7. It is there to run XP in a virtual mode to enable you to run older programs under an XP window. For Office, I don't use it anymore, unless I absolutely need Outlook. Try OpenOffice. It's free and almost 100% compatible with Office. You can use Thunderbird for eMail if you need an email client that is not on an exchange server. Unless you experience a hardware failure, your old XP Machine will serve for another four or five years. Until Micro$oft pulls the plug on support. You can always upgrade the drive you have in your machine if you are worried about a failure. Just be aware that some bios versions will not support some larger drives. To do that, you can just clone the existing drive and swap it out. As for Palm, it's up top them to update the ability to run on Windows 7. If they don't plan on it, then you'd be stuck, unless the XP Mode solves that issue. 99% of older XP compatible programs seem to work just fine on Windows 7. I wouldn't try upgrading an older machine to Windows 7, since older hardware will usually run rather slowly and lose some functionality. Most Vista compatible machines will upgrade fine. XP does not really upgrade, since you cannot simply install Windows 7 on top of it. You'd have to do a clean install. Whatever you do, keep your data backed up. AN external drive works real good for that purpose. CDs and DVDs have sort of been outgrown for most users.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Chango2 you might want to check out the website I posted above it will check your software for compatibility and even check your computer to see if it is windows 7 compatible in case you want to upgrade the OS to windows 7.

Anyway all I did was google windows 7 compatibility you can also try.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Bob Lawless

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to all for sharing so much information; sure helped me do my "homework"...I guess the only thing that bothers me is losing the Palm capability. I found the Palm Pilot to be the most intuitive interface I've ever seen. It spoiled me; I cannot use a cell phone efficiently!! It just might be I-Phone or Blackberry time..and I hate the small buttons that one has touse on the Blackberry. I guess it's time to spend the time shopping eventually. In the meantime, I'll continue on with XP until it just will be impractical for online browsing, web page loading and the like.

Thanks again; any additional advice and input greatly appreciated.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Chango2 What do you have for a Palm Pilot? Make and Model Because I see a lot of them(PDAs)that are compatible with windows 7.

Bob Lawless

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

What rbmtrap said was pretty much what my computer Guru sons tell me.

No need to upgrade now as my XP Pro is working great.

But if at sometime in the future I decide to go for Windows 7, just let my son know and he will build me one with it already installed.

More powerful and faster than my old one...........which is plenty fast for this old phart.

That being said, my son said he really likes the new Windows 7.........of course he gets his for free.........lol

I'd probably like that too......haha

Good thread with lots of good advice.

Hauxfan!

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks again, I don't have my Palm at hand right now, it's down in the car..will check. Also, I looked at the interface (GUI) for the latest MS Word. Nice, but looks like something to relearn and not quite as intuitive as the old one I'm using from MS Office 2000. And that software does not come cheap; will MS Office 2000 be backwards and forwards compatible with Windows 7? I sure hope so...

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I just loaded MS Word 2000 on my Windowsd 7...no problems!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.