1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7: Photo Edit Program Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

I realize so many here are either highly computer literate or in the tech. industry....I am looking for a simple photo editing program for Windows 7, preferably free for the download, that will batch resize photos in common consumer format (e.g. jpeg, bmp, gif) for storage and e mailing.

My wife takes literally hundreds of pictures a day when we go on vacation..and...well, need I say more? I had a program that would batch resize (to save file size in bytes), but somehow that program got hosed and then lost when we had to reformat her computer.

Any advice appreciated; so many at this forum know much more than shotguns...thanks,you are sincerely my first bunch of "go to guys and ladies"...

David

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Try Picasa. One of the best free photo programs available.

3. trapster100

trapster100 Member

For batch resizing, look at Faststone Photo Resizer. Click on link above.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you try a system restore to get your old program back? HMB

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've used Picsizer for years.

Check it out "Here"

Enjoy!

Hauxfan!

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like Picasa the best and it is free

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Resizing pictures to a smaller size is probably the worst thing that you can do for a million or so reasons. The primary reason being that you kill the original resolution and quality of the picture and you can NEVER get that back. I shoot in what's called RAW format and largest size possible while gives 25MB files for each picture just so that I have the best quality to save.

1) Hard drives and space is cheap. If you run out on the computer, but an external drive.

2) You should not be emailing BATCHES of pictures to people. You can resize a couple with any application and email those. But if you are emailing a lot, they should be uploaded to an online photo album and just email the link.

Having said all that, I personally use the Picasa application and the online photo albums. Incredibly easy to use and does everything you need.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Wow, you guys sure put a lot of thought into this and thanks tons...I must experiment with the RAW format. The resizing is something the wife wishes to do, she takes lots of photos, I take a few compared to how many she takes.

I will look at all programs suggested...batch resizing is her thing..so I won't argue.

BTW...ever try one of those little Leica-lensed Panasonic point and shoot digital cameras? I have one, and I find it flat out wonderful considering picture quality/price.

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

I've never used this but have heard good things about it. It does batch work and saves your original by working on a copy and you save both the original and any changes like resizing in seperate files -- or some it's says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.