1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7,new computer wows

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by K-GUNS, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Just bought a new HP computer, AMD quad core and it comes with windows 7 OS. Little did I know they did away with email programs in win 7. Outlook express will not work, and my favorite mail, Thunderbird will not work with win 7. The people at Microsoft want you to use only windows live for mail. I tried it and do NOT like it at all.

And my accounting software will not work with win 7.

SO, if any of you are buying a new computer beware of the issues before you buy.

I have had several emails with tech support from people who I can't understand and they tell me its a level 3 tech issue and I am waiting for their reply.

The first tech I talked with said go ahead and re load windows XP pro over win 7. Before I did that I asked him if it would work since there are no drivers or recovery disc with this new HP ( only a mirror image on the hard drive) and XP won't have the newest drivers for what my new computer has inside.

Second email said don't do that ? Glad I didn't try.

Third email said this is a level 3 tech issue and we will get back to you.

I'm still waiting. Should have stayed with Dell I guess.

Anyway just a heads up if you are thinking about a new computer.

crab

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'm running Outlook on several machines with Windows 7.0 (MAC OS 10.2).

We've had no problems at all...

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

This is NOT a mac, I wish it was. The system said it's not campatable and I tried for over 3 hours and mail won't work, and neither will my quickbooks. When I inquired I was told the only mail that was designed to work was windows live ?

Perhaps Mac's have something other ?? If you can make mine work I am all ears.

4. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I had a bad power surge and wiped out the computer,and bought a new HP and yup windows 7 is not my favorite,even some of the older games will not work.Thanks Microsoft for the junk you sell.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Thunderbird (at least the latest version 3) should run ok in Windows 7. I have done so without problems. If you do have problems, then try running Thunderbird in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode under Win 7. This mode was designed to let some older or non-Win7 compatible programs run under 7. Has worked for many.

Jim R

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Jim I tried everything I could think of, then called comcast tech and then HP. No luck, so if you can explain how to, please write it down so I can try it again.

The download of thunderbird is the only one I can find on their web site, tried it several times.

It seems there are several versions of Win 7.

I have Win 7 home essentials 64 bit and it states NOT compatible every time I try it. I then try to run in XP mode as a fix recomended by win 7 by following win 7 directions and get the dialog box-not compatible.This was running Thunderbird in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode and it didn't work.

If you can direct me how to....please do.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have Windows 7 and love it.

I am using Outlook for e-mail. But, I think you have to have Microsoft Office to run it.

Works for me!

I also use Google mail as a backup. That is a good program or some people just use Yahoo for mail.

Lots of options out there.

Hauxfan!

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I just installed windows 7 in the last few months since I had a crash and I didn't like vista I had xp pro before and liked it but wanted something new.
    Ok I never used outlook express I only use incredimail email program you can get it free also.
    I do like the windows 7 now.
    Foggy

9. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Hauxfan! ...........I have comcast cable and use their email addy for fun and for my business and the mail program I use most and like best is thunderbird, but now I can't use it. Can't use second choice of outlook express either......and my quickbooks accounting won't work either, as win 7 tells me NOT compatible.

I know there are other mail programs out there but the ones I have used and like I can no longer use because of the design of win 7.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

crab:

Mozilla specifically lists the newer Thunderbird as compatible with Win 7. The latest version available is TB 3.0.1, so be sure you are downloading/using that version. Also, an update for Thunderbird is due out in early March per Mozilla, so perhaps that could also help with problems. There are several versions of Win 7, including both 32 and 64 bit, but I don't think this be a problem, still you never know. Could also be some issue with your particular hardware drivers, or possibly with firewall settings, and/or anti-virus program issues.

Best bet is to go the Mozilla/Thunderbird web site. Believe they have a tech support section there where you can ask specific issues with Thunderbird install and the compatibility messages you seem to be getting. I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Sony laptop) and do not seem to have any problems at this time anyway.

Jim R

11. bocephus

bocephus Member

Are you running win 7 in 64 bit or 32 bit mode?

Win 7 is like Vista.....except it works

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

When I got a computer with Windows 7. I had read that there were compatibility issues with it so I googled Windows 7 compatibility and it turned up the above website.

I checked all the software and hardware I had that I wanted to use. Before I bought my new computer. The only issues that I had were caused by the Microsoft Office version I installed because the new machine had a 60 free trial of a different version of Office it cause all kinds of conflict in Windows 7 when all the file from the trial version of Office were finally removed. Windows 7 work just fine.

Crab it would seem you didn't do your research before you bought the computer. If you had you might have found out that Thunderbird isn't list as compatible yet. When you try TB 3.0.1 it doesn't even find it so it must be very new. So you are blaming Microsoft because you didn't check it out???????????

Bob Lawless

13. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Bob I was just trying to inform anyone who is thinking about buying a new computer with win 7 that there are issues.

When I inquired I was told by many to make sure I get win 7 home essentials with 64 bit, so thats what I did.It was said it has a xp mode to run older software and in fact it does, but for some reason it won't work for me.

When I install the latest version of thunderbird on install I should get a dialog box that allows me to pick either IMAP or POP mail servers as I have comcast which is a POP 3 server but for some reason I do NOT get that box to pick from.

I have been told I might have a corrupt version and may need to re install the Operating sysyem but the mirror image on the hard drive might be bad also and there are no re install disc's or back up disc's.

I have been talking to tech support from HP and comcast. They are not sure whats wrong but assure me there is a problem

I was just trying to alert new customers that there are bugs out there.I am pulling my hair out and wanted to pass this info on.

14. jmas

jmas TS Member

If you have an older version of Quick Books it may be a 16 bit or 8 bit progam. I have been able to get some 16 bit programs (but not all) to run on Windows 7. I have had no luck running old 8 bit programs. Keep in mind it is not your HP computer creating your problems. It is the Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I venture you would have the same problems with any computer running that system.

jmas

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have no problem running Thunderbird on my puter with Windows 7. I do appreciate the fact that no mail program was included with 7.

16. ivanhoe

You guys are really confusing me I have a 64 bit Windows 7 OS and as I said I have no major problems with the system now. I had problems with the OS in the beginning due to a trial program of Office after the tech got all the file for that program out of the machine no more problem.

Jerry you said no mail program was included with 7. My version of Windows 7 came with Windows Live mail. Although not my ideal program I have no trouble making it work.

I also have Charter High Speed Internet and had no trouble setting email accounts. So maybe as you say crab it might just be the individual computer. I would not however by another HP as one was enough.

Bob Lawless

17. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Bob you are right but Live Mail isn't part of the operating system that you are puchasing and is available to most Windows versions.

18. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Crab

A couple more thoughts on your Thunderbird install problems. First, you do not need to designate POP 3 during install, but can do this when setting up your account after install. Depending on your provider, you may need to configure Thunderbird in specific ways to work with that provider. For instance, I have TDS, and since they use Google for email, I have to set my email program in particular ways, designating secure, ports to use, and other items for the email program to work with TDS. Second, TB 3.0.1 is no longer compatible with versions of Windows prior to XP/2000. But the program does have a "compatibility install mode" which, if checked/turned on during install can cause issues/problems in installing in Win 7. You do need to install TB using custom rather than express install to be sure you are not inadvertently installing TB in an earlier "compatibilty mode" which would then make it not work in Win 7. Under System Requrements listed at the TB download site, I found the following warning: " Do ensure that compatibility mode for unsupported Windows platforms is disabled for the Thunderbird executable in Windows."
    Hope you find some solutions.

Jim R

19. ivanhoe

Jerry944t I do realize that Jerry but I have Charter as a internet provider. In order to use a different email provider such as G-mail or Yahoo with Charter you had to use live mail in Vista and charter would pick up those account and display after the proper sign in.

I could never get my G-mail account to come up on Charter without first signing into Live mail(unless I was doing something else wrong)and Live mail when using Vista never looked/worked like what is in Windows 7. That is probably why I thought it was a separate program as I notice a big difference in the method of displaying the mail.

I never had any trouble with Vista that I didn't create myself. As it turns out the same can be said for Windows 7 so far anyway.

Bob Lawless

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have XP Home Edition on my desktop and Vista Home Premium on my laptop. I guess I'm weird but I like Vista better. Oh, I could do without some of the "Are you sure you want to do that?" warnings but over all, I like it better.

I've been giving thought to a new desktop so this is an interesting discussion.

I use Outlook Express for my email on the desktop and Verizon's website email on the laptop - I just never bothered setting up the Outlook that came with it. I open all emails on Verizon's site and download the ones I want to my desktop PC. That way, any problem emails never get into my PC.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.