1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windjammer Wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Express, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Express

Express TS Member

A friend of mine gave me several bags of Windjammer Wads. What is the advantage of using Windjammer wads? Does the extra wad pedals cause the pattern to open up more? Are these wads effective for the 27 yard line? I'm currently loading a Federal Gold Medal hull.

Thanks in Advance.

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Yes they do open uo much faster than the 4 pedeals. I do not know for sure but I would say no not good from the 27. I would stay close to the front with them as they open up so quick. I have used the 1oz and my son like the 1/1/8. As for the Federal hulls I am not sure they will work for that. I believe they are for the Remmington and Winchesters.

Corey

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

8 pedals open up faster to drop it out of the shot pattern. I would not say they are spreader wads. The wad supposevely will not fly as far. I found them at the same distance as all the others though.

Put into a dryer bag and run the dryer for 5 minutes on delacate. It will open the pedals up nicely when loading.

Reduced recoil, reduced pressure is a fact.

I use them for singles and caps although I am not at the 27 (23). I load them with Promo, Rio Primer, in an STS Hull.

All in all, I think they are good wads. If you decide you don't want them, I'll take them and I'll pay the shipping, just e-mail me. bucpride29@hotmail.com

Good Luck, Jeff A.

4. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Express, All I use is windjammer wads. Singles, both shots on doubles and at 27 yard. I have had some good scores at the 27. lots of 97's and a few 98's. Not sure if I like them on real windy days but don't be afraid to use them on all yardages. Also like Big Al 29 says put them in the dryer for a few minutes and they load nice.
    Chris

5. dfm

dfm Member

You'll find both WJI & II too short for good crimps in a Gold Medal unless you're using a heavy charge of a high lofting powder. Not that they can't be made to work but why bother with the hassle.

They're tailor-made for the AA/STS style of hull.

The multi-petal design enhances early wad drop-off so it doesn't follow and fly into the shot column disrupting the pattern. They work quite well for their intended purpose.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I didn't know the had washers and dryers in Michigan? Yea,...I did see one in the ditch once coming home from Cabelas.

Rosey

7. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

I have been reloading using Windjammer wads, Green Dot powder, Federal primers and either federal paper or plastic hulls for 20 sum years. Most of that time I was shooting from the 27 yard line or 26. And I can say with all honesty that Windjammer wads from long yardage perform flawlessly. This combo really smokes targets. Dont let anyone tell you they wont work from long yardage. That information is just plain wrong.

It seems to me that when the shot leaves the barrel the wad is way behind so what difference would it make how many wad pedals there are? Maybe Neil has tested different wads and can report on the subject.

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

In my experience they fly just as far as any other wad, but they're already behind the shot a foot out of the bbl., so what. Look in any loading manual that has recipes for them and other wads....the pressures for the jammers are consistently lower. I load them exclusively including 27yd loads and defy anyone to buy or build a better performing shell.

Buz

9. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

My 14 year old daughter broke a 99 with windjammers on Sat. at CA SCTP state shoot.Nothing but dust on most of the targets.

10. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey Express DONT LET ANYONE KID YOU Use them at 27yrds .Ive been using them for a long time at the 27 30 and 35 when we shoot annies They do just fine . 19.5 red dot 209.fed primer in goldmedel works just fine .Chuck

11. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Rosey, I can't afford a dryer. Must be you still don't know about the arrangement I have with your wife. While my wads are drying I spend some quality time with the miss's..lol
    Teet

12. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I've been on the 27 for years and shoot only windjammers in Federal cases. Have patterned windjammers out of every trap gun owned. They are one of the best long yardage choices made.

Maltzie

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd rather use the old Hornady Versalite wad for the long yardages. They have patterned quite well compared to many others I've tried. I like the performance of the Jammers, it's just not worth the extra hassle of loading them. I don't get any better patterns with them. I like the reduced pressures, but it sometimes takes more powder to get the velocity, so why bother? If they work for you and you don't find them a pain to load in your press, by all means, use them. I'll be using a four petal design until they find a way to make the jammers load better. You can send any unused Jammers to FlaLagarto. I'm sure he'd love to have them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how good are windjammer wads

what yardage is a windjammer wad good for

windjammer wads for long distance shooting games