1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINDJAMMER WADS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

Any info on test done with this wad?? 1 1/8, with more petals are they better for short range then HCP's or for both?....Thanks ........COFFEE

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use them in some real heavy porch loads, work very well in any load

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've tried using WJ wads a couple of times but I always seem to have problems with one or more of the petals folding inward in the hull and I end up with shot on the outside of the wad. I've tried putting them in a pillow case and tumbling them in the dryer for 5 minutes, but the shot cups eventually take on a barrel shape and the petals fold in anyway. I didn't know I had the problem until I had to disassemble 4 boxes of over-charges and found 16 in 4 boxes with folded petals.

I've tried the blue CB clones but they're heavier and stiffer than the OEM wads.

How do regular WJ users deal with the petal folding problem? (I'm using PW loaders)

Morgan

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Captian Morgan's problem with the windjammer or for the most part any 8 petal wad is the type of loader that you use!! The PW seats the wad and shot charge at 2 separate stations unlike say a spolar that seats and drops the shot at the same station thus not allowing the petals to fold inward.I like the windjammer better than the downrange XL-1 because they tend to fold inward much less.The dryer does work to flare out the petals.As far as the petals opening up quicker vs the 4 petal wad I have shot them both on paper and they are just about the same on the pattern.PJ

5. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Have loaded thousands of Windjammer type wads on a Ponsness Warren with very few problems and love them for skeet, trap and handicap. WTW tried putting a connector between the petals which helps a little but have found that the Downrange are far more superior due, I guess, to a little bit heavier plastic. Have found the best way to avoid the folding petal problem is to put them in a mesh dryer bag, put them in a clothes dryer for about 10 minutes (be sure the stings are tight to avoid a major conflict with wife if the bag opens) and then spread out as many as possible on a flat surface. Give the wad a quick visual check before putting it in the wad guide and set aside any with folded petals for a second cooking.

6. laura!

laura! Member

I have used the claybuster version of the windjammer in STS hulls. I have the problem (about 1 per box) of the wad not seating down far enough in the hull and getting a big puffy crimp. Does anyone know if the windjammers or the downrange versions work better in STS hulls? I have switched to blue dusters, but prefer the 8 petals for singles.

Thanks,

Laura

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I use the DR replacement for Windjammer (8 Petal). They are less prone to deform, but some do, so I keep a $6 hairdryer on the loading bench and when I start to come across some mis-shaped ones I blow dry them for a couple of minutes and load another 100, or so. A small pain in the kiester, but I think they're worth it. My 1 1/8 caps. load just hammers targets from the 27.

Buz

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Why do you use a pillow case. I just dump them in and let them go until they get pretty warm"

Simple...it's a heck of a lot easier to get one pillow case out of the dryer than to dredge around in a hot drum trying to pick out hot wads by the handful.

I've just recently discovered lingerie bags intended for women to wash their skimpy delicates in the machine without getting them beat up. Size of a pillow case, made of open mesh and closed by a zipper; custom made for heating wads.

Morgan

9. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/gcbluerock/?action=view&current=Windjammer.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The Downrange Mfg. Windjammer rpl has a slight taper to the shotcup that takes care of most of the issues with folded petals. It does not have those annoying petal ties that cause the petals to fold in on themselves in certain machines, and erratic crimps in others. They are made of first rate finest quality virgin plastics and load easily in any machine without the stiffness and popping and other perils often reported. If you want the Rolls Royce version use the Spolar. see the Downrange website http://www.downrangemfg.com/ for a dealer near you or E-mail for more info if needed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.