1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

windjammer wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Anyone use these wads for handicap?

2. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Mike,

Check out some of the WJ recipe's with Alliant's Unique. You'll find good speed with lower pressures than most. I buy the ones from clay buster. I've patterned them and they pattern excellent out of my guns. They're slick through the loading machine and don't leave a lot of plastic in the barrels.

I like them for Handicap, second shot Doubles, Long Bird, sporting clays whatever.
    I load them in STS(7.5's) /Nitro (8's), Federal Papers (faster 7.5's) and old Win AA(faster 8's). Unique's a little dirty but who cares? I clean my guns after I shoot them anyway.

Shoot safely, well and often!
    Tom

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The windjammer is a very versatile wad. I have used them off and on for many years. These are white. I really dislike the claybusters

4. mike T

mike T Member

If it makes any difference I am talking about the 8 Petal downrange orange colored ones.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The DR wads aren't widely available from retailers yet.

Keller

6. morgan1

morgan1 Member

The DR wads don't seem to seat as well as the CB windjammer I have been shooting them for twenty years and they work great at any yardage!

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, there is no need to spend time tumbling DR's wads in the dryer to straighten the petals. Comparing the DR wads to the real-deal WJs, the DR petals lay flat an even inside the hull, the WJs curl and overlap.

Keller

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

for handicap wads you might try DR's DRV wad.

9. mike T

mike T Member

Here's the deal I have a lot of the windjammer wads. Maybe 1,000. Just don't want to throw them away. Just want to use them up. I really like to use the red versilite for handicap and the downrange 1oz wads (the 4 and 8 petal one for 1 oz for 16's and first one on doubles.
    Just did not want to handicap myself any more, I have enough trouble by my self.
    mike t

10. mike T

mike T Member

Here's the deal I have a lot of the windjammer wads. Maybe 1,000. Just don't want to throw them away. Just want to use them up. I really like to use the red versilite for handicap and the downrange 1oz wads (the 4 and 8 petal one for 1 oz for 16's and first one on doubles.
    Just did not want to handicap myself any more, I have enough trouble by my self.
    mike t

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mike, for what it's worth, I have a good friend who, before going through treatment to beat throat cancer, was a 27-yarder who had the highest handicap average of all Arkansas shooters for several years. He used nothing but eight-petal wads, either Windjammers or a clone.

Ed

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Mike, I use DR Windjammers exclusively including STS, Ched.209, Promo 18gr., DR Jammer, 1 1/8oz, 8's from 27 yds. Our club has a 50 rock derby on Sun. and Wed. I've won the last two with 48 x 50. If you have any problem with the 8 petals curling...I bought a $6 hairdryer from Wal-Mart...2 or 3 mins. of that and they open up like Morning Glories.

Buz

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The windjammer clones are all different. The only thing they have in common is eight petals. None are like the original Windjammers, except one from CB, CB4118. Therefore, they cannot be lumped together under one name, Windjammers. The petals don't mean much, it is the rest of the was that determines what type it is. For example, the purple DR windjammers look like a Winchester wad with 8 petals. It is the equivalent of a CB1100, which is a clone to the Win WAA12SL.

14. plaw

plaw Active Member

I am with johnny, give me the orginal windjammers!

15. revbook

revbook Member

I like the Windjammer originals but too bad the Windjammer distribution system sucks. I can't find a local source in my area that even wants to carry them.
    Don

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have both original Windjammers and Downrange WJ-12-RPLs on hand and I see nothing different about their cushion sections. I also have some Downrange DRHRF8s - they are a yellow eight-petal wad with a Remington "Figure-8 style" cushion section. Perhaps DR also makes one with a Winchester-like cushion?

ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

windjammer shotgun wads