1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windjammer wad identification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

A friend gave me a bag of Windjammer wads and I can't determine what they are. There is a phamplet in the bag that only says "500 12 GA. Windjammer Tournament Wad". The wads have 8 petals and are blue. There is no part number so I really don't know what I have.

Don

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Based on your description I would guess 1 1/8 oz.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You got the good ones, 1 1/8th oz, I use a lot of them.

Gary Bryant

4. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

According to the WJ website, they only manufacture 3 wads, the white 12 1 1/8, the yellow 12 1 oz., and the blue 20 ga 7/8. What's up with that?

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Are they light blue? If so, they could be replica Claybuster Windjammer 1 1/8 oz.
    stlflyn_2010_0704145.jpg

6. locdoc

locdoc Member

These could have some age on them as many years ago the original WJ's were blue.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

7. revbook

revbook Member

I suspect they are older wads and are definately Windjammer, not Claybuster. I also looked at the website and found only the three wads listed. Windjammers website doesn't offer a recipe to be used with these wads.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You have the original Windjammer Tournament Wads. Very light blue color. Used mostly for 1-1/8 ounce loads. I never tried them for 1 ounce.

Wayne

wayneo_2008_0303193.jpg

wayneo_2008_0303205.jpg

wayneo_2008_0303206.jpg

9. revbook

revbook Member

Wayneo.....that's them! Do you load those wads?

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I couldn't even guess how many thousands of WTW's I've loaded. I don't use 700X anymore, and only shoot 1 ounce loads except for games. My favorite load for years was:

AA Hull

WTW

1-1/8 ounce hard 8's

18.5 grains 700X

Win 209 primer

1145 fps. 7400 L.U.P.

WTW's always ran a little lower pressure than most wads. I don't know why. One of the best wads ever designed. I guess thats why they are copied so much.

Wayne

11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I’ve been using windjammer wads exclusively for quite sometime. I mostly buy the Downrange version when available. I’m on my second case of the orange version at the moment.

I mostly reload them in STS’s, Gun Clubs and occasionally AA’s. I don’t think they work quite as well in the newer style AA’s to compared to the older AA’s. I never reload them in Federal hulls and mostly stick with the 12S3 wad.

The windjammer works very well for handicap loads with a low pressure powder such as Green Dot or International Clays.

Dale

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They are lower pressure because they are flat on the bottom. AA's are higher, they are concave, so much so you can hide a marble in the up. F8's are in between.

Got that from the engineer in Alton (winchester) that analyzed my shells.

hM

13. revbook

revbook Member

What would be a good 1 1/8 oz. load using Red Dot in Remington hulls with Cheddite primer? Seems like it would be a good wad to use for handicap with Green Dot also.

14. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I load 19 grains of greendot in old silver AA hull with a downrange windjammer replacement 1 1/8oz of shot. Fiocchi or win primer.

Herman63

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
windjammer blue wad

windjammer wad reviews