1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Windjammer/downrange wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rob111, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob111

rob111 Member

Whats the difference? Is one using different plastic? with the same components, is one faster than the other? Thanks in advance..Respectfully,Rob Mize

2. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

The DownRange replacement is made of premium plastic which like their other wads will leave very little residue in your barrel. Generally speaking, the DR wads seem to have a little more velocity and a little lower pressures than other comparable wads plus these windjammers are a great color. I really like them although like all other 8 petal wads, occasionally you'll get a bent petal.

3. rob111

rob111 Member

Longhorn, Thank you for the info..I thought there would have been more replies,I guess not many people shoot DownRange products .Respectfully,Rob Mize

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

No... lots of people shot Downrange wads. What people DONT shoot are the Windjammer or Downrange Windjammer clones. Do a search on Downrange wads here and you will see 100's of posts.

IMO...for Rem hulls the Downrange XL series is as good as it gets.

5. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Why not "Claybusters"????? I've just started loading and bought some claybusters, anything wrong with them??? I loaded 4,000 shells with them and only shot acouple of hundred...THANKS!!!

6. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Clayshooter08,

Objective comparisons are kinda difficult, but my IMPRESSION is that downrange wads leave less plastic residue in the choke. As to the 8-petal Windjammer design, as previosly mentioned in the thread, a petal gets bent into the drop tube more than occasionally.

Ed Wenrich

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

tried them all and they all work just fine. My bore cleaner eats plastic like it is candy so i don't care if the wads leave two pounds of residue in there. Since I clean my gun frequently and with a bore cleaner designed to dissolve plastic fouling I just shoot whatever wads I can lay my hands on. The factory wads are no longer even close in price to the replacement wads. I have a case of the old Blue windjammers if somebody wants to buy them shoot me a PM. Jeff

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Huh? I have shot no less then 50,000 Winjammers and never had that problem? I suspect it is because i use them only in plasctic tapered hulls like STS and old style AA and I always used at 18 to 19 grains of 700x, Clays, Red dot and Federal primers or Wnchester primers. Never used CCI or Remington primers as they always seem to chronograph much lower speeds with the same powder charge. Wad pressure may have been an issue perhaps? WHO KNOWS? I just know it has never been an issue for me and I have shot then since I was 12 and I am in my 40's now. Jeff

9. arrow

arrow Member

I have 1 oz windjammers that I had a seal problem with in the cold weather. these were yellow and beveled. Talked to windjammer and they told me they changed the 1 oz last year to work better with the new AA hull.
    I have found the wads work fine in warm weather. Good thing as I have 30000
    of them.

Bryan

10. rob111

rob111 Member

at the ohio state shoot Dr. was giving samples away,where can I get the orange
    windjammers..Rob

11. dglong

dglong Member

I have just finished up using 5000 DR wads that are a clone for a waa12sl and they leave and unbelievable amount of plastic in the barrel even more than claybuster. I bought them hoping it would cut down on the plastic but the opposite was true.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I fail to understand why on earth anybody gives two shits about plastic fouling in the barrel? if you use a bore cleaner that frees plastic fouling all of it is gone as soon as you clean the barrel? The funny thing is that so many people use a bore cleaner that does not remove plastic fouling and they have no idea how much fouling is in the bore anyway!

The difference here is that you can see plastic as it hangs out the barrel. But that does not change the fact that whatever wad you use is coating your barrel with plastic fouling. YOU JUST CAN'T SEE IT! The first time you clean your barrel with a bore cleaner designed to remove plastic fouling you will shit yourself!

How about gobs of plastic coming out the barrel? I will bet you don't think your gun has that problem do you? My buddy sells bore cleaner at some of the PITA shoots and offers a free cleaning service to guys so they can see what is in their clean barrel. He has had guys accuse him of somehow putting the plastic in the bore! Guns that have been meticulously maintained for years but have never had a solvent with a plastic releasing agent have gobs of plastic in them.

The funny part is it doesn't seem to hurt anything? Maybe it does? Make some Eds red bore cleaner and use it on your barrel and then scrub it with a bore brush. If your gun has been fired much and cleaned with Hoppes, Shooters Choice, ETC. You will be surprised at what will come out of your barrel that you thought was clean. Jeff

13. GRR

GRR TS Member

The DR Windjammer is the finest wad available for Rem STS and Nitro hulls. Look at any reloading book and you will see that the pressure drops greatly when using Windjammer wads, and this equates to recoil. My loads average 1190-1200 fps and the felt recoil is less noticeable than with other wads.

Yes I do get some of the 8 petals bent in when loading, but it doesn't seam to make any difference.

I now shoot one load for everything singles, handicap and doubles. It is a pleasure to only have one reload instead of three different ones.

Keep up the good work Kevin........

14. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

I have used Downrange windjammers since the 2006 grand. Great wad & Kevin is a great fellow.

Rick

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Also use DR Windjammer RPL for one oz loads. Pressure is low. Have had no problems in my AA hulls.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just bought 2 cases of the old Windjammer Wads 10,000 for $63 a case. I load Windjammers exclusively I don't care if they are original, Down Range or Claybuster, I see no difference, I shoot a 1 1/4oz load in the Rio Hulls w/26 grs 800-X. Beautiful buddy line back-up load w/6s.

I am still looking for a wad that will replace the Remington SP-12, Kevin at Down Range gave me some Yellow 1 1/4 wads and they are too tall compared to the SP-12, my hulls puke with them, SP-12s load beautiful.

I also load the windjammer in an Active Hull w 1 1/4 oz 6s or 5s with 35 grains Longshot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Hey Jeff, what is the cleaner you are talking about, i would like to try it? I know you are on the left coast and i am on the east coast, windjammers from DR is all i use, bent pettals are no problem with a Dillon loader, it drops the shot as it seats the wad.. Joe

18. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I don't know what cleaner Jeff uses,Being frugal ,I use carburetor cleaner from Wal-Mart,,then a bronze brush ,,you should see the crud come out of the barrel ,,At less than two bucks,,it works the same as the expensive stuff...MX8 Dave

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The stuff I use is cheaper then that if you can imagine! Recipe sent trapshooterjoe7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

windjammer same as downrange