1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind & Recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

May 5, 2008
    A couple questions generated by my experience at a shoot yesterday:

1. - Do you change your shot timing if the wind is really blowing ? Specifically, do you shoot any quicker before the wind has more effect on the target ?

2. - Shooting doubles; on one pair I break the first bird, swing on the second bird, pull the trigger and get a "click" = misfire. The biggest surprise was that I darn near fell off the station ! I guess I was "bucking" into the gun anticipating the recoil of the second shot. I wasn't even aware of it. My gun has a "Bump Buster" and I shoot fairly light loads so recoil isn't a big issue for me. How do I stop doing this as I'm sure is can cause misses.

Thanks for any advice
  2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shawnee, Kansas, USA
    "How do I stop doing this as I'm sure is can cause misses."

Try a Terry Jordan wall chart. It stopped me from doing this.
  3. hopper810

hopper810 Member

Nov 15, 2009
    The only thing i can think of is this. if you are the only one shooting,have someone load your gun. sometimes they put 2 shells sometimes not. this way you won't know whats in the gun. just a thought.

4. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

Dec 16, 2009
    From my experiences, when I see guys falling out of the box on doubles, the resulting cause is usually shifting their weight from left foot to right foot and then back to left foot as they take the shots. In essance striding into the shots.
  5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Also begs the question: Does a release trigger give an advantage in the wind? Also, I felt a young lady shot better than I in a windy venue last Saturday. She had an 83, I, an 84. (We were on the same squad.) HOWEVER, she was shooting an OU that had to have been more difficult to keep steady in the wind. More "sail" area due to twin barrel area; the winds even moved the barrel of my SBT sideways at times and one time moved me off of the sight picture for a miss! It was that windy.

The young lady also had more consistent scores on each post.

Therefore, although we score things on a yes/no basis, I think the absolute score in the wind is not the entire story.
  6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I do not try to shoot faster in the wind. I d shoot a little more aggressively and that results in shooting faster.

I also stumble forward a bit when I have a misfire. I must be leaning forward as I move to the gun and the recoil results in my regaining balance. I am not sure this is bad.

Pat Ireland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.