1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind question..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Wondering if there is a rule on stopping a shoot because of sudden wind?
    We were shooting yesterday at a sctp comp. It started at 12 noon, light breeze very nice day, at or around 230 terrible gust of wind came up, people chairs were blowing over, caps were flying off, and the targets.. well they either went straight up like sporting clays or straight down like the spring was broke on the thrower.. One target that went up and was missed came back and almost hit the trap house.. I asked the scorer about us stopping and letting it die down but no cigar.. we had to keep shooting unless it started lightning.. I have never been in this situation, and didnt know the rules.. thanks!

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

The show must go on. During the LasVegas1000 we were getting at least 30 mph winds and we continued to shoot. However, they did cancel one day, but that was because of a pending lighting storm heading our way.

Bryan

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Unsafe conditions trump all rules pertaining to the show must go on. Management can stop it or shooters getting hit with flying debris in severe winds can also. When Mother Nature ruins a good day, even a chicken has enough sense to run up under the porch and you know how big his head is??

Hap

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Come and shoot in New Jersey, there is never any wind ???????

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You can hear lighting but you keep shooting. If you see lighting then you can stop.

Wind, sorry you keep shooting. Hint, you have gun trouble. You can't close your gun. You have something in your eye. Your gun may have broke. You have a leg cramp.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the conditions are dangerous you stop shooting. HMB

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the fun a good Philadelphia lawyer could have when and if a wind blown object seriously injured a trapshooter at a big range? Especially if told to continue shooting or else?

Hap

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

Nobody in trap shooting has to do anything. If you want to shoot you can, if you want to pull out you can. good luck finding squadmates after you pull out of a few, some won't shoot in the wind. Living in KS. I can't remember the last time i shot when it was calm. But the choice is absolutely yours and yours alone....... mark crist

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You simply have to use some common sense. If there is debris flying around I would stop it. Wind strong enough to cause a missed target to head back toward the line is too much.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

How about one complaining about the heigth of the birds. I think they are supposed to be a certain height to be a legal bird.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yeah and phony excuses got a couple people suspended a couple of years ago.

Unsafe is unsafe - walk off the line and talk to shoot management.

Don

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In the military @ Charleston, we had tropical working hrs. 0600-1300. Also, if the heat index went over 100 knock off ships work. There should be some kind of safety guidelines as far as dangerous/health related conditions are concerned. This game is just that a game, no one should die trying to participate.
    Last year @ Sparta there were a few close calls.

Phil Berkowitz

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

and who is forcing anyone to do this?? The choice is YOURS!! But if others will and want to shoot in the wind, why do people complain?? We have more windy days than calm ones in KS....

14. pdq

pdq Member

I like shooting in the wind. In a lot of cases, it completely hoses people who hold way high over the house and spot shoot the targets at a predicted spot. Miss a couple of shots and the effect on them can be amazing.

I just hold lower than normal in case of a diving target and tell my myself I'm shooting doves. Roman candle targets? Follow them up and when the time is right, break, em. It's fun.

I don't mind 30 - 40 MPH wind if that's all there is. If there's driving rain right into your face however, that's a different story.

Nothing can be more fun for a squad than to have targets flying everywhere and still breaking them. Lots of fun stories afterwards. Similar to shooting wobble trap.

It's rarely calm around where I shoot -- you learn to compensate.

Pete

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot in the wind and you will beat 75% of the other shooters. Can't remember if Nora or Phil said that in a clinic.

16. metal1

metal1 TS Member

im from the so cal desert and it is rare for it not to be blowing 30 it really does make a better shooter out of a person.jeff