1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind effect on shot string?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

shot in a good wind today, effect on bird path is clear to see, but I am wondering is there an effect on the shot pattern itself or does the velocity overwhelm the 20-30 mph gusts? Seemed like more holes in my pettern, anybody do any testing here?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

I hear if you use a faster trigger it negates it.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wind can blow the shot cloud a little and the target a lot. A wind can blow both me and my gun around a bit. The wind seems to never blow me or my gun to the right spot. The comments about trigger speed and barrel length are counter intuitive. Somewhere I have some numbers about cross winds and shot movement. I will try to locate them.

Pat Ireland

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

At short yardage it should have little affect. Don't worry about it just shoot the target.

Why do you even put this garbage in your brain?

Don

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's a far larger effect that you would think. Even at 13 yards, the effect of a side-breeze will effect the result, so testing POI in any wind at all can only mislead you.

Neil

7. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

That table in trapshooting USA looks wrong: The time of flight to 40yds for different muzzle velocities varies but the drift doesn't.

I may have misunderstood something, that's why they have editors, right?

Andrew.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Average protecting shooters detest shooting in high winds for good cause! I don't consider winds up to 30 MPH as high winds but from that velocity on up, scores suffer big time!

Years ago we shot at Inyo-Kern gun club in Ridgecrest,CA in hurricane force winds! According to the airport a half mile from the club, wind gusts exceeded 90 MPH that day!! I won the high gun award that day with an 87, one of only two scores in the 80s!

I won't mention the unbelievable leads necessary to break clays in such winds either. Had I not known the wind effects from a ton of patterning my gun/loads in severe cross winds, my score would have been like the others, dismal!

Hap

9. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

On Saturday I was at the Md State Fall Handicap and there was severe wind during event 1 and moderate wind during the singles. The wind was left to right, and the hard rights were killers. While I used to think that wind was not an important factor, i noted that there were no 100's and few 96+ posted for events 1 & 2 before i left.

For me, I can tell you that there 20+ times when I could not hold my barrel steady and at least 10+ times, i had to reset. The swaying was truly amazing and everyone in my squads were affected. Was it the birds, the pellet spray pattern, or the shooters? I think all played a factor....

10. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Thanks, so with the 8s I was shooting 7.5" per 10 mph wind, given we had 20-30 side gusts thats 15-22.5 inches so it is significant. So independent of flight of target I need to adjust aim about a foot down wind.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

We have all seen targets jump in a headwind a stay flat on a tailwind. How does a strong left to right wind effect a hard left out of one? Does it cause lift, and significantly slow the target? What does the same left to right wind do to a hard right out of five? Is it a flatter and faster target, can it change the angle from 22 to 25 or more degrees? I know.... these are questions for the middle of February.

Wayne

12. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"So independent of flight of target I need to adjust aim about a foot down wind."</I></blockquote>

I'd adjust up wind and let the wind blow the shot down wind into the target. But don't forget that the wind is also going to cause the target to drift as well. Which one is affected more by the wind determines how you need to compensate.

MK

13. Neil Winston

Yes and no. 20yard.

Yes, the shot drifts at least that much.

No, trying to adjust for it won't work.

Neil

14. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Try standing on the trap house when calling your target it easier......

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I was taught to shoot 7 1/2's in the wind as launched from any given velocity, 7 1/2's arrive at the target quicker and allow the wind less time to push the shot around.

I also have been told to increase my timing and to shoot the targets close to the house before the wind can move them around.

Why no comments on shooting 7 1/2's versus 8"s in the wind? Does the wind affect each size shot to the same degree?

Yes, another 7 1/2 versus 8's question.

Ed Ward

16. Neil Winston

Tighter chokes produce shorter, not longer shot-strings.

Neil

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Are you saying I can't adjust because you can't count on the gust? If given a steady left to right wind of 10 mph with gusts of 20-30 in same direction then I should? Yes unknown1 is right I need to aim left or up wind of target, although I was finding I actually needed to aim right of what were slightly left targets coming out of the house because they blew to right of middle stake. Also 7 1/2 would be better as chart showed 7.1" versus 7.5" drift with 8s due to momentum due to greater mass at same velocity.

18. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I was taught to shoot 7 1/2's in the wind as launched from any given velocity, 7 1/2's arrive at the target quicker and allow the wind less time to push the shot around."</I></blockquote>

You're ignoring the fact that 7½ shot presents more surface area for the wind to act against while it is hypothetically getting to the target faster.

MK

19. Neil Winston

I'll post it when I get home, TB. By the way, even the shot-string over water demonstration is the opposite of what it appears to be. That is, it shows pattern diameter, not shot string.

Think of it this way. Imagine you had the longest shot string possible, every pellet lined up behind every other one, from the place where the first one hits the water all the way back to the gun. What does that shot-string look like on the water? Answer: It doesn't look like a shot string at all; it is just one hole in the water the diameter of the shot.

Now imagine the contrasting case, all the shot in a 30-inch-diameter disk of 0.090 thickness. What does that look like as it enters the water at a very low angle?

Neil

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I am confused. Is some one saying that 7.5's going 1200 FPS get to the target faster that 8's going 1200 FPS?

BrownK80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot string wind drift

wind affect shot string

wind effects on shot