1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind effect on leade?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Had posted this on another board without much response. I know you guys won't disappoint !

What is the effect of wind on a pattern impact point?

Say a bird is flying in a stiff breeze and is almost stationary, you can't shoot directly at it. How does the wind effect the lead relative to a normal target? If you normally had 3 feet of lead, would you still have 3 feet for the "stationary" target or maybe 1 foot?

Now the other way around, bird flying with the wind, how much more lead due to wind only ?

or is it a fuhgeddaboudit?

thanks

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The last one.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why not pattern your gun and favorite trap load in the wind sometime? Try some west to east prevailing winds as the wind speeds approach 30-40 and see first hand? I guarantee you the answer won't be the last question asked in your survey!

Hap

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The effect is if your thinkin about it you will miss.Jerry

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If memory serves me correctly, I think you will find normal trap loads at 40 yds will have about 9 inches of drift in a 10 mph cross wind.

Jim

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wind will move shot but I don't know how we can compensate for that except by using larger shot traveling on the fast side.

We never think about leading a target, it just happens. If I look at the target and stay in the gun, my gun seems to automatically lead the target so that the lead in my shell hits the target. I like words with two different meanings.

Pat Ireland

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I remember reading when Ed Lowry worked on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service test on mallards, he found #6 lead shot drifted 11.1" at 40 yards with a 14.5mph. crosswind. These were probably game loads with a muzzle velocity of 1300+fps. I would think that a spinning clay pigeon with its larger surface area, and moving slower would also be drifting in the same direction as the shot, but how much drift I don't know. Didn't Neil do a bunch of test on targets and wind a few years ago? Wayne

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way. Two friends and I were duck hunting on the Bay. It was windy as hell. 30 to 45 winds. It was rough. My friend asked what is that over the marsh? My friend who lives in the area said that is waves in deep water. It was rolling. We were in a box blind and a duck came in as nicely as you want. He said don't shoot till I say so. He grew up on the water and my other friend is better with a rifle then a shotgun but he does OK. I can handle my own. Anyway the duck came in and he said NOW. We all got up and shot. The friend that shots OK shot 2 times. The friend that lives there shot 3 times and so did I. The duck flew off. We just looked at the duck and then each other. It was so windy the shot was being blown to the rightside of the duck. Because of the wind we couldn't hit a thing. The next day we hit what came in without a problem. Yes the wind can be a problem.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat, I never think about leading a target, it just happens.

As to wind, wind that blows from left to right speeds up right angle and slows down left angle targets. When the wind blows from right to left, it speeds up left angle and slows down right angle targets. If the wind is blowing hard, you get some real fast targets or targets and/or some that slow down quicker than normal.

See the bird, get a good fix on its probable flight path, swing and and smash it. I don't have time to think about shot drift, just to where the target is going.

IMO, both the target and shot will drift in the wind but the target will drift much more because of its larger surface area and significantly lower density.

Ed Ward

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

There has to be a difference in clay birds and real ones simply because one has only the initial energy and the other is self propelled.

All the same, I have missed incoming clays that had stalled in a stiff pick up gust just as I have missed "stationary" live birds flapping like hell only to stay in place.

I understand the automatic response but only the truely experienced shooter hits it. The opportunities are few and the learning hard.

By the way ...just try to post pattern boards in high wind.

Dont recall Brister addressing it specifically.

Other thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.