1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind Chimes for V.N. vets.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Read below the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When visitors first enter the museum, they will hear a sound like wind chimes coming from above them and their attention will be drawn upward 24 feet to the ceiling of the two-story high atrium.

Dog tags of the more than 58,000 service men and women who died in the Vietnam War hang from the ceiling of the National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum in Chicago on Veterans Day, November 11, 2010. The 10-by-40-foot sculpture, entitled Above & Beyond, was designed by Ned Broderick and Richard Stein.

The tens of thousands of metal dog tags are suspended 24 feet in the air, 1 inch apart, from fine lines that allow them to move and chime with shifting air currents. Museum employees using a kiosk and laser pointer help visitors locate the exact dog tag with the imprinted name of their lost friend or relative.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Whoa

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That's sobering. Very sobering. I saw the Moving Vietnam Wall. It made an impact on me but the sight of all those dog tags really makes it seem more personal to me. Like an actual piece of them
    hanging there.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Incredible!

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

very Nice

7. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Impressive! For those of on this forum who fought in RVN each one represents a fallen brother and yes sister too. Our war was small, sometimes called the "Platoon" war. Small unit action was the norm. Yes, there were several battalion or larger engagements but the vat majority were on the smaller scale. I go back to the wall dedication and my first visit there. It really wasn't the wall itself that shocked me but the size of the directory! It was the size of a large telephone book.... That made me realize what over 58,000 names looked like... Rest in piece my brothers and I will see you on the other side..

Van

8. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

That is wonderful! So glad you shared this. Thank you for all of our service men and women I thank each and everyone of you from the bottom of my heart.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is a neat tribute to those who gave all

My buddy send me the info on this a few years ago, it told how much it weighed, I forgot what the numbers were but it is pretty heavy

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.