1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???WinchesterAA???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OK_Shooter, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

I have that problem when reloading AA hulls with the Downrange XL-1 green wads. When I switched back to the Claybuster CB1100 wads the problem went away. I can use either wad without problems when reloading STS hulls. I use a MEC 9000.

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

All I reload in 12 gauge. Haven't had any problems.

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

My old PW does not like the lime green wad from downrange at all.A friend of mine talked me into a case of those little green devils and we ain't none to happy.They do ok in the green hulls but not so well in the AA's.I think I'll just pawn them off on my buddy and go back to the pink things.Never a problem with them anyway.Trapshooters must have all the new stuff or we can't win!.....lol.....Most of us can't win regardless of the color of our wads.Have a good day....

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

when I load AA's with my MEC they only like the AA12 wads, anything else looks like crap.

Same loader any wad any other hull look very good.

My answer, I stopped loading AA's, even when they are free not worth the hassle!

Al

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

jmheritage , I'm currently using the 1 oz DR wad and they will do the same thing on my PW. It is not a problem. The hulls are tapered and the wad wants to spring back up. The crimp will move the wad to the proper position. Is the finished shell ok?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The new AA wads have a tapered base to get rid of the problem. HMB

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Loading claybuster 1 oz. wads in the NEW AA hulls causes my crimp to cave in in the middle leaving a hole for the shot to fall out of--the old AA hulls crimp like factory---my loader is a PW 900. I could adjust the crimp depth but I really HATE the new 2 piece base wad in the newer hulls--when I run out of the old style AA's I'm going to Rem. STS's. Winchester really screwed up their AA's imo.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I tried the DR "green wads" in AA's and I hated them. Went back to CB1100 and no issues.

SW

9. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I use the Neon Green DR-XL-1 in both styles of AA hulls and never had any problems. I use a MEC 650. In fact they are the easiest to load of everything I've tried. Not sure what y'all are doing wrong? I do make a cam adjustment between the AA and HS hulls to get the crimps perfect but that takes all of 10 seconds...

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have loaded severial hundred thousand AA's. Use a AA wad as I do, and you will never have a problem. Spend a little extra and get the best. Stay away from the clones. I've tried them and have always gone back to the AA wad. I use Green Dot, 21 grains for my 27 yard handicap load.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

jmheritage , I think that shot on the reloading table is just an inevitable part of the reloading experience.