1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by highview72, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Just wondering if anyone has used a winchester super x2 or the new x3 for trap. I never hear much about them as a trap gun. Whats your opinions.

2. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Thanks, anybody else? Any durability or breakdown issues?

3. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Nobody else shoots a winchester?

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They do not make them with a trap stock. This is why bobody shoots them. Jeff

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

highview: I happen to be a Winchester fan. But I remember years ago when I went to a car show. There was an individual that wore a t-shirt that read, "Sure they made Corvettes after 1967, but who gives a $h!t". That kind of reminds me of Winchester. i.e. "Sure they made Winchesters after 1963, but who gives a $h!t". Seriously, many Winchester fans, to include myself, favor pre-64 guns. Exceptions would be the Super X-1 and the Y-Model 12's. Winchester went down hill when they began to cheapen their guns to compete. But I guess that's what kept them in business. (Up until now) Aside from the aforementioned 2 guns, I don't see a lot of interest in the Winchesters. A person looking for a semi-auto shotgun would be better off with the Remington or the Beretta. (But I do like my Model 12's and my Super X-1 !!!) Just my $.02. Ed

6. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

One of my athletes uses one. He is the number two shooter on the team, right behind the athlete that uses a Beretta 391 trap model. It has been an accurate and reliable gun for him, but a shellcatcher is a must. It will throw the shell right at other shooters. They don't offer a trap model, but they ought to. But to my understanding Browning doesn't currently offer an auto trap either--just sporting clays models.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Browning gold is the same gun, I believe. don't think trap wood is available for them either.

HM

8. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Im going to be shooting trap for the first time this spring and i have two guns to choose from. I own a Winchester sx2 12 ga w/ a 28'' bbl and a franchi I-12 white gold 12 ga with i think also a 28'' bbl. Which one would i be better off using?

9. highview72

highview72 TS Member

They both fit me well. I havent used either of them a whole lot. I guess what im asking is would either of them have certain advantages like durability,cycling target loads or choke availability. Ive only used them hunting and they both worked very well but i used factory chokes and regular shells.

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I shoot a sporting model SX2 and replaced the piston @4K. Now approx. 13K and no problems. It shoots high out of the box. Likes to be clean and wet. At a price point of approx. $700, it is a good shooter.

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The Super-X 2 can be had in a sporting model(which is about as close as you'll come to having a trap grade from them). It is a shame they don't offer a trap gun in the Super-X 2, because the gun is a natural pointer.The tapered rib puts you right down the barrel and the gun is very reliable. I am an 1100 fan, but to be honest, I think the Super-x 2 is a more reliable gun. Who knows, maybe Winchester will offer a trap Grade, but their marketers don't seem very interested in target shooters right now.

12. highview72

highview72 TS Member

Thanks guys. I did a little research and ended up buying a s-x2. Im new to this so it will at least be a good starter gun. I found this new 2002 nwtf Gun of the year. It has a nickle receiver with gold inlay for $800.00. Very nice looking gun, similiar to what the Elite looks like now. Ive been told the winchester is made in the same factory as the Browning Gold and some of the parts are the same so it should be durable. We will see i guess. Thanks again
    Mark

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just think. if you can shoot with one hand over your head,like in the video, you have no need for a recoil reduction system, pfs stock, adjustable comb, lock stock, edwaqrds reducer, or adjustable rib. and never need shoulder surgery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester sx2 durability