1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Yellow Boy??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I was talking to a cousin yesterday at a family celebration and he said he had a Winchester Yellow Boy made in 1867 ... anyone have any information about these rifles? Thanks, Bill Malcolm

2. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

An 1866 Winchester with a brass frame. What caliber?

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I forget what caliber it is. His Brother had passed away and he was telling me about some of the 300 or so guns his Brother had. He kept some, but I think some folks got some real bargains. He told me he sold them for 2/3 of what his Brother had paid for them (as long ago as 30 years). I think his Brother was a very astute collector and many of these were sold at a fraction of their current value. I didn't tell him that and he sold most of them to friends of his Brother's, so they went to a good home. Another one that he kept is a Brown Bess. Bill Malcolm

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I saw a Yellow Boy on Antiques Roadshow, 1863 Model I believe, they valued it at $35,000...Bill

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Model 1866 winchester - 170,101 rifles made. mfg. 1866 - 1898. Here is where we separate the men from the boys. 170,000 rifles is quite a few so they are not as valuable as you might dream. The first model is the high end, condition is everything with these guns and we are talking about many thousands of dollars difference between 95% and 80%. Not only that, there are fakes around as well. You really need to know what you are looking at - meaning that you are getting close to the deep end of the pool and you need to have swimming experience. Grading standards are not relaxed because the gun is 150 years old. 80% is still 80%.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Winchester 1866 "Yellow Boy" is the next evolutionary step in the Winchester toggle action lever guns. It's the Henry rifle updated with a King's patent loading gate, and a wood forend. It was the forerunner of the 1873 Winchester.<br>
    <br>
    A couple decades back, Uberti, who makes Henry and Winchester 1866 rifle and carbine clones, advertised they were going to make them in .22 LR. I nagged and nagged the manager of Uberti USA for one. He finally said he was flying to Italy, and would see what had become of the project. When he got back, he called me and said that Uberti of Italy was not going to go into production with the 1866 in .22 LR. However, he was able to get three 1866 carbines and six rifles made in .22 LR, and per my request he was holding one of the rifles for me. These were the only pre-production guns made in .22 LR. Toolroom examples, really. I still have it. Pretty nice gun.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't have my price guide books handy, but I'd expect even a fair or poor condition 1866 to sell for a couple thousands dollars.

Almost all of them were chambered in .44 Henry rimfire, though some centerfire guns were produced towards the end of the 1866's run.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.