1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINCHESTER XPERT steel load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Any opinions on the Winchester XPERT field & target 1 oz, 1325 fps #7 steel load? I plan on using it for trap (is it legal?) and upland hunting. Thanks. John

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Great shell....We use them at our Trap club here in Naperville...I have broken targets out to 70 yards during our dove shoots!

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I just completed a Pheasant and Chucker hunt with my grandson's, using steel shot. I am disappointed and unimpressed by steel shot for upland hunting, altogether. We used both Winchester and Kent Fast Steel.

In a race to the bottom, the Kent way out-performed the Winchester. In my research, I discovered that almost all commercial steel shot is now being made in China, just another reason to avoid it.

1 oz. #7 steel shot could not reliably bring down 20 yard, going away Chucker. The 1500fps #4 Expert steel was a bit better, but wasn't much good after 40 yards on Pheasants, either. I have used steel target shot before, on a commercial 5-stand, and found it reasonable. Live birds, are a much different story.

Good dogs are the only thing that saved the quality of the hunt. I was able to persuade the preserve owner to let my youngest grandson use Fiocchi nickle plated lead, and he became the one-shot killer of the group, with his 20 gauge. If I have a choice, I won't be doing any more upland hunting with steel.

JMHO,
    Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.