1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester WT12 orange wads Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WesleyB, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I thought that the WT-12 orange wad was for Tapered wall cases only. But what do i know?

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have been using the WT12 wad in Fed. papers since it first came out.
    I have never had one problem with this wad, winter or summer.
  3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Keeping pressures to around 9000 PSI will insure proper performance in any climate.
  4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A lot of ole' timers say that quite a bit about using tapered wads in a straight hull. I've been doing it for years without any ill effects on shell performance. Just like Shooting Coach said, keep the pressure up to 9,000 psi and all is fine.

On the other hand, straight wads in a tapered hull I've never had much luck. Bad bulges in the base of the hull and poor crimps seem to be the norm here. Even though the loads are listed, I've never had any luck.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    Rapid City SD
    Don't use the Orange WW wad in a Federal plastic or paper case.

The wad cup diameter on the orange wad is 0.702" whereas the diameter of the wad cup on the correct wad, a Federal for instance, measures 0.718". You're giving up 0.008" on all sides of the wad cup and that's enough for powder to pass by.

You *can* do it, but, boy, you are giving up lots of pressure to blow-by. I've tested many of these with my chronograph and you DO LOSE A LOT OF PERFORMANCE to loss of fps.

I have also tested the reloads at the testing facility at H-S Precision here. When someone says to keep the pressure at a certain level, how in the heck could you possibly know that without the sophisticated equipment to pressure test them? 99.99% of the shooters don't have access to this equipment. You can't go by the powder manufacturer's recommendations on pressure, because they WILL NOT test a load using the wrong wad.

This has been discussed many times on this site... but there are still some who refuse to believe the data. Consequently, do as you please, but the data substantiates the results.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Tapered wads in a straight hull can be done, but why do something if there is a beter alternative. Use the WT-12 wads in tapered hulls and get a decent wad for the straight walled tubes. The federal 12S0 and 12S3 are some good ones nd there are several from Downrange that will fit the bill. Even some of the more obscure offerings from Nobel Sport can do quite well. I've never really had great results using a tapered wad in a straight hull or Straight wad in a tapered hull. I use what's designed for the hulls I'm loading.
  7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Two separate questions have been raised on this thread (less expensive Winchester orange wads ; tapered wads in straight walled cases).

First, the Winchester orange wad does give consistent pressures at warmer temperatures but they lack the elasticity to make good seals over burning powder at cooler temperatures. The inconsistent pressure results in velocity variations.

Secondly, a tapered wad in a straight walled case will not make a good consistent seal over the burning powder. This is to be expected if the over powder cup is smaller than the internal diameter of the case.

My two above conclusions are based on actual data gathered from a pressure gun. It is important to remember that a load presented in a reloading manual may, or may not be a good load. The manual will give information about the safety of a load but not the quality of the load.

Pat Ireland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester orange wads wt12

winchester wt12 wads

wt12 wad