1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester WST powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by atashooter, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atashooter

atashooter Member

Easy question... What color is WST ? Is it like the same charcoal color of like red dot or Green dot, or is it a silvery type color? I cut open a factory AA light ( 2 3/4 equiv ) and the powder was silvery. I did 2 shells and there was 16.0 grains in one and 15.7 in the other, which don't match up with the listing for WST that duplicates the factory load,... it calls for 18.5 gr. Thanks !!

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Silver.

I use an ultra light load for 16's - a "G P/W bushing which does not even show on the P/W powder chart.

Chronographed them and they are a bit over 1100 fps.

I do load some for handicap (27 yards) and use an "I" bushing. I wrote on the back that in 1994 this was equivalent to the Silver Handicap AA factory shells at about 20.1 gns, also says its my 1999 handicap load. I try to duplicate a factory load for all 27 yard shooting to be consistent. Has worked for 30 years from the 27.

My hang-tab says this is 12.4gns.

My all-time favorite powder is the old 452AA by Winchester. Similar color and consistency.

The hang-tab for the singles load also tells me the "G" bushing throws 18.6gns, but I think that is wrong and at 1160fps for an 1 1/8 oz load.

3. atashooter

atashooter Member

Thanks !!

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

WST is very fine, and silver colored.

They don't actually use WST in the factory shells, but I believe WST is the closest thing to what is in the shell, that we can buy.

Michael

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

Yes, I noticed compared to like Red Dot, the flakes were way smaller.

6. dfm

dfm Member

WST's also great in standard 9mm, .40, and .45ACP pistol reloads. Very accurate, clean burning, and easy metering.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

19+ to 20 grains will work fine in everything. It's the perfect powder except the smell is awful.

Neil

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

DFM, Yea, I load some 45 acp also ... I'll try it in that. The thing that really got me was how clean these shells were, ( Compared to the Red Dot I've been using for 20 years ). They were new, cause I didn't have time to reload before the shoot. And I loved the way they shot. As far as smell,... well let's just say, ain't nothing smells worse than me after a trip to Taco Hell. LOL

9. jtf650

jtf650 Member

Neil: You've got me wondering- what makes WST the perfect powder? James Fawcett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester hang tab